Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vaults needs altered enemy choosing? Currently at hardest on HNTR difficulty  (Read 3164 times)

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile

When I played DoomRL on HNTR, I found the Vaults to be one of the most difficult special levels in the game; in fact, I probably only found the Mortuary/Limbo to be tougher. I regularly found myself expending more resources on it than the worth of the rewards of the level. So to my surprise, when I started playing HMP, while other special levels went up a noticeable bump in difficulty, the Vaults actually got easier, significantly so. It was a pure breather level, and went from one of the hardest to one of the easiest special levels in the game.

By this point of the game, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a Fireproof Red Armor, which ensures Arachnotrons and Barons will hit you harder than the VMR will. And since above HNTR it's pure VMR here, you can just don that armor and not have to worry about Barons and Arachs wrecking it on you. Additionally, due to the cramped nature of the level, you can't really exploit the dodgeability of the Barons' attacks.

The biggest issue though is the fact Barons wear armor they find, and well, there's armor for the Barons to wear in the Vaults they spawn in. So unless you rush them immediately and put yourself in significant danger while risking destroying the items within the Vaults in the crossfire, you'll be guaranteed to be fighting armored Barons. And it's likely they could be wearing Red/Exotic/Unique armor, making them take forever to kill (as well as making it very likely that any good armor that spawns will be brutalised, if not outright destroyed, before you can get it).

As such, I think Mancubi and Revenants should be the enemies in HNTR, Arachnotrons replace the Mancubi in HMP, and Arch-viles replace the Arachs while Barons replace the Revenants on UV/N!.

I apologise for the nuisance if this has already been addressed and fixed in 0.9.9.8.
Badges - [26|26|26|17|5|0]
Medals - 35/43

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Agree, Bump, +1.

Hope this wasnt a necro, because I want to see a dev response to this.
Pages: [1]