Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 14:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stupid, stupid monsters  (Read 6722 times)

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Stupid, stupid monsters
« on: January 24, 2007, 15:14 »

Hello,
I just decided to switch from "Hey, not too rough!" to "Hurt me plenty".  First of all, I managed to finish the top level with all four medikits intact (even though all of them were picked by some former human) and at 100% - never could do that on lower difficulty levels!  Second, level 2 already had some former captains, which gave me a super-early access to the chaingun.  Third, there were some combat shotguns present as well - also nice.
Thus equipped (and being already at level 2 - EE(2)), I decided to step into Arena...

... I never had easier time there!  (Remember, this is my first attempt at Hurt me plenty!)
One of the reasons is that chaingun rules.  Cacodemons don't always shoot - sometimes they move, and one of them tried to shoot me through the nearby wall, wounding itself in the process.  Anyway, three bursts from a chaingun beat 3-4 combat shotgun shots with 2-3 moves between them any day!
The real fun, though, came later...

The third wave of monsters had two Hell Knights.  However, they were the easiest to dispatch - I saw one, stepped back one step and shot at the place it's been spotted.  It never moved!  So, I just killed one and then the other from out of sight range!  I always take EE(2)/Int(3) path, and, playing on "Hey, not too rough!", noticed that monsters always move even when out-of-sight.  Why were the knights playing sitting duck?  Why didn't they react to me when I came into range?  Has anyone noticed this?

By the way, my first impression is that this difficulty is easier so far - faster level-ups, more weapons and ammo etc.  It doesn't matter if I meet some tough guys earlier since I get the tools and experience to kill them sooner as well...

Regards,
    Zarin.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid, stupid monsters
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 15:39 »

The monsters wouldn't move for one of two reasons:

1. They were sitting on a lever.

2. They were sitting on some ammo/a gun.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 18:11 »

Well, sometime's the RNG is just in a good mood :). Try playing more games. Also, a AI complete rewrite is planned.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 19:50 »

The monsters wouldn't move for one of two reasons:

1. They were sitting on a lever.

2. They were sitting on some ammo/a gun.
Well, they were neither - it is Arena: no levers, and no, they weren't standing on any ammo/weapon.  Besides, I encounter this way too often everywhere - once discovered, it is very tempting to abuse it :).  Anyway, the promise of a complete AI rewrite sounds cool - even though I'm not sure how I would handle smarter hell knights.  Maybe after a few thousand games I'll be enlightened...

FWIW,
    Zarin.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 03:24 »

As a prominent exploiter of AI deficiency ( :P ), I assure you that what BDR said is correct, except that they'll allways *pick up* a weapon (regardless of what they're using), and ammo for the weapon they're using.

There's ammo in the Arena, as after dispatching the second wave 10mm ammo (and the CG, and AFAIR some shells) will spawn throughout the level.
Becuase it spawns this way, HKs and Barons are likely to spawn right near some, and yes, they will stand ground on it, unless you're in LOS before they do. Otherwise, they will ignore you 'till you're about twice as close as normally necessary.
Try doing this again, and check if your kills "drop" anything.

About HMP being easier than HNTR, that's only for the first few levels. UV effectively gives you a SG on your first kill, but it also gives you HKs by dlvl5 or so. But you can imagine that by dlvl16, it really doesn't matter when you got your shiny new CG when those 3 AVs pop into view, which they will do on almost every single level.

But, as you said, you're playing the Intuition path. For one thing, that's on the nerfing list, so you'd better learn to live without it, and second, [drill seargent]WHY DON'T YOU STOP BEING THE MAGGOT THAT YOU ARE AND START KILLING THINGS UP-FRONT LIKE A REAL MAN![/drill seargent] ;)

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 08:56 »

Hehe. I love it when a Hell Knight picks up a weak weapon like a shotgun or pistol and uses that instead of their regular rocket/fireball attack. I once had a HK pick up a knife and chase me around trying to stab me. :)
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:59 »

[bicker]When I play they alternate fire at best, why do everyone else get to be stabbed?![/bicker]

Well, if that works, I'll start carrying reserve knives around :P

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 15:45 »

Well, if that works, I'll start carrying reserve knives around :P

I'd do the same, but I'd rather use that space for more killing/healing stuff... most of my 'bait' is garnered from killing the weaker nearby enemies and waiting until the others camp out on top of the things dropped.  >_> Though the idea of blasting holes into the bad guys while walking backwards and taking no damage from it does appeal to me...

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 03:55 »

Normally I'd agree with you entirely, but right now, when I play I usually go for a SG-build win. That means I often can't afford the luxury of sniping at sitting ducks ;)

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 00:50 »

oh i know. (i know, i save scum :( ) i just hit morturary (in easyist), only 2 AV's, it said 4 on wiki! anyway, that was weak! but just before i got Spider's Lair. just in front of the entry was *duh*, an Inv Globe!!!!!!! i went in with double shotgun, moved diagonal to a warp, in case inv wore off, and just blast reload, as 8 Arachs fired on me at once, especially when i reloaded! NOPE, SORRY, THAT's POINTLESS, GUYS! they actually lined up to each side and above me, like in lines of 3 or 4!!! it was funny, cause that meant even more DS damage, then it got down to one left in line, ie BOTH BARRELS FULL IN THEIR FACES!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was still inv for ten moves after i had wiped them!

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 00:55 »

also in the morturary i found Advanced RL, BFG, PR, and CS!!!!! i already had rl though but, APR!!!!!!!!!!!! im getting SoB traits, so thats an additional 8 damage each level! now i need Shottyman, and an ADS!

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 04:45 »

[modvoice]Repo - please don't double post unless it's absolutly unnecessary and avoid overusing exclamatin marks.[/modvoice]
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 07:54 »

[modvoice]Repo - Please don't double post unless it's absolutely necessary and avoid overusing exclamation marks.[/modvoice]

Can't be very authoritative without the aid of a spelling checker, now can we? ;P

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 16:42 »

sorry im just a little new to forum posting, and i simply forgot to put it in

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 09:40 »

Note that in this forum you can always edit your own posts, no matter how much time has gone by.
Pages: [1]