Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 07:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: On Pain Elementals  (Read 4236 times)

Pigmonkey

• Private FC
    • View Profile
On Pain Elementals
« on: March 11, 2007, 17:50 »

In the non-Roguelike Dooms, Pain Elementals cannot be revived by Arch-Viles. But in Doom Roguelike, they can, and I recently experienced a cheap death because an Arch-Vile kept reviving a Pain Elemental, which kept spewing out Lost Souls until I couldn't move or dodge anywhere. Is there any way to nerf the Arch-Vile resurrection ability so that it doesn't effect Pain Elementals? I've only had a problem related to this enemy because it spawns other enemies.

Also, could we see a Spider Mastermind in the next expansion? I really like the implementation of the Arachs and their one weakness :)

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: On Pain Elementals
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 23:30 »

Personally I'd like to see Arch-Viles stop trying to revive bloodied mush after about 6 kills.

TSM is basically a boss in itself and because there is only room for the Cyberdemon at B20 of hell I think you will need to wait for DoomRL 1.0 which (from memory) will include graphic tilesets and a campaign mode leading to user mods that may involve the cyberdemon.

But back to the main topic..

I reckon that Arch-Viles should be changed to resurrect creatures for only a certain number of times on each difficulty level..

I.E on ITYTD the Arachnotron might only have one second chance whereas on Ultra Violence he can keep coming back for more no matter what.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 03:07 »

Personally I'd like to see Arch-Viles stop trying to revive bloodied mush after about 6 kills.
[...]
I reckon that Arch-Viles should be changed to resurrect creatures for only a certain number of times on each difficulty level..

I.E on ITYTD the Arachnotron might only have one second chance whereas on Ultra Violence he can keep coming back for more no matter what.
I don't think this is necessary. On ITYTD there shouldn't be more than a few AVs throughout the game. This, coupled with the fact that ITYTD also has a low monster count (meaning less corpses and much less potential danger), means that everything is pretty much fine as it is, IMO. The only thing to look out for is that there really ever are only a few AVs on ITYTD and a low monster count in general. Those freak cases where an ITYTD level looks just a little too HNTR (which gets worse on higher diff lvls) bother me alot more.

But Pain Elementals specifically - shouldn't they simply not leave a corpse...? I understand they originally spawned Lost Souls on death.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 03:55 »

Couldn't they spawn lost sould instead of a corpse after death? That's the way it worked in Doom 2 and after.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 07:03 »

About Pain Elementals - i agree that it's not good that they are leaving corpses. Spawning Lost Souls on death would be also nice.

About Arch-Viles - i think that they would become easier if they won't ressurect monsters they don't see, and if their ressurection range would be narrowed a bit.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Pigmonkey

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 13:38 »

The main reason I brought up the Mastermind was because I thought including it as a special boss in one of the randomly generated "Arach Cave" levels would be a nice way to implement an additional boss to the game.

As for limiting the Arch-Vile's resurrections to a certain amount of times; sounds good for lower difficulty levels, but it should stay as it is for higher ones.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 23:43 »

Well considering that TSM is on par with the Cyberdemon..if not moreso because of the super chaingun I think it would be unwise to put a boss around the 60% mark..

Perhaps a special level where you *have* to push a lever (be careful for what you wish for..you might just get it) and perhaps get a message saying "You have a really bad feeling about this" it might work..But we will have to wait and see

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:17 »

How about a special level accessed from Spider's Lair, making it a 2-level area? I'm not sure if it will be optional, or if all stairs will lead directly to the 2nd level (which should have a different name). This could be the home of some nice unique item. Considering the new weapon mods feature, how about a unique, considerably powerful CG-only mod taken off TSM?

If this is done, I suggest finding a way to implement a unique SG-only mod somewhere, for balance.

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 07:49 »

I would rather have a guaranteed Advanced Chaingun or Advanced Double Shotgun somewhere than some supermod. Most games I play through I only see 1 or 2 special weapons (other than the guaranteed RL and BFG) and they are usually not Advanced, just something like "Extended Pistol" or "Fastload Shotgun" which are pretty much useless. The only one I hope for as a non-advanced weapon is the Extended Chaingun. That one makes the trait where you can shoot extra bullets worthwhile (can't remember the name ATM).
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 18:09 »

I heartily agree; the other possibility could be to make it so that extended/fastload/rapid/etc. weapons are advanced by default and maybe make them slightly rarer, or perhaps to make it so that such weapons have a slot for 'advancing' the weapon taken up already (the type of 'advancement' depending on the way the weapon is special).  The second idea would work nicely with the limits intended for said 'advancement'.

:/ I hope that's not too vague; I just don't know how else to say this without spoiling things and getting my message deleted.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 18:11 by BDR »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 07:30 »

Ah. I had taken for granted that there should be drop frequency tweaks.
Pages: [1]