Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I think the devs should remove TotalBiscuit's name from the game  (Read 45634 times)

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: I think the devs should remove TotalBiscuit's name from the game
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 22:27 »

As for me I don't know WHO are the Total Bisquit. But it is a nice nickname and why not use such in game by random? Funny.
What happens with you, Trar? You start a new game as a "Total Bisquit" and lose? :D
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 00:46 »

Eww, it smells like feminazism in here.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 11:03 »

Are you fucking kidding.

If there's some way to put up a silent hotfix for the current version then that could be good just as a personal statement against him. It's probably not worth too much effort beyond that because the current version of DoomRL is already out there and will get maybe 1000 more downloads in its lifetime. But don't endorse him any more, yep, got it.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 12:13 »

Parasait, I don't know what your experience with feminism is that you would demean it by calling it "feminazism," but the feminist movement is still a much-needed force in society.  There's a lot of misinformation about feminism out there, but at its core, feminism is about getting men and women equal treatment by society.  Personally, I think that's a good thing.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 16:58 »

Parasait, I don't know what your experience with feminism is that you would demean it by calling it "feminazism," but the feminist movement is still a much-needed force in society.  There's a lot of misinformation about feminism out there, but at its core, feminism is about getting men and women equal treatment by society.  Personally, I think that's a good thing.
I don't think ParaSait is aiming to demean the feminist movement as a whole, I think by 'feminazism' he means only certain parts of said movement that he believes go "over the top" in their pursuit of "social justice". Not that I intend to speak for ParaSait, just what I gleaned from his post.
Use power for power.

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 20:50 »

I don't think ParaSait is aiming to demean the feminist movement as a whole, I think by 'feminazism' he means only certain parts of said movement that he believes go "over the top" in their pursuit of "social justice". Not that I intend to speak for ParaSait, just what I gleaned from his post.

I don't consider my request over the top or unreasonable. Seems like it would be pretty easy, matter of fact. I'd even wait for 0.9.9.8 to come out.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 22:50 »

It is a BAD thing try to change history. If some man make a gift or do something (good?) that memorized him any way IMHO we can't delete him from history even if hi later become a terrorist and kill dosens of citizens. No. Claim him any way but not change in the past. we are not in Orwell's "1984".
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 03:12 »

I'd even wait for 0.9.9.8 to come out.

Deal - we're done here.

Moderator, do your thing!
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 04:41 »

Personally, I don't think TBs name should be removed from the game at all. I think he's actually a good voice from the GG side of the fence. He's one of the few people who align themselves with gamergate without making it all confrontational, and in a public dispute these are always the people you should try to reason with. Making a social effort to delete his presence and acheivements in the gaming industry based solely on his gamergate affiliation will only serve to make the gamergaters feel that they are the targets of injustice and prejudice.

Also, months ago I did as you suggested here and tried to look into the 'roots' of some of the accusations about TB. It was during a discussion about his anti-transexual opinions, where I was finally directed to a video of him playing 'papers please'. In the video, he was confronted with a customer that looked like a guy in the picture, but had 'female' on their passport, and TB claimed that it could have been a transexual. There's no anti-trans message in what he said at all, he simply gave a light-hearted take on the fact that it's pretty hard to discern details from 8-bit inspired 2-colour graphics. I concluded at the time that it was people trying so hard to find fault that it felt borderline dishonest. I'm not very inclined to go all private-eye again to waste even more time on someone else's dispute, and I think to encourage people to do so encourages the unhealthy herd mentality that is the root cause of discimination, rascism, sexism and homophobia.

For the most part, people who affiliate themselves with gamergate *do* tend to be overprivileged guys. They tend to be people so unaffected by negative discrimination, they don't even have a real-world compass guideline of what discrimination is, and so they approach the argument with 'if A then why not B' type arguments that work fine in some theoretical utopia. Being, like most old school computer gamers, a little on the autistic side of normal, I can completely understand their confusion about positive discrimination or how female characters or industry personalities have to be treated differently to male personalities. There was a lot of nonsense in a community I was an active player in when a male pro-gamer said before a match that he was going to 'rape' a female pro-gamer, the same way he'd use the word against a male opponent, and was surprised at being evicted from the tournament for it. Personally, considering english isn't even close to a native language for him, I saw his punishment as an overreaction, but I saw the GG reaction to his punishment as laden with hate speech... This is how these things escalate, by each side of the argument being completely rash and binary about it's opinions. Each side being completely unwilling to accept even the possibility that there can be any good coming from the other side of the argument.

Malek - I totally admired what you posted, particularly:
at the end of the day both of these men are just human. And that means that they're prone to having faults, and no matter what they do they might have some stupid opinions too. But at the end of the day, what they do is worth more good than their occassional fuck-up does evil.
i think that sums the issue up quite well. I'd only add that I've always been the voice of temperance, and while I find the whole gamergate movement abhorrent, there exists within it a significant proportion of level-headed, logical, smart guys, that need only be educated on how treating people fairly is not treating them the same. Removing the most socially aware of them from your community, even trying to re-write history to exclude them, is only going to do damage to gaming journalism, cause further divides between the two sides of the debate, and justify the extreme views that circulate on the other side of the fence.

I think that, despite his GG affiliation, TB is a good guy, introduced a lot of people to doomrl, and doesn't deserve his name deleted from the history of this game over a completely unrelated drama on an unrelated gaming blog.

~Sylph

ps. Feminazism is flame-bait. Parasait, you should find a better word to use, as that one, despite being used with perhaps honest intentions, is pretty steeped in sexism these days, and should probably be avoided.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:51 by Sylph »
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 16:19 »

I have my opinions about feminism... now that being said, I don't mean to oil any fire. I just wanna say that I see modern feminism as a negative influence that seems to be slowly spreading itself into every aspect of culture, and I wanted to express a mild (if admittedly snarky) disappointment that some of it is even creeping into one of my favorite games of all time.
I'm sure Trar made this thread with the best intentions in the world. But in my view, the symbolism of it comes off as an attempt at contributing to the erasure of a person who expresses opinions counter to feminism. I think the things that that article accuses TB of are grossly exaggerated and I've been searching for some concrete sources, but I don't find anything in particular. Maybe I just fail to see all the horrible abuse going on through feminist glasses...
To me these practices (I mean in general, the whole thing with poisoning someone's reputation for their opinions) just seems kind of louche. Then again, it's just a random name, I don't use random names anyway, so whatever. I just feel mildly disappointed.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 16:22 by ParaSait »

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 18:08 »

I see your standpoint, I can even agree with a lot of it (although sexism in gaming culture *is* absolutely rife, and it can be a suddenly very hostile environment at a moment's notice). I just think you'd serve your standpoint a lot better, and sound a lot more educated on the matter, if you exchanged the word 'feminazism' for 'third wave radical feminism'. The former sounds like you want a snarky argument. The latter is both specific, and makes it sound like you not only know what you're talking about, but also recognise the difference between giving women the vote, giving women equal human rights, and splitting hairs over female representation in society. ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 18:10 by Sylph »
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 05:37 »

Well, honestly I don't respect third-wave feminism at all, so I ain't giving it more credit than I find is due. I just hoped a quick sarcastic one-liner wouldn't hurt more than it's actually worth, but apparently this topic is actually that touchy. Had I known, I wouldn't even have posted at all, since I don't care enough to argue over it.
So, as such, I will now withdraw from here and continue to mind my own business...

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 02:38 »

Parasait, you're welcome to participate in the discussion as much or as little as you like.  What I'm curious about is what bad thing you think feminism has done or is doing?
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 12:54 »

For the same reason you don't solve racism through affirmative action. You stamp out racism whenever you can and treat everyone as equals. Third wave feminism seems to bash all men based on negative actions of some men. The fact that sexual harassment is already illegal and frowned on doesn't seem to matter to them. The fact that it exists anywhere at all gives them moral high ground for special treatment in their eyes.

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 09:13 »

Please avoid hostility and witch hunts.

Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4