General > Play-By-Forum

Scavenging

<< < (2/5) > >>

Thiebs:
No problem. Glad to be of help.  :)

ujk:
Don't be afraid of "inspiration". You can get a lot of positive recognition for creatively and shamelessly plundering past works. Just consider Fallout, Far Cry Blood Dragon, Tron 2.0, DoomRL, movies like Drive and Avatar, Quentin Tarantino, George Lucas.

Maybe you'll turn your system into a videogame, call it Arcanum, and send it back in time to 2001 for Interplay to publish.

I myself have a soft spot for mostly realistic games with sci-fi elements.

I find hexagonal systems to be extremely promising. They might relieve some tactical considerations/calculations. For example, line of site and explosion radius can be simple hexagons, not some weird jagged circle on a grid. It might be a lot of work to figure out its implications. For the setting to fit, consider alien worlds and races. Think Starcraft and Prey regarding advanced organic technology. There are some hex-games out there you can research and try out, including a fork of Linley's Dungeon Crawl.

mihey1993:
Also you could consider viewing other systems with different from usual take on how abilities and characteristics work. Wasteland or shadowrun for example:3
Speaking frankly, there are plenty of things to draw inspiration from:3
EDITED:sorry, my english have broken in my brain XD

LuckyDee:

--- Quote from: ujk on April 27, 2015, 13:23 ---I myself have a soft spot for mostly realistic games with sci-fi elements.

I find hexagonal systems to be extremely promising. They might relieve some tactical considerations/calculations. For example, line of site and explosion radius can be simple hexagons, not some weird jagged circle on a grid. It might be a lot of work to figure out its implications. For the setting to fit, consider alien worlds and races. Think Starcraft and Prey regarding advanced organic technology. There are some hex-games out there you can research and try out, including a fork of Linley's Dungeon Crawl.

--- End quote ---

To clarify: although I appreciate your input on systems, I'm aiming for the leanest form of pen-and-paper RPG. No grids, models/miniatures, intricately structured combat sequences and so forth. If the players are lucky and in dire need of one, they can get a rough sketch of the geographical situation they're currently in. Everything else is just words, words, words.

I am very interested in what sort of sci-fi you like to read/watch/play, though.

--- Quote from: mihey1993 on April 27, 2015, 15:32 ---Also you could consider view systems with different take on the usual things. Wasteland or shadowrun for example:3
Speaking frankly, there are plenty of things to draw inspiration from:3

--- End quote ---

What exactly do you mean by 'view systems' please?

ujk:
Do you need a way to conduct combat though? Do you intend to have a simple system without positioning, like in Final Fantasy?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version