Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: AliensRL 7DRL PLUS released!  (Read 27025 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
AliensRL 7DRL PLUS released!
« on: March 19, 2007, 13:57 »

After playing the game (finaly had time for that :) ) I noticed several imbalances, and the need for two features (Danger Level and Look Mode with alien wound information), so I quickly prepared a 7DRL PLUS version. Also, there was no readme.txt with credit and future development information (which somehow dissapeared the last release :/). The new version can be downloaded from the game's website:

http://alien.chaosforge.org/

Also, the first reports showed me, that people had misunderstood a little on how the game's supposed to be played. You're NOT expected to explore every level. Focus on the mission objective, and only gather the neccessary items for it. In this version the complex get's more dangerous over time to support this idea.

Changes:
  • added increasing danger level and random spawn
  • look mode and look when firing (with wound status)
  • decreased M56 and M41A damage
  • decreased M56 and 44 ammo spawn rate (increased others)
  • turncount in mortem
  • default name added
  • you can no longer close a door on an alien
  • two typos fixed

Have fun and post your mortems :D
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

DaEezT

• Local Inquisitor
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: AliensRL 7DRL PLUS released!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 14:11 »

yay \o/
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 14:57 »

Neat!

What will we see in ARL++?

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 15:55 »

You're NOT expected to
explore every level. Focus on the mission objective, and only gather the
neccessary items for it.

Its kinda self-contradicting. You're not expected to explore, but you're expected to find items by means of - yes, exploring. And since the doors cant be closed anymore, the amount of items found before death will be much smaller...
Go to level 8 he says...i havent seen any elevators, and have no idea where they can be. I just wander aimlessly, to some radiation place, and whatnot, the purpose of the level layout is pretty unclear to me.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 16:14 »

And since the doors cant be closed anymore
They CAN be closed but not when an alien is standing on the door.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 17:43 »

Its kinda self-contradicting. You're not expected to explore, but you're expected to find items by means of - yes, exploring. And since the doors cant be closed anymore, the amount of items found before death will be much smaller...
Explore only so much as you need to find the neccessary items. Like, "If you're low on medkits, go to the Medical Tower" etc. Storage Tower is a good source of civilian ammo (9mm/.44/12g), Military Tower for military ammo and the only place where the power ammo is. There are many rules like that that you can notice.

Go to level 8 he says...i havent seen any elevators, and have no idea where they can be. I just wander aimlessly, to some radiation place, and whatnot, the purpose of the level layout is pretty unclear to me.
I don't know what's your problem, the game is pretty easy, at least 3 people finished it, myself included (and that is a surprise, cause I suck at roguelikes, even my own), so the difficulty level is not too high. Elevators look like this "="  -- it's in the manual ;]. And they are usualy among those rooms. But I have a hunch that you will not enjoy the game no matter how much I help you, so I'll stop here ;].
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 18:40 »

Bug of the day: Sound effects stop in mid swing whenever you pick up something.

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 00:24 »

I don't know what's your problem, the game is pretty easy, at least 3 people finished it, myself included (and that is a surprise, cause I suck at roguelikes, even my own), so the difficulty level is not too high.
The mere fact that the game is finishable doesnt make the game interesting. For me its just pointless roaming, nothing more.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 00:43 »

One thing that bothers me just a bit is that in the Civilian Tower I tend to find a LOT of pistols but the ammo is evenly divided between the three sidearms, making it difficult to really get started as a scout trying to build up a reserve of ammo by relying on his advanced sidearm skills to conserve shots.  Unless it's just a level 1 thing...  But then, what bugs me the most about all these pistols lying around is the lack of Unload!  I really, really miss this, especially since I can't seem to find enough bullets to build up a reserve. T_T

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 05:07 »

The mere fact that the game is finishable doesnt make the game interesting. For me its just pointless roaming, nothing more.
They didn't create ADOM in 7 days y'know.

But then, what bugs me the most about all these pistols lying around is the lack of Unload!
Don't worry, they're all empty :). Note that when you pickup a weapon you DON'T get ammo. And whe you drop a weapon, you get all ammo back to your pool.

I really, really miss this, especially since I can't seem to find enough bullets to build up a reserve. T_T
Try the storage tower for 9mm ammo. And use the MP5 less and the pistol more.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 06:36 »

I just played the game - congratulations, it has plenty of potential. I really like the way it's going.

My only real problem is that my second game, out of the 2 I've played so far, crashed very suddenly as I was racing up an explored room. This means I also raced through the error messages.
I kept a back-up of the post-crash game, in case there's any debug tool I'm unaware of.

Regarding the game itself, sidearms seem quite superior to the main weapon, at least as far as I've played. There's nearly no ammo waste and the Colt comes into play early, bringing most foes down very quickly. It's very annoying, however, having to trace down one of the first pistol (I forgot its name) once .44 runs out, knowing what a small object it is, real-life. Any chance of adding a "secondary sidearm" slot?

DaEezT

• Local Inquisitor
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 11:25 »

Any chance of adding a "secondary sidearm" slot?
Nope :D
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Schluberlubs

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 11:53 »

Having both the 9mm pistol and Colt .44 on you at the same time would be too useful and misbalance the game, i guess.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 11:56 by Schluberlubs »

DaEezT

• Local Inquisitor
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 12:02 »

And it would imbalance the sidearm skill.
There are only three sidearms in the game right now anyway.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 12:55 »

The MP5 is waay too weak to be considered as a proper weapon in my books. Can it be changed to be that little bit more accurate?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All