Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: AliensRL 7DRL PLUS released!  (Read 27056 times)

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: AliensRL 7DRL PLUS released!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 12:57 »

Give me a reason...to kill.

Besides surviving.
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 13:01 »

Give me a reason...to kill.

Besides surviving.
1. Get to level 8 of Main Tower
2. Kill Queen
3. Escape
4. Post mortem here xD
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 14:00 »

And it would imbalance the sidearm skill.
There are only three sidearms in the game right now anyway.
Point taken. I'll bring this up again if it becomes relevant in the future.

The MP5 is waay too weak to be considered as a proper weapon in my books. Can it be changed to be that little bit more accurate?
Agreed entirely. I think one thing to make it more useful could be to have it fire less bullets per skill level. Many shots are often wasted, and if you aren't properly trained with sidearms, swapping weapon can be lethal. Running out of bullets' also lethal. At the moment, my sidearm's my top gun, even after I find a better main weapon (CmbtSGs're sweeet B) ).

I may be judging too early, however, as I haven't gotten too far. The game keeps crashing (3 out of 4 games). I'm getting the feeling it's something with the turn count, as it seems to always happen around the same time, never provoked by an unusual action (once I was "running", once walking one-by-one, and once, AFAIR, mid-battle).

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 14:22 »

Please run it from the command line, or from a bat file with a "pause" command afterwards so we can find the line that causes the crash :/. I DID find something, but I'm unsure it should be the reason of a crash :/.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 20:15 »

:/ The problem is that I was breaking even while using my pistol with advanced skill, and that the regular pistol is not nearly enough if you unluckily run across a warrior/elite.  I'll try finding the Storage Tower on my next run, though.

One question: Is there any reliable means to knowing where exits to the other towers are, or is it required that I wander aimlessly around the edges looking for them while the enemy count goes up?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 20:17 »

The way towers are connected is always the same, so you can make a map. The elevators to the higher levels tough are generated randomly, so you need to keep note of them seperately.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 20:20 »

:) That's good.  I'll probably post it once I map it out so that other new players won't feel the same frustrations.

Addenum: :/ Well, at least the exits seem to be in the same places... The towers connected by these exits are not, however, in the same place!  ..making a map of anything but where exits are in towers useless...

The Storage Tower was a great suggestion; found a lot more 9mm ammo there than I had in the Civillian Tower.  I still found a lot of useless pistols on the first level of it, though.  I did find a pulse rifle in the first level of the Military Tower, but it was around the same place as the elevator IIRC.  Also, it seems as if I could potentially roam around the corridors (thereby getting minimal combat) and search for the stairs by looking at the map inside the unexplored buildings in a fairly more risk-free manner.  Another question: How exactly do I gain XP?  Is it by simply surviving longer, getting to higher levels, killing more enemies, or what?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 21:31 by BDR »

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 23:41 »

Not really a bug, but I would like to see a better way to handle dropped weapons.

The d button (d for drop) is VERY close to the f button (f for "fire at the alien that is eating my delicious flesh") at least on a QWERTY keyboard and more than once I have bumped into this rather unique YASD situation.

It would be fine if the game remembered that my M41-A still had 30 shots left in it..but no! When I pick it back up again it's empty and I get eaten.

I don't understand why the drop button was in, but at the moment I would really like to see a "safty catch" option for dropping.. I.E "Are you sure you want to drop your last chance of survival? [n/Y]"

Sorry if I've been ranting.. It's just something that has gotten to me.

DaEezT

• Local Inquisitor
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 00:22 »

Addenum: :/ Well, at least the exits seem to be in the same places... The towers connected by these exits are not, however, in the same place!  ..making a map of anything but where exits are in towers useless...
Hum, I never noticed any randomness in the tower placement.
I think it's something like this (doing this from memory, gotta confirm this later)

/µs
SMC
\Em

m = medical, M = Main,  µ= µlitary, s = storage, S = Security, E = Engineering
The map sometimes "rotates" when you enter a tower, e.g. when you enter the storage tower from the civilian, you do so by walking north, but you start at the east most entrance of the storage tower. But when you leave the civilian tower through the southern exit, you start at the northern entrance of the medical tower :p

Another question: How exactly do I gain XP?  Is it by simply surviving longer, getting to higher levels, killing more enemies, or what?
From killing enemies and exploring the towers. But I don't know how much exploring you need to do before you get the XP :/

The d button (d for drop) is VERY close to the f button (f for "fire at the alien that is eating my delicious flesh") at least on a QWERTY keyboard and more than once I have bumped into this rather unique YASD situation.
I did that once or twice too :D
I also used CTRL instead of SHIFT for accessing the character screen.
Luckily, there is the .ini that let's you remap those evil keys :p
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 07:01 »

Hey Kornel,

Had a quick go at AliensRL yesternight, love the theme. The game is shaping up nicely ;)

Just had some minor comments:
* 4,5,6 for SideArm, Principal and Heavy seem more intuitive to me, I play on a dark room and these are easier to find without browsing the keyboard and mistyping (I know keys can be remapped, but some people won't do it, so this suggestion is for the default mapping :P)
* Appearance: The right status window I think is eating too much space, specially the health and ammo bars. Also, is the drawn frame needed? (The | and - frame )
* Gotta love the inventory-less one weapon in your hand gameplay
* Is displaying the damage intended?
* Blueprints are nice, but the ':' character can be confusing... maybe just '#' like normal walls would do?
* How do I close doors? or is it intended for them to be open-only?

That would be it for now ;)
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 07:17 »

I'm not Kornel, but I'll respond anyway. :P

2. I disagree that the status window eats too much space, especially since there are a few towers where you really can't see much anyway and the blueprints don't add much outside possibly bearings (the green dots are a really nice touch).  However, I do agree that there could be less empty space in the status window.. an indication of when it'd be possible to upgrade skills (as XP gain seems largely based on turn count) would be really swell, as well as perhaps an indication of the threat level besides simply running into enemies.

4. No, I doubt that grenade damage still being displayed is intended.

5. I'd say #, only darker, would do nicely for this (it could be set at plain red for when it's being personally viewed rather than marked).

6. Press Space, then make a move towards the door.  Clunky, but it works.

Another request: I am *sorely* missing a map function.  We have the blueprints of the building, obviously, so why can't we read them all at once?  Or at least make it so that the building starts out non-mapped, and to have some terminals with the full map of the area scattered around for consistency....

torch

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 07:26 »

Are there any plans for a motion tracker of sorts? 

My initial design would be a turn on or off flag, double the move cost (character is looking at display as well as moving).  Sees through walls based on character's technical and / or perception skills. 

Then you could have the peep peep noise each time you take a step forward. 

On a different note, could the lifts be a bit lighter in colour please. 

Everything else is great fun.  I look forward to new releases! 
the monsters are looking forward to your make-believe visit

DaEezT

• Local Inquisitor
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 11:07 »

Are there any plans for a motion tracker of sorts? 
The motion tracker has been discussed during the planning stage but wasn't implemented yet.

Balancing it is where it gets tricky. Since AliensRL is turn based it would quickly turn into a huge advantage for the player. You could just let it pulse once and memorize the location of enemies.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 11:40 »

Here's a cut-out from the crash screen:
Code: [Select]
EDivByZero : Division by zero
  $00410CA5  TLEVEL__TICK,  line 112 of ablevel.pas
  $0042DE36  TAREA__TICK,  line 84 of abarea.pass: 10
  $00401DC1  TWORLD__TICK,  line 105 of abworld.pas
  $00401649  TGAME__RUN,  line 47 of abmain.pasks!
  $00401067  main,  line 8 of abrl.pas
The rest's the last frame from the game. I still have it if it's of any use.

Everybody should note there are only about 16 possible colours.

Regarding motion trackers-
I don't think it should double move cost. If it's one like in AVP, it doesn't seem to be hand-held, and attention is given to it for split seconds at a time, based on the audio ping. That said, I think it'd be a good idea to have three modes, on the lines of ignore/off, listen and study - ignore/off means the char isn't paying attention to the tracker, "listen" will pose only a small burden but will only give a very general warning (at most a general direction), and "study", which will only apply to appropriately designed trackers, will allow the char to carefully examine the tracker's output, noticing also vaguer signals. Perception will improve player reaction to the tracker, reducing penalties ("listen" should cost nothing at basic perception or so, IMO). Technical skill can enhance a tracker's capabilities through tinkering (or repair an otherwise useless one), but shouldn't give bonuses to on-the-run use (unless simple hardware malfunctions, like insufficient battery contact, are implemented, which could be nice :) ).
EDIT: as I was writing this, DaEezT's post came in, with a serious balance issue. So, how about this: directions only, using a system like one of the more elaborate ones discussed on the "hearing aid" thread for DoomRL? Signal types are based on size crossed with current speed/action type (workers are supposedly doing something when they're standing around).

And one last thing for the moment - could primary weapons be displayed as a '\' instead of as a '/'? I haven't seen a heavy weapon yet, but assuming they're also a '/', could that be changed, too? Maybe a 'X'?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 13:06 »

Okay, I fixed the bug, but don't know when to post the fix :>
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All