Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing on OS X  (Read 3637 times)

vux

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Playing on OS X
« on: August 31, 2015, 20:47 »

Hi,

I'm trying to play on a quite new Macbook Pro, with graphics. Game runs fine overall. I am having issues with the keybindings and was wondering what other people do with OSX in particular, and laptops in general.

The keyboard lacks pgup/down etc. And no 'virtual number pad' with a num-lock fn key either like some windows laptops. So it seems there is no diagonal movement keys at all with the default keybindings. And no obvious convenient place to re-map them that doesn't interfere with something else and actually makes sense. It looks like I'd need to pretty much come with a completely new keybinding map to make the game properly playable (maybe use the "IOP"+"KL:"+"<>?"; and then move everything that conflicts currently with that somewhere else.

I wondered if someone had already done one, or had some suggestions? OSX laptops aren't exactly rare, so I figured someone else has already run into this...

Thanks,

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Playing on OS X
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 21:23 »

My answer to this has always been "vi-keys".  Basically, hjkl for left, down, up and right, yu for NW and NE, bn for SW and SE.

Or you could get an external numpad to help you...
I computed, therefore I was.

Trasnemi

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 02:18 »

For this purpose, I use 'qaws' for diagonal movement, while still using arrows for normal movement. These keys does not interfere with anything in DoomRL and now I have fire, reload and swap keys pretty close in one place.

vux

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 21:33 »

Thanks... both sensible ideas. I used vi back in the 90s so there might be some muscle memory there to get used to it again. I'd have to move a couple keys -- u and l but that's not too bad. I like the qw/as idea too.
Pages: [1]