Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Either I suck or...  (Read 4004 times)

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Either I suck or...
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:26 »

I am trying to get past the first 6-7 levels of UV Angel of 100. My problem is that the enemies start ramping up a bit too quickly. It's not fun going down to Phobos 3 and starting off next to 2 hell knights with a third one next room (as happened to me at least twice). Finally make it to level 6 where the all-powerful Combat Shotgun starts spawning? Have fun searching for it while dealing with goddamn Barons of Hell when, at best, you have a double shotgun (which has such poor range it's not worth using) and a chaingun (which has a poor fire rate and takes 3 hours to reload). Yes, maybe it's my fault for trying for a Sharpshooter build, somewhat gimping my early-game, but even when I switched from:
SOG->SOG->SOG->EE->EE->EE->MSs to
EE->EE->Int->Int->EE->SOG->SOG->SOG->MSs,
I still can't reach the SOG's because I just die before I can do so. My only real chance is constantly restarting the first level basically "No vault? Shift-Q y". The vault both provides a chance at something that might give me a chance early-game and gives valuable experience. But even that's a crapshoot. I might get a combat shotgun, a large med-pack and blue armor, or I might get some rockets and shotgun shells. Again, maybe I just suck at the game (I have beaten AoMC UV YAAM Conqueror before (http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,5799.0.html), so at least on AoMC I am capable of doing well). It's just that on other angels I seem to struggle with UV. Perhaps I should try a different build, but...I dunno. I just felt like ranting about my experiences with UV Ao100 and how the enemies start ramping up WAY too quickly, in my opinion.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Either I suck or...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 09:04 »

Well, trying UV anything is pretty daunting on a pistol build, I'd say. You'd be better off with SOG than EE as a first choice, but you'll still have your work cut out for you. Maybe try SOB instead, so your chainguns will pack some more punch? Or even combine some shotgunnery with BRU?
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 10:39 »

Well, I personally love MSs too much to not advocate it. So I'll attempt to give some advice:

Stick with the first trait order. You want MSs to kick in as soon as possible. Int2 right afterwards is a very good choice though.
Take the first shotgun you find and carry some shells, precisely for those knights and barons situations. You may even slap the starting T-mod on the shotgun for quicker firing time.
If you're lucky to find the mods, assemble a high power pistol. The extra 2 average damage help a lot against armored targets.
Be very careful when exploring. Until MSs kicks in, the build is very unforgiving. Try to find a sweet spot where enemies may only come to you in a way that you get the first shot (or couple of shots) in. Cornershooting and doorways are your friend.
In the end, well, be ready to take some damage.

And once you manage to survive to floor 9 or 10, MSs should kick in and you're in for one hell of fun for the rest of the game. If you're lucky to find a combat pistol and P3B2-mod it, with SoG5 you are at 230 damage per second - enough to take down UV Cybie in a single clip.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 23:40 »

I think the first build order is better as well, but my personal favorite path to MSs is SoG->SoG->EE->SoG->EE->EE->MSs.
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0
Pages: [1]