Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 03:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Commissioning Art  (Read 9014 times)

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Commissioning Art
« on: December 28, 2015, 22:08 »

Would anyone here by chance know anything about commissioning professional art?

I am nearing completion of my roleplaying game, that I plan on running a Kickstarter for, and am in need of talented artists. Any ideas?
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Commissioning Art
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 22:26 »

Try Newgrounds. It's a platform for artists and programmers of all kinds. It focuses on mainly on games and video, but unless you want pencil-drawn stuff, I think you should be able to find some people.

Also, hit me up when you do register. And for pete's sakes TELL ME ABOUT YOUR GAME :)
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:35 »

Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out. I've got some other leads, too, so I think I can make it work. ;) As for telling you, well, I haven't been telling people much, 'cause I don't want them to get sick of waiting since it'll probably be several months before we launch. But on the other hand, I can't turn down that kind of enthusiasm!

Check this out, if you like: http://www.decktrek.net/about.html

It's a rough first start on the sight (part of why I need art!) but it gives you a little bit of an idea.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 13:58 »

Good stuff! There's not that much to read, but it sounds pretty appealing. Unfortunately, if you call your effort a role playing game and then try to explain it in these words, I shall see myself forced to look you straight in the eye and say: "Wait - what?"

Enticing as your text may be (it's like I'm reading the bottom of the box already, and I'm a sucker for bottoms), I entirely fail to see the connection with RPGs. I should point out, as I probably have before, that my approach to RPG borders on the snobbish, believing that these games aren't about dice and races and classes and skills and mega-über-quandriple-flawless-victory-combos, but about compelling characters and absorbing stories instead. And of that I see nothing.

Be a doll and tell us a little more. Will there be stories? What will they be about? Against what background will they be set? If you are bold enough to brandish the RPG stamp, surely you'll have thought about this... :)

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 14:06 »

But of course!  Actually, the lack of story-related content is no accident (though, as you point out, the particular execution could use work). My group has always been very big on story, interactive worlds, characters with legacies, culture, all that good stuff. But every time I see an RPG that has a strong emphasis on a particular exotic setting, I think, "man, that would be aweful in any other setting. You'd have to change so much. Guess I'm forced to stick with this one." Which, I think, is a big part of why D&D was able to get big. It's got a setting, but is loose enough to allow DM's to translate it into almost any setting, especially fantasy ones. That's what we're going for here. Not an RPG setting, but a whole new RPG system, regardless of setting. Hope that clarifies!

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 14:11 »

It does indeed. I personally don't think the difference between RPGs is that big in respect to the dependency of system on setting (or vice versa), but I agree that aiming for a blank template is a good goal. However, you're not telling me you plan on selling this thing without a single prefab background attached, are you?

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 15:02 »

No, not entirely. Just a simple, generic fantasy one that people can use as a starting point for their own. Enough that people new to roleplaying have a sense of what's going on. The game is primarily aimed at people with some prior roleplaying experience, so the majority of players shouldn't have any problem adapting it to there own ends. I'd be glad for suggestions on how to rephrase my page to convey that to the 'snobbish' folks. ;)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 00:46 »

Good question. Clearly the setting isn't one of your unique selling points. If you manage to successfully target the more experienced players, this shouldn't be too much of an issue - give them a couple of pointers and they'll be filling in the blanks soon enough. If you are taking aim at beginner players as well, there should be some indication as to what sets this setting apart from LotR/Warhammer/D&D/etc. I'm not saying it has to be something entirely different, but especially in the fantasy genre it's easy to be seen as "just another" game (I think, at least, that's how I see a lot of games anyhow). System can definitely contribute to stand apart as a game, and it looks like you've got that covered. Art is another one, and you're on top of that too.

As to setting, I think you have two choices.
1) In a pure fantasy setting, include a short bit on the powers-that-be, be they supernatural or temporal. They're probably at war with one another, so you could explain why this is the case.
2) Alternatively, you could take your generic fantasy and mix in a twist of something else to create a new setting. I offered some suggestions on this before, and undoubtedly you can come up with others.

Either way, you'll have something to show to prospective players. I can highly recommend adding bits of "flavor" to your game as well - excerpts from stories that could be played out with your game, to create the right mood. World of Darkness does this very excellently.

Hope this is useful. Personally, without this addition or something similar, I'd probably buy your game if I ran into it and the artwork was good. But I'd buy it expecting a card game, not an RPG.

(P.S. I sent you a couple of PMs as well over the past days. Due to my rejection anxiety, I'm forced to point this out to you as you have clearly not noticed them ;) )
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 00:51 by LuckyDee »

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 03:20 »

I'll be sure to check my messages.  Thought they were tied to my email, but I guess not! Oops!
Pages: [1]