Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Hunter's Moon RPG - Work in progress  (Read 21762 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Hunter's Moon RPG - Work in progress
« on: January 03, 2016, 12:53 »

Hey all,

Even thought my last post on the subject didn't get that much any attention, I'm still sure there are some fellow enthusiasts among you, giving me no reason not to get on your nerves with yet another thread on the same. As I explained earlier, I'm working on a new RPG and have been for some time now. This is something I've been trying on multiple occasions over the last decade or so, and usually with nothing to show for it. This time, however, I feel I'm on to something. Not only have I found a setting that I deeply wish to discover for myself, I'm also working on a lean system to support it.

Since I kept going around in circles for the past couple of months, I decided to try a new approach to development: in order to both catalog and expand my ideas as well as to practice my writing by intertwining them with parts of a story, I launched a blog on Wordpress to which to publish all of this. At the moment, it's pretty much just a vanity thing, although I hope to at least end up with something with which to entertain myself and others around me. Should it turn out to be a marketable idea, I'll gladly take that opportunity to take it out into the world. I'm not expecting anything, though.

In the meantime, some kind of sounding board would be nice to have. At some point, I'd like to do one or more PBF test runs right here on the forum. For those of you who are prone to that kinda thing, I'd be honored if you were to keep an eye on my efforts and give me some feedback every now and then. In a couple of months, I hope to welcome you beneath the Hunter's Moon.

Thanks.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Moon RPG - Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 14:44 »

You've got my attention. I'm liking the blog so far! Keep it up!
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 21:31 »

Is it this kind of Hunter's Moon?

If it is, then it will be freaking awesome~
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 11:31 »

You've got my attention. I'm liking the blog so far! Keep it up!

Just you watch me ;)

Hah, no. I hope to go for a more subtle kind of horror/suspense. Far out trailer, though.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01 »

Ooh! Majestic! A hunter is a hunter, even on an unrelated forum.

;P
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 13:25 »

Hi again,

It's time for a trial run by means of PBF. I've been brooding on some mechanics ideas over the past month, and I think the best way to explore them is by seeing this in action. I want to do a short and casual story, so a lack of solid availability shouldn't be too much of a problem. Any volunteers for players - Thiebs? Malek? Mr. Zicher, I'd be honored to have you on board on this one as well...

Gimme a shout if you're interested, whoever you are.

Cheers,

Dee

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 04:30 »

I'm happy to try it out, so long as availability and such isn't strict. Your blog has been dead for a month or more, I'm glad to see you weren't completely idle with it! ;)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 07:17 »

Your blog has been dead for a month or more, I'm glad to see you weren't completely idle with it! ;)

Hell no, but time is a rare commodity lately, plus I've been doing research into the background and mucking about with statistics. To be continued shortly, possibly as the PBF gets going.

Glad to have you on board.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:50 »

Guess I have to jump on your blog to see what I am to expect. But sure, count me in, I should be available for most of the time now.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 06:06 »

Eeexcellent.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 12:12 »

Stilll waiting for one more application (from outside...ish of the forum). In the meantime:

I've not created a very clear Character Building thingy yet. At first, I'm much more interested in characters than I am in stats anyway. Please give some thought as to what kind of character you'd like to play. We're talking a US citizen in the interbellum period of the previous century. Use film noir and/or detective stories as a guideline. A PI would naturally fit the bill, but so would a reporter, a policeman, a criminal from just about any walk of life, a scientist or scholar, a blue collar workman, a nighthawk... the only real restriction I have to impose is a more or less decently functioning moral compass, pointing towards the 'Good' end of the spectrum overall.

Also take into account that racism, sexism and all other kinds of bigotry and prejudice were very common back then. This may impact your character if you choose not to play a white male.

I'll probably be offline for a couple of days, feel free to spew forth some ideas in the meantime.

Jezalane

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 10:37 »

Dennis, just checking in.  for so me reason my hotmail account just isn't playing nicely with Chaosforge.  I created a new account based on a gmail account and I'm good to go.  I should of thought of it earlier.

Wm

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 14:39 »

Ah, good, that makes us complete. Has anyone had any ideas on characters yet?

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 16:59 »

Sorry about the slow response. I'm thinking wily street urchin, myself.

Jezalane

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 22:16 »

I'm thinking of someone who knows about some of the horrors that wait in the dark.  He's a WW1 vet who saw things one shouldn't and then spent years learning things that can't be unlearned.  If you have problems that draw you into the shadows, he's the sort of person you go to for help.  Think of him as the Miskatonic University Professor or the librarian in Arkham.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 23:23 »

Great, looking good so far. Mr. Zicher?

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 15:48 »

Well, Jezalane's concept is quite similar to what is going through my mind here - a good friend of mine is currently writing a novel about a man who has found a way into other dimensions. The author draws inspiration from HPL, but instead of Cthulhu Mythos, the inspiration comes from HPL's Dream Cycle (The Silver Key, or Dream-Quest to Unknown Kadath).

The protagonist, by the name of Logan Douglas, is also a veteran of the Great War, which is also where he learned about his ability to visit these other worlds, and after the war he teaches law at the Miskatonic University. As such, he is skilled with pistols and has a fairly deep knowledge of history and law. As he sold his share in a trading company, founded by his father, he can lead a comfortable life without caring too much for money. However, the knowledge of travelling to other dimensions is quite a bit of a secret - he can't just openly admit his travels. But he still catches interest of US secret services, and his meddling in affairs of other dimensions brings forth a number of adventures.

I don't know how the novel will end (and neither does the author), but I think Logan could be a suitable character.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 04:35 »

Thanks for your input. I see no problem two similar characters - you might even build up a shared background. Two distinctly different personalities would be more or less mandatory, though. Alternatively, you could have a duo of researchers where one does the fieldwork and the other the desk research. Feel free to concoct something.

I'll hand out some basic character building info this evening.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 12:31 »

Right, as promised:

I've been toying around with ideas for a mechanic for a while, and some playtesting is in order. The main goal: simplicity. I intend to use only six sided dice for the basic tests, and not too many at that. To each relevant test a Trait and a Skill are applied: you roll x(D6+y) where x is your Trait level and y your Skill level. Only one success is necessary, but a success means scoring a 5 or 6 (after modification) on a single die.

On the same lean vein, the number and levels of Traits and Skills are limited. Every character gets 4 Traits, being Ruthless, Cunning, Nimble and Slick. Each character starts out with a score of 1 on every trait, but at character creation you are all allowed to increase 2 Traits by +1 (a +2 on a single Trait instead is also negotiable, but would have to come with a good story behind it).

Additionally, you all start with 5 Skill points. I'm not going to give a list, simply because I don't have one. I have some ideas, but I'd rather see what you come up with unguided. Bear in mind that skills are intended to be broad areas of knowledge or practice. Max Skill level is set to 2 (for now), but again raising a Skill higher than 1 would require some explaining on your part. To ease up things a bit, please leave all combat-related Skills out of consideration. Should you really feel the urge to punch someone during the course of the game, we can probably come to an understanding.

So, for homework, I want to see:
- Name
- Short backstory
- Traits
- Skills

Any questions?

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 16:15 »

Any questions?
* ZicherCZ raises hand

OK, let me see. I'm not certain that I fully understand what I can find behind those four traits, Ruthless, Cunning, Nimble and Slick. I sense a parallel to Fallen London's Dangerous, Watchful, Shadowy and Persuasive, but still, care to give a bit of an explanation?
What I seem to understand - a trait of level 1 should be human average (or slightly above - we're heroes of a sort, right?), at level 2 it's quite above average and at level 3 it's exceptional to the point of being world-class. Right?

And about skills - just how broad should the area covered by each skill be? To give a comparison, let's imagine we have a list of skills from Fallout 1 or 2 to pick five from. Is a list of skills like that (minus combat skills, as you mentioned) appropriate in terms of breadth and depth?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 00:05 »

I deliberately left things a little vague. The Traits are indeed inspired by Fallen London. I specifically wanted something other than the standard STR-DEX-etc. I'll just let the titles speak for themselves, they should give you enough to go on.

For Skills, if you feel comfortable with the Fallout set, by all means. Like I said, I'd like you to have a go at these without any bias on my part. There probably are right and wrong choices, but for now, that doesn't matter. Besides, I believe all three of you capable enough not to make any outright stupid choices.

As for the scale in comparison to human ability, you're a step ahead of me here. I've crunched some numbers on the system I'm proposing, but this is the first time it'll actually be put into practice. There will be guidelines like you suggest in the future, but it's too early to say right now.

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 07:06 »

Tommy Jenkins
Tommy was an orphan: he never knew his parents, but was told his mum was a 'courtesan', and his pop a client. He grew up on the streets, never interested in staying in an orphanage. Tommy always figured he was too clever to get stuck in the system. He survived by being quick-fingered, silver-tongued, and ready for anything, or at least he liked to think he was. But people give kids some slack, and Tommy was starting to realize he wasn't really much of a kid anymore- if his count was right, he must be at least 15 years old by now. People were starting to take him seriously, and he wasn't sure he was ready for that.

Traits:
Ruthless 1
Cunning 1
Nimble 2
Slick 2

Skills:
Stealth 1
Sleight of Hand 1
Lying 1
Persuasion 1
Athletics 1

(I'm really not sure what the differences between the traits are. I was going for less mean-spirited, so ruthless seemed less important, but if that's more of a mechanical thing than a reflection of the character's personality, I suppose it could apply. Also unsure if cunning or slick was the way to go, but I'm sure it'll be fine anyway. Hope this is enough to get started, lemme know if I missed anything.)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 09:17 »

Looking good! Judging by your story, an increase in Nimble and Slick seem the best way to go. As for Skills, time will tell. Your choices are clear enough though.

Jezalane

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 07:38 »

Just for clarity's sake, can you define the traits.   I'd hate to create a character based on assumptions only to find out later that I had misunderstood.

Jezalane

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 16:00 »

ZicherCZ,  I sent you and LuckyDee a PM about doing a crossover between our character's backgrounds.  I checked for a copy to go into my inbox but that didn't happen so I want to make sure you received the message.  I'm not pushing but I've had a number of difficulties with this site so I just double checking.

Wm   

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 22:58 »

Message received. You two see what you can strike up.

As to the traits, all the clarity I can offer you would result in only a minimal improvement on your current situation. They aren't as fixed as in other games, although I think when to use which one will be apparent in any given case. Draw up your character, pick the two that sound best and I'll see how they compare with my interpretation of both. I don't think you can go wrong, though.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 01:06 »

Hey Jezalane,

I did receive your message and read it just now (I had no internet connection throughout this prolonged weekend). I'll come up with some meaningful response in the evening.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 06:35 »

I'll come up with some meaningful response in the evening.

Bad night for meaningfulness? ;) Curious as to what you come up with...

Thiebs, I take it young master Jenkins doesn't trust too many people. Can you come up with about three NPCs he does trust?
Pages: 1 2 [All]