Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 12:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [E|100%|YAAM|YAFW] Won't Lay Down Till the Battle's Done  (Read 2489 times)

Bonedaddy

• Lance Corporal
  • Devil Slayer
    • View Profile

So I've been fighting my way through DoomRL again.

I've had a number of YASDs over the course, including one Army of the Dead marine who didn't pack an envirosuit for Mt Erebus and got cooked alive trying to fight the Lost Souls, and one guy who got the Bomb and the Lava Element, only to rush into a room with a Tracking Map on the level just before Spidey and get smacked into an exploding lava barrel by a Baron of Hell. My best run thus far was an intuition/shotgun scout who got all the way to Carmack before meeting the same fate as my Survivalist. That battle was interesting because I pulled the BFG on his ass out of his line of sight, and he retaliated by throwing some Barons my way which I had to deal with. With four major endgames under my belt and a string of failures, taking Carmack down and grabbing the full win seemed to be out of my reach.

Until now.

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Marcel Hawke, level 10 Cacodemon Sergeant Marine,
 nuked the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
 He survived 139704 turns and scored 56870 points.
 He played for 2 hours, 19 minutes and 42 seconds.
 He was too young to die!

He killed 509 out of 509 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 7
  Levels visited   : 7
  Levels completed : 7

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Conqueror Badge
  Hell Champion Medal

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ..........................................................#
  ....................................................||....#
  ....................................................|.....#
  ............................................%.....X.......#
  ............................................%.............#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 126/90   Experience 49993/10
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Marine

Ironman          (Level 3)
    Tough as nails   (Level 2)
    Reloader         (Level 2)
    Badass           (Level 1)
    Shottyman        (Level 1)
    Survivalist      (Level 1)

Bad->Iro->Iro->TaN->TaN->Iro->MSv->Rel->Rel->SM->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   nothing
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   BFG 9000 (11d6) [50/100] (P1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   phaseshift boots [4/4] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   gatling gun (1d7)x6 [0/60]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] tactical shotgun (8d3) [4/5]
    [b] missile launcher (6d6) [1/4] (F1)
    [c] red armor [4/4] (100%)
    [d] Lava Armor [4/4] (52%)
    [e] 10mm ammo (x118)
    [f] 10mm ammo (x140)
    [g] 10mm ammo (x140)
    [h] shotgun shell (x70)
    [i] shotgun shell (x70)
    [j] shotgun shell (x70)
    [k] shotgun shell (x69)
    [l] shotgun shell (x70)
    [m] rocket (x8)
    [n] small med-pack
    [o] large med-pack
    [p] large med-pack
    [q] lava element
    [r] tactical boots [0/0] (100%)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

None

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

98 former humans
    64 former sergeants
    8 former captains
    66 imps
    69 demons
    102 lost souls
    24 cacodemons
    29 hell knights
    13 barons of hell
    7 arachnotrons
    4 former commandos
    2 pain elementals
    12 revenants
    2 mancubi
    2 arch-viles
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 lava elemental
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind
    1 John Carmack
    1 Arena Master

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  He defeated the Hell Arena Master!
  On level 5 he found the Arena Master's Staff!
  On level 7 he sneaked into the Phobos Lab.
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical shotgun!
  He broke through the lab.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 11 he arrived at the Containment Area.
  He emerged from the Containment Area victorious!
  On level 12 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 14 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 14 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 17 he assembled a gatling gun!
  On level 22 he arrived at Mt. Erebus.
  On level 22 he found the Lava Armor!
  He managed to raise Mt. Erebus completely!
  Level 23 was a hard nut to crack!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  He nuked level 24!
  He defeated the Mastermind and found the TRUE EVIL!
  Then finally in Hell itself, he killed the final EVIL.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

hit! Your red armor is completely destroyed! John Carmack reloads his rocket
 launcher.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : John Carmack (severely wounded) | pool of blood | [ m ]ore
 The missile hits John Carmack.
 Unknown command. Press "?" for help.
 You use a large med-pack. You feel fully healed. Carmack raises his hands and
 summons hellspawn! You are hit! You are hit!
 You don't have enough ammo to fire the BFG 9000!
 You reload the BFG 9000.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : John Carmack (almost dead) | pool of blood | [ m ]ore
 The missile hits the revenant. The revenant dies. The revenant dies. You hear
 the scream of a freed soul! The revenant dies. John Carmack dies.
 Congratulations! You defeated John Carmack! Press <Enter>...
 You feel relatively safe now.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

89 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 79 of those were killed.
 And 5 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

5 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 2 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 2 killed the bitch and survived.
 1 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

It began much like any other run. I determined that this run would be a Marine run, and I was debating with myself whether to go for Bullet Dance (which benefits from Son of a Gun and Son of a Bitch unlike other pistol builds), Army of the Dead (which ignores armor for your shotgunnery), Ammochain (the only Marine Master to work with HR and DM, and synergizes quite well with shotguns because of Son of a Bitch and Reloader), or Survivalist (which basically makes you a tank and makes your health packs work like Health Globes and Soul Spheres). My first time getting to Carmack was on a Survivalist build, and the main reason I died was because I didn't know how to handle the summons the bastard threw my way.

The shotgun was my workhorse weapon for much of the early game, with the chaingun from Hell's Arena seeing use for much of the early action as well through Episode 1. I managed to snag myself an envirosuit and a Combat Shotgun before coming to Phobos Lab, and it got put to use in the nukage section of the level. These days, I know to head to one corner of the area after downing the two big potions on either side and hitting the switch, which makes the trap with the Demons and the Shotgun Guys a lot more manageable to deal with. I assembled the Tactical Shotgun using the mods I found both in the Chained Court and in the Lab. Corner-shooting really is your best friend against the Bruiser Brothers with this thing -- all you really have to do is book it to the lower corner of the entryway and blast off until they die. I managed to kill them both with absolutely no damage to health or armor doing this, which was very damned nice.

Episode 2 saw me fighting Hellknights and the odd Baron of Hell in addition to the Imps, Demons and skulls. The thermonuclear bomb got added to my collection early on, and I did my best to hold on to it, since I knew that it would be vitally important. The Containment Area was a bastard of a battle which saw me snagging the Backpack and using the Missile Launcher against the first big scrum of Hellknights before doing corner-shooting with the tac shotgun against the rest of them. The City of Skulls was entered using a Berserk Pack, and it didn't take too long to clear out the initial scrum of Lost Souls before moving in and gunning down the rest.  The Halls of Carnage cost me a YAAM on my first major victory run, but unlike the other major run, I did not Jackhammer my way through it, and so I had plenty of time to murder every demon and zombie in my way and get to the BFG. I also waited a while for the lava to come and kill anything I missed before I moved on to the next area. I first pulled out the BFG against the Cyberdemon, but then switched to the Tactical Shotgun when he got close enough for melee. If I had found a Double Shotgun, I most likely would have used the puppy, but considering that I did not have Shottyman yet, it was basically a tanking fight, with me putting blast after blast into him, and then getting blasted in return as I reloaded the shotgun. By the time the bastard went down, most of my health packs were gone and so was pretty much all of my armor.

I went armorless for much of the first segment of Hell, and cornershooting was very much a necessity for survival, as well as scavenging whatever health I could find and making use of some green armor which didn't last very long. I also took to using rockets to open up areas that I would otherwise have had to slog through lava in order to reach. The area which saw me getting into decent armor again had a very tricky segment with an archvile, a lava barrel, and a red armor right next to it. I used my missile launcher, which I had gotten a Firestorm mod for on an earlier Hell level, on a Baron of Hell, then came back to find that some pissant zombie had gotten his hands on the armor, which pissed me off. After killing him, I grabbed up the armor, which thankfully didn't suffer too much damage, and put down the Vile before moving on. Some nasty encounters with a few Mancubi, spiders and Barons over the course of the next levels served to whittle the armor down bit by bit before my trip to Mt. Erebus.

Erebus is essentially the bigger, badder brother of the Lava Pits. I made sure to get an envirosuit ready before tackling the level, as I did not want a repeat of the YASD I suffered on that other big run through it. I blasted my way through the Lost Souls and Shotgun Guys before fighting the Hellknights. The Hellknights tore through my good armor before I put them down, and when the last ones appeared, I elected to use my missile launcher on them, which destroyed most of the stuff in the center with the exception of the Lava Armor. When the Lava Elemental appeared, out came the BFG for the smackdown. After putting on another envirosuit and grabbing the Lava Element, I got the hell out of there. The final level before Dis was one which saw me getting some very nice Red Armor, but where the walls were not destructible even with my missile launcher, and saw me fighting Imps, zombies, some Mancubi, a Baron of Hell that kept destroying my cover, and an Arachnotron that I killed with the missile launcher. Once everything was dead, I made sure to get rid of everything I didn't need, including the Arena Master's Staff, which didn't see use at all; a Homing Phase Device; and my Plasma Gun, which I unloaded for much needed cell power for the BFG before grabbing the Invincibility Sphere, marching into Dis and nuking the hell out of Spidey. And with that, after making a final inventory, it was on to the final showdown.

I kicked off the battle against Carmack by breaking out the missile launcher, which did a respectable amount of damage to him and his summons. But when the Lost Souls got too close, I whipped out the tac shotgun and blasted them to hell. Carmack started appearing next to me for some more shotgun action, but when the Cacos and then the Hellknights started appearing, I decided "screw this" and broke out the BFG, ignoring the Hellknights in favor of giving Carmack what for, relying on my health packs to keep myself alive and in health. My red armor was all but gone by the time Carmack began summoning Revenants, and after reloading the BFG, I let loose with one final blast which put him down for good. And just like that, it was over.

This run is not only my very first YAFW and my second YAAM run, but it's also the first time I've gotten the Conqueror Badge, which is gotten by clearing every special level on a given run.

Beating Carmack for the first time is definitely something I will remember for a while. I hope to get good enough to tackle the harder difficulties so I can start unlocking some more stuff such as the Angel of 100 and start playing around with some of the other big items of the game, such as Azrael's Scythe, the Dragon Slayer, and the more advanced assemblies.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: [E|100%|YAAM|YAFW] Won't Lay Down Till the Battle's Done
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 15:19 »

Welcome back! See you haven't lost your taste for extensive reports yet :)

Time for something on a higher difficulty?
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 17:28 »

Very nice win!  :)  Congrats on your Conqueror badge!  And a full win to boot!  Awesome!  :D

I'm surprised you haven't unlocked Ao100!  Sounds like you need to take on some of those challenge modes to earn some more badges.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 00:51 »

I'm surprised you haven't unlocked Ao100!  Sounds like you need to take on some of those challenge modes to earn some more badges.
Well, Ao100 unlocks at Sergeant Major rank, and that requires 12 Bronze badges. It can be done without any challenges (there's 11 Bronze badges that come from challenges, out of 26), but it requires at least a full win, a melee-weapon-only win, clearing most of the special levels, and/or a little grinding for exotics/uniques and medals.

Oh, and welcome back, Bonedaddy!
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working
Pages: [1]