Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 02:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: AliensRL 7DRL PLUS PLUS released!  (Read 4946 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
AliensRL 7DRL PLUS PLUS released!
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:01 »

A critical crash bug has been found that made finishing the game impossible. A couple other fixes and tweaks have been added, it is highly recommended you download this new version.

http://alien.chaosforge.org/

Also this is probably the last of the ++ versions. Further versions might appear as normal versions, but that depends on your support :)

DAY 7++ Changes:
  • added medkit sound
  • technical skill affects reload
  • minor UI presentation fixes
  • increased MP5 mag to 30
  • fixed crash bug
  • fixed random spawning
  • fixed radiation
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

DaEezT

• Local Inquisitor
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: AliensRL 7DRL PLUS PLUS released!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:07 »

Yay, finally I can play without having my marines divided by zero \o/
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:13 »

I'm happy too!)) So many my games was lost because this crash bug.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 13:19 »

Never got the bug in the single plus release, but I'm happy to see this new and shiny tactical shooter/exploration game being polished more.  :)  Also, I've sent in some support (though I had to give some love to DoomRL too... 4th beta at least? Please?) for this game.  Hope to see more work on this in the future. :D

EDIT: :O I found something very, very disheartening... In the single plus edition, you could throw grenades into the darkness in places like the Storage Tower and do damage to enemies as long as they were in the blast range.  Now it looks like if the grenade blows up outside your sight range it won't do any damage to any enemies even if they're in sight and within the blast range.  This makes it impossible for me to use frag grenades as preemptive strikes against possible cannon fodder when I run across more grenades than I can carry in places where I can easily be jumped by unknown foes, and also makes it nearly impossible for me to throw grenades so that the enemy gets hurt and not ME when my vision is cut short.  If this is a feature, I'd really, really like it if Perception could give you extra levels of vision in the dark places, or at least make it so I know when my grenades won't be effective anymore (if Fitness is intended to be the primary determinant of where you can throw the grenade so it hurts like it should).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 13:40 by BDR »

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 13:43 »

Aaa, panic! Frag grenades isn't working now!

Also you don't die when you have 0 hp. You die only when you have -1 or less.

Edit: Now i have seen message when alien comes from airduct, so it's all ok with spawning enemies.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 16:47 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 13:51 »

Grenades DO work, they just don't work the way they used to.

I tried throwing a few in the Storage Tower; if it blows at or closer than 1 square out of your vision in the Storage Tower, the grenade will do damage.  Otherwise it will do absolutely no damage even if you weren't aiming farther than that, which is ridiculous.  Again, if this is a feature I suggest that there be some way you can know the limit on throwing ability; I think what would be best would be a limit on where you can move your cursor while aiming the grenade and a note popping up when you try to move past it saying "You can't throw that far!"  Then, if the grenade does go farther than it normally would, it won't matter that it blows up as normal because it only happened due to player inaccuracy (which could just as easily make it undershoot the target, so no real bonus in the long run).

What would be a good improvement, though, would be to make it so that you can at least throw a *little* farther (2 or 3 tiles shouldn't break things), so that you're not practically committing suicide every time you want to throw a grenade.

EDIT: A hunter spawning in LOS, eh?  Must be Kornel's attempt to get the whole 'aliens coming in through the air ducts' idea going, only right now it doesn't make sure to check the random location where the alien spawns isn't in your LOS.  I had something similar happen, but instead of it popping up in my LOS it popped up in a room where I'd been before and shut the doors.  This does give me an idea, though...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 14:41 by BDR »

xwdishere

• Private FC
  • Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 16:14 »

Glad to see you liked the medkit sound effect I found.
The small changes to the game make it even better; all I need to do now is figure out how to beat it. :P Probably has something to do with using more grenades.

zaimoni

• Greater Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 00:51 »

Splash damage for frag grenades no longer works reliably at untrained Fitness (in ++, it did in both 7DRL and +): there needs to be an alien targeted.  Basic lifts this restriction (at least partially).

The range increase from Perception does appear to be working.
Pages: [1]