Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 13:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pre-generated games & GotM  (Read 13770 times)

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-generated games & GotM
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 06:23 »

A big Yay! from me! This would allow many different fun challenges, like completing the said game in as few turns as possible and would also spawn some great tactic discussion for different situations.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 07:55 »

Hey, I missed this one completely! This looks great! That's a 'Yay!' from me, too :)

Since a form of save-scumming'll be an integral part of the game, how about disabling the normal saves during this type of play? IMO it'll help balance out exploitability, making for higher believability once everybody starts comparing replays, which I'd love to see happen.

Other than that, I agree with BDR. Game of the Week makes more sense with such short games. Why wait an entire month for something that'll be rather thoroughly explored in a few days at most.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 00:57 »

Since a form of save-scumming'll be an integral part of the game [..]
Huh?
I think you missed the point a bit there. GotM's are supposed to be played just like a normal game.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 14:12 »

Although I don't mind that at all, I thought replaying it, at least to a certain degree, was part of the plan. And if it isn't part of the plan, I suspect it'll become the common mentality among at least part of the posting players, unlike with usual save scumming, considering you start by DLing it, and then apply it the same way you would have a scummed game. People might feel cheated once they go through the effort (be it a minor one) of DLing the GotW/M and lose fast due to usual misfortune, but unlike with normal games, the idea of reinserting the save's sitting there from the moment you do it to start the game in the first time. Disallowing saves code-wise and "accepting" retries'll help balance this out effectively, and make it a slightly different RL gaming experience, IMO.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 23:45 »

Although I don't mind that at all, I thought replaying it, at least to a certain degree, was part of the plan. And if it isn't part of the plan, I suspect it'll become the common mentality among at least part of the posting players, unlike with usual save scumming, considering you start by DLing it, and then apply it the same way you would have a scummed game. People might feel cheated once they go through the effort (be it a minor one) of DLing the GotW/M and lose fast due to usual misfortune, but unlike with normal games, the idea of reinserting the save's sitting there from the moment you do it to start the game in the first time. Disallowing saves code-wise and "accepting" retries'll help balance this out effectively, and make it a slightly different RL gaming experience, IMO.

Maybe GotMs aren't such a good idea after all.
And here I thought people play for fun, but all I see is scumming this, cheating that, bla bla bla.

Well, it was worth a try.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 05:16 »

Although I don't mind that at all [...]
Is my personal feeling on the original idea once you explained it, so I'm not sure why you took my post so badly. Besides, you haven't even tried yet, and all I said is that I "*suspect* it'll become the common mentality [etc.]" - you can't seriously be taking my suspicion as the final say here Oo
Other than that, it doesn't seem people here are quite threatening to cheat. Some people may have pointed out the downsides of a RL GotM, which is legitimate as it has many rather unique sides to it, but they also all agreed it's a great idea non the less.

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 10:22 »

I agree that trying to make it a one-shot deal would not work very well, but allowing people to try it as many times as they like and see how well they can do would be a good idea. Making two categories (1st game and best game) would work well for this, and if we make it a once a week deal then letting people retry won't be that big of a problem.
Pages: 1 [2]  All