Jupiter Hell > General Discussion

Game Engine

(1/3) > >>

hawk66:
This project looks really cool and will be a milestone in the roguelike genre for sure.

My understanding is that you develop your own game engine. Would be interesting to know if you have considered using engines like Unity3D and why you have not chosen one of them as a basis ?

Thanks.

Kornel Kisielewicz:
I kinda expect this to be the most frequently asked question as we come nearer and into the Kickstarter, so I'll try to do a detailed write-up as we come near.

However, here's the short version:

* Unity sucks in the performance department, if we'd use an existing engine it'd be Unreal or Stingray anyway.
* most engines suck if you're doing dynamical worlds (randomly generated) -- 90% of their power is precalculating stuff, and if you do random environments, you cannot precalculate anything
* I like cool dynamic lighting effects, which on a dynamically constructed environment are just too much for Unity to handle
* while Jupiter Hell could probably get away with Unreal, each next game that I want to make will be more and more procedural, so the overhead will be bigger and bigger. At some point it will be too much to continue (you couldn't do a game like No Mans Sky or Elite Dangerous in any existing engine), and at that point we could either give up or spend 5 years doing an engine from scratch. Nova (the JH engine) is written with zero precalc rule. Everything is dynamic.
However, this is a much simplified list, there are many more small reasons, and the larger reasons would probably need more elaboration. Feel free to ask further questions, or wait for the big article :P.

hawk66:
Ok, all right...looking forward to your article and the kickstarter campaign :)

spacedust:

--- Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz on March 31, 2016, 04:16 ---I kinda expect this to be the most frequently asked question as we come nearer and into the Kickstarter, so I'll try to do a detailed write-up as we come near.

However, here's the short version:

* Unity sucks in the performance department, if we'd use an existing engine it'd be Unreal or Stingray anyway.
* most engines suck if you're doing dynamical worlds (randomly generated) -- 90% of their power is precalculating stuff, and if you do random environments, you cannot precalculate anything
* I like cool dynamic lighting effects, which on a dynamically constructed environment are just too much for Unity to handle
* while Jupiter Hell could probably get away with Unreal, each next game that I want to make will be more and more procedural, so the overhead will be bigger and bigger. At some point it will be too much to continue (you couldn't do a game like No Mans Sky or Elite Dangerous in any existing engine), and at that point we could either give up or spend 5 years doing an engine from scratch. Nova (the JH engine) is written with zero precalc rule. Everything is dynamic.
However, this is a much simplified list, there are many more small reasons, and the larger reasons would probably need more elaboration. Feel free to ask further questions, or wait for the big article :P.

--- End quote ---

Very interesting Kornel, looking forward to hearing more details soon.

Iceghost17:
Hello, this is my first time on here, may I ask if you ever plan on making the game engine available to other game developers?

Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version