DoomRL > Requests For Features

Can autosave be added in future versions?

(1/2) > >>

BaronVonMurderkill:
Because it is very annoying when you have a really good run and then your power suddenly goes off.

Tormuse:
This request has come up a few times.  (I myself brought it up once or twice)  I agree that it's very annoying, but the answer came back that no, they're not going to add that feature.  I think it's mostly because of concerns that people will use it to cheat.  (ie deliberately turn the game off if it isn't going well, so you can go back to the autosave)

BaronVonMurderkill:

--- Quote from: Tormuse on August 01, 2016, 21:50 ---This request has come up a few times.  (I myself brought it up once or twice)  I agree that it's very annoying, but the answer came back that no, they're not going to add that feature.  I think it's mostly because of concerns that people will use it to cheat.  (ie deliberately turn the game off if it isn't going well, so you can go back to the autosave)

--- End quote ---

Sorry, but that does not make much sense. First, it's already easy to backup save file. So, genuine players will benefit from it much more than cheaters. Second, there are some possible measures: autosave can be made separate from normal save, so it will have unusually high number of saves, also it can be marked, so mortem will be generated with the line that game is restored from autosave. Third, if you care that much about people bragging about things they did not(Seriously, what kind of person would do that? I doubt that there are many such people here), then just remember that mortems are plain .txt files.

thelaptop:

--- Quote from: BaronVonMurderkill on August 01, 2016, 12:38 ---Because it is very annoying when you have a really good run and then your power suddenly goes off.

--- End quote ---

If power stability is an issue, there are definitely bigger problems at play that the dev-team cannot help solve...

BaronVonMurderkill:

--- Quote from: thelaptop on August 02, 2016, 21:07 ---If power stability is an issue, there are definitely bigger problems at play that the dev-team cannot help solve...

--- End quote ---

Well, sometimes even if it's usually not an issue, it comes suddenly and unexpectedly. Also, I don't understand why somebody shouldn't fix the problem they can solve just because there are problems they can't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version