Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 03:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [M|AoRA|YAAM/YAFW?] Bugs galore! (Armorer Diamond?)  (Read 3662 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
[M|AoRA|YAAM/YAFW?] Bugs galore! (Armorer Diamond?)
« on: August 01, 2016, 21:25 »

This was weird.  I'm not sure how to feel about this one...  I guess I should start explaining from the beginning.  (A very good place to start!)  :)

I was bored and decided to try to get one of the silver badges I haven't gotten yet and decided to get Skull Silver, for clearing City of Skulls in Angel of Red Alert.  I was playing HNTR because I wasn't in the mood for anything taxing, but still wanted to get YAAM Conqueror, because that's how I roll.  :)  Everything was going smoothly and I decided to take a break just before Containment Area, so I saved it...  but then, when I reloaded the saved game, it crashed with a message saying that it would "try to save my game."  Then, when I tried loading the game again, it was the level before Containment Area again!  I soon discovered that every time I saved the game before Containment Area, it would crash, and then let me replay the previous level, but without losing my gear or experience!  At first, I was just doing it for experimental purposes to see if it did it every time so I could include it in a report to the Devteam, but I got a little carried away and found myself getting tons of experience from all my replays, enough to get Gunrunner trait and Berserker trait on top of that.  (I planned to get Berserker anyway, so I could deal with Unholy Cathedral)  Eventually, I moved on, but I continued saving it on every level to see if I could recreate the bug again and I did on the levels before the Spider's Lair and Unholy Cathedral.  I don't know what's special about those three levels that it did the crash thing on those ones and none of the others.  (Maybe it has some connection with AoRA?)

So, I was happily playing along with my Gunrunner build, blasting everything away with my Tactical Shotgun, and the game took a sudden turn when I found Dragonslayer!  :o  This was particularly exciting because it would be my third Dragonslayer, thus earning me the Armorer Diamond badge!  :D  I very nearly screwed up my chance to pick it up due to my own stupidity and had to resort to some cleverness to find another way.  (I really wish I could say what it was, but it would be spoilery and Kornel wouldn't like it)  ;)  So, my Gunrunner build and all my fancy equipment I had accumulated was all for nothing, but I still went for the full win.  :)

After defeating JC, I was dismayed to discover that the mortem didn't display the Skull Silver or Armorer Diamond badges I was expecting.  :(

Spoiler: See for yourself. (click to show/hide)

At first, I thought that all the crashing had some effect on badge earning, but then I looked at my badges and realized that I did have them, even though it didn't credit me for them in the mortem.  :o  I was very confused, especially when I looked at my achievements screen for items and noticed that I had credit for four Dragonslayers!  :|  I started to wonder, "Did I get Armorer Diamond before and just not realize it?"  So, I did a search in my mortems for the word "Dragonslayer" and discovered...  THE ABOVE GAME GENERATED TWO MORTEMS!  :o  :?  D:

The above one is the one that was displayed on the screen at the end of the game.  The other one came just before it and it looks like it left off right after I killed the Spider Mastermind.

As far as I can tell, it did this because I saved it on the stairs going down after the Mastermind.  I did some more digging through my mortems and found that it's done this before, but I didn't realize it.  Saving after the Mastermind and then moving on to get a full win makes the game count it as winning two separate games and gives you double credit for everything you did in the game.

So, there it is, I got a Diamond badge that I once thought I would never get...  I think?  Does this count?  :|  With all the buggy craziness going on, can I honourably claim that I earned this badge?  I mean...  it's a badge that's pretty much based on luck anyway; that third Dragonslayer could have generated in any game.  I dunno...  This whole game turned out really weird.  :|
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: [M|AoRA|YAAM/YAFW?] Bugs galore! (Armorer Diamond?)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:49 »

I was bored and decided to try to get one of the silver badges I haven't gotten yet and decided to get Skull Silver, for clearing City of Skulls in Angel of Red Alert.  I was playing HNTR because I wasn't in the mood for anything taxing

Sometimes, just sometimes, you make me want to cry.

So, I was happily playing along with my Gunrunner build, blasting everything away with my Tactical Shotgun, and the game took a sudden turn when I found Dragonslayer!  :o  This was particularly exciting because it would be my third Dragonslayer, thus earning me the Armorer Diamond badge!  :D

And here come the waterworks :*(

Good show, dude.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 14:04 »

Er...  Tears of joy, I hope?  :)  Tears of pride at my accomplishment?  Tears of despair that I considered this not too taxing?  I don't get it.  :P
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 01:30 »

Thanks, Spongebob, I knew you wouldn't.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 06:47 »

Tears of jealousy, d00d. This is the sort of thing that got you in my signature years ago.

I suppose for bug test purposes we should have multiple people go through and save on every level in various circumstances. If nothing else this is a usable excuse for me to start save scumming again.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 15:09 »

Thanks, Spongebob, I knew you wouldn't.

Now I don't get the Spongebob reference.  :P

I suppose for bug test purposes we should have multiple people go through and save on every level in various circumstances. If nothing else this is a usable excuse for me to start save scumming again.

I think I'd like to try a dual-angel AoRA+AoD to see if I can get a level 25 character in a regular game.  :D

EDIT:  This is turning out to be more challenging than I expected, though I should have known, since you have to juggle the importance of speed with sight.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:33 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: [1]