General > Discussion

Game inspired in part by DoomRL

<< < (3/5) > >>

Evilpotatoe:
Looks cool at first glance, but are keybindings in a separate (read "editable without recompiling") file ?
I'm french, so A&Q are inverted, as well as Z&W.

Tormuse:
And in case it helps as an incentive, if you make it possible to rebind the keys, I'll make a Let's Play video of it in the style of my DoomRL videos.  :)

2birds1stone:

--- Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz on October 06, 2016, 19:31 ---despite the fact that by current gen games both suck for DoomRL! It still was the most accessible roguelike when it came out though!

--- End quote ---

Which modern roguelikes are you thinking of when you say this? Dungeons of Dredmore seems the obvious "polished UI" roguelike, but it commits the [IMO] cardinal sin of ability tooltips that don't actually tell you what the ability does.

Some of the handheld roguelikes (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, POWDER, Dungeon of Slyn) are more accessible from a UX perspective, but of those only Dungeon of Slyn had a PC release.

There are a few "games with roguelike elements" kicking around too, but I don't think they're really fair comparisons either.

lostmekka:

--- Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz on October 06, 2016, 19:31 ---Do not underestimate UI and UX. It's what got DoomRL to where it is, despite the fact that by current gen games both suck for DoomRL! It still was the most accessible roguelike when it came out though!

--- End quote ---

Hm yea I remember I liked DoomRL because I could just play it without reading the maual first... That actually was a huge plus :)

--- Quote from: Tormuse on October 11, 2016, 15:00 ---Also, a couple of questions:  Do those little red flying saucer things do anything besides run away?  I notice I get experience for destroying them, so I wondered if they notify other enemies of my location or something.

--- End quote ---

Yes, they tell everyone where they have seen you. Some enemies even lay barrages in that direction when they are told where you are. Unfortunately, they don't care yet whether there are walls between you and them, so they might just wreck the scenery :D

--- Quote from: Tormuse on October 11, 2016, 15:00 ---And what are "super skills?"  I notice that on the skills screen, everything has a listing that says "Super Skill 0/1" but I can't figure out how to earn them.  My first thought was that I have to max out a regular skill to gain access to a super skill, but even when I maxed out several of them, I still couldn't get them.

--- End quote ---

Yea, super skills were planned long ago to be some high level skills that require several maxed out basic skills. Its not implemented yet though, so there are no super skills yet. This also may be a good place for some unlockable content... Like when you beat a boss or get to a secret level, one super skill could be unlocked to be learnable in all future playthroughs. (just ideas for now ^^)
EDIT: Should prly state that there are no bosses or secret levels yet either. You know, to prevent disappointing searches :D

--- Quote from: Evilpotatoe on October 12, 2016, 13:44 ---Looks cool at first glance, but are keybindings in a separate (read "editable without recompiling") file ?
I'm french, so A&Q are inverted, as well as Z&W.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes, a config file... why did'nt I think of that earlier? :D Also: Why are french keyboards that different? Would'nt have thought that... So much to learn^^

--- Quote from: Tormuse on October 12, 2016, 21:50 ---And in case it helps as an incentive, if you make it possible to rebind the keys, I'll make a Let's Play video of it in the style of my DoomRL videos.  :)

--- End quote ---

Man that sounds awesome :D

lostmekka:
I have implemented key map configuration file support! The file itself may not be the most beautiful one though^^ It is generated when the game is started the first time. The old engine has no mapping support whatsoever, so I had to hack my way around it.

The release is available directly on GitHub (https://github.com/LostMekka/HFK/releases/tag/0.1.7a), as well as the project page (http://wwwpub.zih.tu-dresden.de/~s0173474/LMS/HFK/)

Thx again for your feedback, without that I probably would have trashed the project ^^

Oh and the Java version required to run the game went up with this release, it is now 1.8. (because NEW LANGUAGE FEATURES!!! omnomnom...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version