Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Game inspired in part by DoomRL  (Read 21210 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: Game inspired in part by DoomRL
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 01:55 »

Very cool!  :D  I'm playing around with the config file to figure out what key combination works best for me.  :)  What's the name for the "backspace" key?  I was thinking of making that my "drop" key.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

lostmekka

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 11:37 »

Backspace is KEY_BACK. The names are sometimes a bit silly or nondescriptive... sorry for that^^ To get this up fast I used the internal key code names of the old engine. They don't even have documentation for the fields, just the autogenerated javadoc (http://slick.ninjacave.com/javadoc/org/newdawn/slick/Input.html). There are key codes of which I have no idea to what key they map. Like KEY_AX. Wtf is AX?? :D

One more reason to move to a proper engine :)

However, I am fully responsible for the action names. They were originally not supposed to be exposed to the user, but now they kinda are^^ If there is anything unclear about them, just let me know and I'll try to help :)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 15:25 »

Cool, thanks!  :D

As promised, here's the video of me playing HFK.  :)  I played at Insane difficulty level and, after a couple of false starts, I got to level 8.  :D

I have to go to work shortly, but I'll talk some more about it later.

EDIT:  Back from work!  :)

First off, I want to apologize in advance for how flickery and stuttery it looks;  I don't know for sure if it's my recording software, or something to do with Java, or just the limitations of my computer, but I tried adjusting every setting I could think of to try to fix it and nothing worked.  :|  Everything seems to work fine while I'm playing the game, but visual distortions appear in the video, and unfortunately, it seems to get worse the longer you get into the video.  :|  Hopefully, it isn't too distracting.

Anyway, having keys that are more comfortable for me makes the game a lot more playable and a lot more fun, so thanks again for that.  :)  I think the video mostly speaks for itself, so I'm not sure how else to comment on it.  I hope you find it entertaining/interesting.  :)

A couple more suggestions for the game:  On the skill upgrade screen, it says "right-click to untrack skill," which makes it show your progress toward getting that upgrade on the main screen.  Isn't that backwards?  I mean shouldn't it say "right-click to track skill" for tracking your progress and "right-click to untrack skill" for disabling it?  And while I'm on the subject, it would be nice if, when the progress bar is full, you could click on it to upgrade that skill instead of going to the upgrade screen.  Another thing that would be nice is if the progress bar became a little more eye-catching when it's full like maybe it could change colour? (maybe yellow or white?)  Or maybe it could play a sound?  Something to draw attention to it, since I often forget about it.  :P  (Another possible option is to be able to set it so you automatically get the chosen upgrade when you reach that experience level, but I don't know how popular that idea would be)

Just some suggestions to get discussion going; they're all pretty minor things; like I've said before, it's a pretty solid game, so I don't have any major criticisms.  :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 22:41 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

lostmekka

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 17:03 »

After some investigation, it seems like the Vsync of the old engine somehow is not compatible with the way streaming software captures video data... I tried to reproduce the flickering by recording with OBS, but on my machine it was producing a really choppy framerate instead... When I disable Vsync, (its hard-coded right now) the framerate returns to normal. But having much screen shaking (explosions, firing machine guns) without Vsync is not such a good idea, because it will look like the walls are wiggling like crazy :/ Can you try to get your graphics driver to disable Vsync to see if it is indeed causing the flickering?

I suspect that the recording software accasionally grabs the video buffer of a frame when the game is not yet done rendering: The things that are drawn later on (like GUI elements) are more likely to be missing in some frames. Interestingly, this is not only seen in the recorded video, but also in the game screen itself, while recording... I have no clue why this should be the case :D

Btw: Have you tried loot mode? It is activated by holding down the A_LOOT_MODE button and it is really handy to figure out what stuff is lying around, picking up specific items, using items (heal, equip ect.) and even unloading weapons without picking them up first :) The keys for that are A_LOOT_GRAB, A_LOOT_USE and A_LOOT_UNLOAD.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 17:05 by lostmekka »

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 20:57 »

I looked through all my graphics driver settings and couldn't find any reference to "Vsync."  The closest I found was an option that said "wait for vertical refresh" which says "synchronizes the frame rate of 3D applications to the refresh rate of your display."  Is that the option I want?  (Sorry, I'm no expert in technical stuff and Google didn't help me much either)  In any case, I tried adjusting the slider all the way in both directions and it didn't have any effect.

Btw: Have you tried loot mode? It is activated by holding down the A_LOOT_MODE button and it is really handy to figure out what stuff is lying around, picking up specific items, using items (heal, equip ect.) and even unloading weapons without picking them up first :) The keys for that are A_LOOT_GRAB, A_LOOT_USE and A_LOOT_UNLOAD.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did not know that was an option, but I'll be sure to check it out.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 13:31 »

I lacked of time for the moment, but be sure I checked the game now that it got customable input, and am gonna play it at least until I reach the end alive.

It looks pretty cool.
I like the way the character & monsters move, the shooting system...  the traits look quite good too... and I probably forget a lot.

There is room for improvement, of course, but it looks nice already.

The only thing I would try to change is that imo, inventory management, doesn't fit well with the dynamic (real time) gameplay.  I find it quite frustrating that I have to first kill everyone, then bother about getting that stuff on the floor and putting it in some weapon slot after having emptied my previous weapon to get back the ammo... well, I gotta have to press 10 keys for that (and check the controls reminder web page 5 times :p)
Thats why imo, some improvements like autograbbing the ammo when walking on it, or easy unloading of weapons / muting useless items, etc., should be considered among future evolutions.
Just giving my opinion, it may be very subjective :)

Anyway, it's cool.  Gotta continue killing spiders for some time !
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

lostmekka

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 12:34 »

and am gonna play it at least until I reach the end alive.
Just to make sure you don't quit out of frustration: There is currently no end. It is play until you die :)
There already is an almost complete story in my head, but the game still has nothing of that in it.

The only thing I would try to change is that imo, inventory management, doesn't fit well with the dynamic (real time) gameplay.  I find it quite frustrating that I have to first kill everyone, then bother about getting that stuff on the floor and putting it in some weapon slot after having emptied my previous weapon to get back the ammo... well, I gotta have to press 10 keys for that (and check the controls reminder web page 5 times :p)
Thats why imo, some improvements like autograbbing the ammo when walking on it, or easy unloading of weapons / muting useless items, etc., should be considered among future evolutions.
I get that autograb suggestion a lot, but this is actually one thing that was clear from the beginning: The game should never do things on its own without explicit input from the player. Imo, this would create more frustration than it would solve. Instead I tried to make item management as smooth as possible by adding the loot mode. (see my previous post for that)

Anyway, it's cool.  Gotta continue killing spiders for some time !
Thx for you feedback <3

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 19:32 »

Reminds me a lot of 'Enter the Gungeon'

https://youtu.be/YSpo2VvN0SM

(Which, incidentally, is an incredible game!)
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2
Pages: 1 [2]  All