Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do I run open-source DRL?  (Read 5610 times)

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
How do I run open-source DRL?
« on: December 21, 2016, 19:13 »

More specifically, what do you actually do with FPC Valkyrie? All I know is I need to have it. I have no idea what that means, and I really don't have time to copy & paste it into every single directory on my entire hard drive individually until it stops telling me it couldn't find vpkg, since information on how to install it or any library has not yet been made available on the internet (yes, of all the thing that aren't anywhere on the internet, how to do this is one of them)

So if anyone actually knows how to do it, help would be appreciated.
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: How do I run open-source DRL?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 09:01 »

* yaflhdztioxo cracks knuckles

We haven't yet gotten maintainers set up or a clear direction for what we're going to do with old and busted DoomRL; the code wasn't released when KK was good and ready so he's busy with Jupiter Hell and all the fallout from that.  It's a free for all until things settle down; eventually we'll get there.  Right now data is scattered about, mostly in the GitHub issue threads, and here's the gist of it (Windows is easiest, I haven't gotten linux to work yet):

Grab DoomRL and FPCValkyrie. Both are here on GitHub and owned by ChaosForge. Place their root directories side by side.
    Grab a copy of DoomRL. You'll want the sounds and music from it and those aren't on GitHub. You'll also probably want the DLLs if you're on windows (unix users have it tougher--they have to actually get all the extra packages themselves)
    Get FreePascal and Lazarus. As of this writing you should REALLY GET the x86 versions; DoomRL will compile but won't work as a 64 bit program so that'll make life easier for you. Unfortunately linux users have to deal with a bug that causes optimization to explode spectacularly; either get the latest fpc from trunk or turn off optimizations.
    Fire up Lazarus. It'll look for things it needs; if it can't find something grab that package. Curse the Lazarus multi-window interface.
    Open up the DoomRL project. That'd be doomrl/src/doomrl.lpi. You might be interested in makewad too but most modders prefer to leave everything uncompiled.
    Compile. Hopefully it'll work. There's a couple of nice debug flags that you might want to toggle too such as the one that highlights cells you can see that opponents can't see you from >).

For your specific question fpcvalkyrie is built alongside DoomRL.  I'm not a freepascal expert (if it were pure C most of us would have had this down pat a while ago) but from what I gather fpc doesn't use shared libraries the way c devs think of them; the project file expects valkyrie to be alongside the doomrl directory so that's where you put it.

If you need further help you can also try asking on our IRC channel or joining the discussions on GitHub.  It being the tail end of the year you might not get a response very quickly; it's just the timing of it all.

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 11:54 »

Alright, thanks. That seems to work. (Sadly, I don't have lua5.1.dll so I can't run any of the compiled programs, but hey!)
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 12:24 »

Easiest way around that is to yank the dlls that come with a regular boring old 0.9.9.7 windows DoomRL release.  You'll need it anyway for the sounds and stuff.

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 17:04 »

IT LIVES!

I had to edit config.lua a bit, tough - only because it defaulted to sound and music, not soundhq and musichq (and as I only have the high-quality versions as of 0.9.9.6, I had to take 0.9.9.5's set, which fails on dark_secrets.mid). After that, I'm able to play the new beta just fine; thanks for your assistance!
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 17:38 »

Great!  Now you can play WolfRL which lives on in GitHub as well...

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 19:58 »

Precisely how far back in windows versions do you think we can go backwards with it and still have it run? Because if we can get it to go on Win 3.1 or 95, we can Dosbox it. And then I can get an overlay going for touchscreen support for mobile through Magic Dosbox.

Some people would think that having an entire dos emulated installation of windows on an android phone is going a bit far just to play a roguelike, but I say it's exactly how far I'm happy to go to play it.

So is it compilable as a 3.1 or 95 compatible program? It doesn't actually mention windows versions in the d/l page.

((it definitely doesn't work in win3.11. I'll try a fresh install of win95. And might do the pseudo98 upgrade if it still reports a dos-mode error. I vaguely remember only slightly older versions running in 98, but that might've been XP I'm remembering. It was a while ago. I'll report back anyway. There might not be any need to recompile it......))
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 22:01 by Sambojin »

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 07:43 »

Admittedly I know nothing about those newfangled phones kids have these days but would it possibly be easier to just port DoomRL to whatever unix flavor the Androids use?  Linux DoomRL does exist...
Pages: [1]