Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beating the Chained Court+ on AoD  (Read 5663 times)

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Beating the Chained Court+ on AoD
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:34 »

So, I decided to do my AoD run on a new computer while I'm away for the holidays. Last time I did one, I did a dual AoD/A100 run so I never ran into any special levels.

I'm currently at the Chained Court+, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I should do. I'm slowly running out at health at this point, and I'm fairly sure I've killed everything atleast once (I've probably killed some of them more than a dozen times at this point). I even blew up the Hell Knight corpses to stop them from respawning, and I would do the same to some of the formers but they don't leave any visible corpses. My problem is that no matter what I do the wall blocking the stairs and mod packs never disappears.

singalen

• Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Beating the Chained Court+ on AoD
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:30 »

Welcome to the forums!
I personally never went far in AoD or Nightmare, but I know you can kill enemies in a doorways. Killing on another enemy's corpse helps too (but the last corpse remains there).
Do you know about giftdropping? You can lure and relatively safe kill formers and maybe even knights in such a way.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 11:45 »

I may be wrong here, but on AoD or N+, where enemies respawn, the level is not considered complete simply by killing every single enemy. Instead, to complete such levels, any and all creatures must be dead at a single moment (they may revive later still, but this shpuld not break the completion).

So I would guess that there is still something lurking in an area you thought for cleared.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 13:35 »

ZicherCZ is correct; they all have to be dead at the same time.  Also, the formers do leave corpses, but you might not see them because the weapons they drop are in the way; if you pick up the weapon, you'll see the corpse underneath.

I recommend using the shotgun to knock them into the lava so they don't respawn.  If they aren't near enough to the lava, you can wait by the corpse until it respawns and then shoot them with the shotgun before they get a chance to shoot you, and then repeat as many times as necessary until you knock them into the lava.  Of course, you need a lot of shells to do this; if you don't have a lot of shells, then you'll have to do what singalen suggested and lure them into the doorways and kill them there.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 13:37 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 18:29 »

Any tips for accomplishing this then? My best guess would be standing in the starting area and luring them all into the doorways to try to get them all dead at the same time. And yes, I'm aware of giftdropping. I'll probably use my worn armor, since I'm otherwise all out of gifts at the moment. I was hoping it would be possible to accomplish in in some simpler way (I know, silly). There are plenty of sergeants, so I might just knock them into the lava. But still, even with the weapons gone, I think I never saw a corpse. I might just be missing something. If I saw corpses it'd be simple since I could blow up a decent chunk of it with my rocket launcher. It was just confusing since neither the wiki or the internet in general didn't answer any questions about respawning enemies and levels like CC+ that requires killing all enemies.

*Edit* Adding an attachment of a screenshot of my main position up to this point. The majority of the enemies are in a spawn/kill zone within my vision range, the main exception (which I noticed when doing a scouting mission) was one former human. And yes, picking the loot up on the spot of a dead former at this point certainly yielded a real corpse. Miss on my part. I'll be finishing this up for tonight, but thanks.

*Edit 2* Managed to take care of it by luring them all into one place aswell as putting a few of them into the lava with my Double shotty.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 22:14 by Minaro »

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:45 »

Well, I guess you have no shortage of shells, then.  :D

You wanted a simpler way?  This *is* the simpler way!  That's why it's called a challenge!  :D

And having to have all enemies dead at the same time is a requirement for all special levels in N! and AoD.  It's probably not well documented on the Wiki because not enough people play at those difficulty levels.  Also, I should probably point out that if you do succeed in eliminating all enemies and then one of them respawns and is alive when you leave the level, that level counts as incomplete.

Also, I'm curious to know how you did after this thread; how far did you get?  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 04:33 »

You may also try "corpse-overwriting". The game allows only a single corpse on any single tile, so if you manage to kill an enemy so that it's corpse lands on another corpse (mind your knockback here), the previous corpse is destroyed and will not resurrect.

Also note that if a corpse revives after completing the level, the rewards for completion are already generated and yours for taking. You are not, however, eligible for any medals and badges that require the particular level to be completed (unless you kill that post-completion-revived, that is).

And one more thing to note - rocket launchers and their ilk are great for corpse destruction, certainly - but the rocket must hit something to explode in the first place. Thus , this strategy is slightly less viable in open spaces with no walls or enemies for the rocket to explode on.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 11:41 »

Thanks for pointing out the part about respawning enemies on special levels and completion - that'll come in handy knowing in the future. If I remember correctly, I completed the run without any real problems after that.
I'm aware of most of the ways of taking care of corpses, I was doing a N! AoD/AoMC run before I went home (I've been in my hometown on the holidays, borrowed a computer from my folks during my stay). I have a question about that - I never managed to finish that run in time before going back, is there any way of making the game recognize a N! run as "crashed" and restoring it? While the game was still running I copied the entire folder and put it on a USB-stick, since I didn't know - if it is possible - which files I would be needing. Then I killed the process so that if I wouldn't be able to replicate it on another computer it'll still be possible to do it on that one when I get back there... if it's possible.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 14:42 »

Nightmare is deliberately designed to be non-resumable to avoid any kind of save scumming, so there is no way of doing so in the normal course of running DoomRL. There may be other ways to do what you're asking, but if so they require technical knowledge of computing that is far above mine =P
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 00:54 »

Shame - it was a good run. I was nearing Hell with things running smooth.
Pages: [1]