Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any advice for the latter half of N! AoD/A100?  (Read 5581 times)

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Any advice for the latter half of N! AoD/A100?
« on: January 21, 2017, 22:28 »

So I decided to get a N! AoD/A100 run going. At this point I've pretty much gotten over the hefty hurdle that was the earlygame and thanks to a Necroarmor drop I'm comfortably killing mostly everything with my Vampyre build without losing much - if any - hp. I should be fine for the most part for a while.

My question at this point is basically if there's anything you can think of that I should keep in mind for the later levels of the run to keep things from getting hairy? I'm sitting on a Energy-Shielded Vest in case I find the parts to make a Cybernano armor, which would further simplify things - should I get there. Other than that I haven't found anything spectacular - I'm using a Chainsword, Assault Shotty and Laser Rifle as my main ways of disposing enemies aswell as a RL for corpse disposal.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice for the latter half of N! AoD/A100?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 00:40 »

You appear to be set up pretty well for the rest of the game :).

One thing to keep in mind are the enemies that are yet to appear. More and more elite humans, nightmare enemies, and even shamblers and Cybies will start to come in to say hello, and sometimes they will appear in single-monster levels. A nightmare-demon or even nightmare-arachnotron cave is a thing of, well, nightmares. Elite humans, on the other hand, carry improved weapons, all the way up to a napalm launcher.

So perhaps the only advice would be - don't get too cocky, have some escapes (phase devices FTW!) and use them sooner than later. I hope to see your mortem in the Century Lounge soon! :)
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 03:50 »

Yeah, I've done a few A100 runs before, just never on N!. I've run into Lava elementals, a Cybie and Shambler. The only difference on N! would be that there'll be far more of them (and harder enemies showing up earlier). Are there any enemies apart from the Viles that will not respawn?

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:43 »

You shouldn't meet harder enemies earlier than on UV (the level restrictions are the same for UV and N!). You can, however, meet more of them on a single floor.
Besides Viles (and nightmare viles), lost souls and elementals (pain, agony and lava) certainly do not respawn, as they do not leave a corpse to respawn from. For all I know, Cybies and Shamblers do not respawn as well, and everything else does.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:52 »

Cyberdemons don't, but I seem to remember shamblers leaving a corpse...
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 15:08 »

Cyberdemons don't, but I seem to remember shamblers leaving a corpse...
They may leave a corpse, but I can't recall ever seeing them resurrected (at least by Viles, and at least IMHE - I played UV Ao666 at that time, so N!/AoD ressurection was out of the question).
Cybies and Viles leave corpses as well, but these are coded to not allow their ressurection. Shambler may be that case as well.

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 16:55 »

You shouldn't meet harder enemies earlier than on UV (the level restrictions are the same for UV and N!). You can, however, meet more of them on a single floor.
Besides Viles (and nightmare viles), lost souls and elementals (pain, agony and lava) certainly do not respawn, as they do not leave a corpse to respawn from. For all I know, Cybies and Shamblers do not respawn as well, and everything else does.
Yeah, I should've mentioned my point of reference was the standard difficulty. Apart from the other modifiers, the only difference between N! and UV is the amount of enemies spawned.

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 17:28 »

Just thought I'd give you a view of what I ran into on floor 99. Had a Homing Phase Device but I thought I'd humor myself :P

Here comes the Mortem;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The score for this run was more than 15x higher than the highest score of my other runs :P
No idea how to disable the codes to prevent the text from getting strikethrough'd.

thelaptop edit: You use the "mortem" tags instead of "pre".  I've done them for you here to show you what I mean.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 21:28 by thelaptop »

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 23:59 »

AoD? That's just downright nasty. I did AoMC/A100 once and that was a slog. Can't imagine doing that on AoD XD Good job sir!
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 00:17 »

Well AoD ain't *that* bad if you're gonna run N! anyway, one of the biggest problems on AoD is the respawning and that already happens on N!. Visual range is the second one, but unless you're finding yourself in a very unfavorable position you'll be dragging things through chokepoints most of the time where it won't matter anyway. No persistent mapping is an inconvenience but manageable.
I think my biggest worry was not being able to save, since I lost motivation for playing DoomRL for a while around floor 20-30. Ended up doing a few floors a day - at most - for a decent while. It would've been a major letdown if my computer had crashed or something during these ~9 days. I churned through the last 50 or so floors yesterday. Once I found an Onyx mod I mostly just rambo'd around. But yeah, it was a major slog. Especially around 15+ where I had enough talents and gear to feel fairly confident about not dying (unless I ended up in a *really* bad spot), but not confident enough to not hole up in the first suitable chokepoint I'd find... but I guess that shows on the turncount.
I also maxed out on levels somewhere around floor 50 iirc. Might've been earlier.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 01:01 »

Two Platinums, two Diamonds, and a 90%+ killrate on N!. Plus AoD. Plus Ao100.
Damn impressive win - congratulations! :)

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 09:45 »

Cheers, I was planning to try a N! AoB/AoD run next. I've tried a few before, but they tend to get stomped just before they can get rolling.
Pages: [1]