Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The impossible bronze badge  (Read 10118 times)

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
The impossible bronze badge
« on: January 30, 2017, 13:33 »

Even after all these years there's one badge series that I find to be complete bullshit, the 'Speedrunner' series.

My average win in this game is around 3-4 hours and even the bronze asks for it to be done in 30 minutes, any suggestions on how to pickup the pace without getting killed?
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The impossible bronze badge
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 13:37 »

Angel of Overconfidence, run. Be lucky.
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Deathwind

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 13:46 »

The badge requires it to be a standard game...
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 13:52 »

I'm not super good at it, but after lots of tries I've gotten the silver speedrun badge.

Don't 100%. Take stairs if you dont see any useful items or enemies to kill.
Avoid taking too much damage
Rush for powerups

Get Hellrunner
Melee build is faster

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 13:52 »

Playing console version instead of tiles can help a lot here, or so I heard. All those movement and projectile animations don't really help with real-time speed.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Minaro

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 14:01 »

Even after all these years there's one badge series that I find to be complete bullshit, the 'Speedrunner' series.

My average win in this game is around 3-4 hours and even the bronze asks for it to be done in 30 minutes, any suggestions on how to pickup the pace without getting killed?
It's possible, but it's far from fun. I personally enjoy the tactical need to take my time doing things. In the speedrunner bagdes you basically just charge straight for the stairs, get yourself enough talents to kill the mastermind - assuming you get that far. Skip any special levels except the CC, and you only go CC to get the chainsaw.

Deathwind

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 14:03 »

Unfortunately console mode isn't an option for me anymore as I cannot full screen it and playing in a 2X3 inch window isn't viable... (I hate windows 8.1)
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 15:11 »

Pretty sure I can get the 15 minute one without too many tries (and hell tries don't take very long!).
10 minute one is awfully difficult.

My technique is taking hellrunner, dodgemaster, either berserker or TAN, and making a shotgun dash for the end. Kill Cybie using environment suit + fireproof red.

Note - graphics version. I'm slower on ascii.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 15:16 by Sylph »
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 16:02 »

I had all bronze on my old profile... might fire it up and take a look at the new one to see if I can't produce a mortem for you.

Edit: Hereyago. First try btw... this challenge allows ITYTD.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as the higher tier challenges, they'll definitely get a bit tougher, but in general, melee stairdives are the way to go for speedruns. Don't spend too much time thinking(especially for Bronze!), just kill whatever's on your way to the stairs, grab any decent loot or powerups on the way, make sure you snag the chainsaw(don't even think about the arena, just hit CC basic), then dive as fast as possible. Take traits that help melee along the way... you might want to do more planning then I did for this, because I just kinda picked stuff that looked good based on memory(haven't played in... months, at least), and it still worked well, but again, this one's ITYTD. Anything higher then that you'll want to put a little more thought into planning (so you can put less into playing) then I just did here.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 16:31 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 22:09 »

Unfortunately console mode isn't an option for me anymore as I cannot full screen it and playing in a 2X3 inch window isn't viable... (I hate windows 8.1)

I'm not that familiar with Windows 8, but when I'm making my recordings in Windows XP, (and it won't let me record in fullscreen) I lower the overall resolution to make the window take more space on the screen and I also increase the font size of the window.  In XP, I can do that by right-click -> properties on the shortcut or on the window itself.  (I suspect there's a way to do that in Win 8 as well; you might need to Google it)  I'm able to get it to take up most of the screen, which takes a little bit of getting used to when I'm used to fullscreen, but it's very playable.

Regardless, there are other ways to increase the speed through the Config.lua file:  turn down the "rundelay" to 1 or even zero.  (By default, the game puts realtime delays in the "run" command)  Also, turn off the bloodslide effect.  (It speeds things up between levels)  These things won't give you a lot of extra time, but every little bit helps.  :)

That covers the technical side of things...  next, strategy...

You're obviously quite proficient at the game, as evidenced by your recent mortem in which you nearly got a YAAM conqueror at HMP.  (Awesome!)  :)  I'm with you in the camp of being a player who tends to play slowly and ploddingly; I take time to consider every move, especially when things get difficult, so I know it can be hard to make that switch to playing fast and not overthinking things.

May I ask what's your most common way of failing at this challenge?  Do you get killed or do you just run out of time?  If the former, I suggest you slow down and breathe a little; for ITYTD, 30 minutes is more time than you might think.  If the latter, then I'd say you're spending far too much time on individual levels when you should be heading straight (or straighter) to the exit.  This is not a challenge where you're going for 100% kills.  You just need to find the right balance that works for you.

Beyond that, build suggestions:  Scout is the obvious choice for the stair sense, and as others have suggested, melee saves quite a bit of time too; just walk into your enemies instead of mashing of F and R.  (I've had quite a bit of success in speed runs with a Blademaster build)  I recommend you do a stair-dive to Chained Court, grab the chainsaw, and make the berserk last as long as possible.  Just go straight to the exit every time, only killing enemies in your way and don't deviate from your straight line to the exit except for particularly tempting prizes like more berserk packs and/or invulnerability spheres.  Like I said in the above paragraph, how much you do deviate depends on your playstyle and where you fall on that balance between going fast and thinking (overthinking?) about things.  You might need to experiment a little to figure out what works best for you.

Good luck!  I'm curious to hear about your results!  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 23:17 »

The badge requires it to be a standard game...
Oh right, derp. My bad. I actually forgot about that requirement.
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Q2ZOv

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:52 »

This old thread has two .dm2 replays of sub 3 minutes playthroughs. It is the old version of DoomRL but I don't think anything changed in respect to speedrunning the game.

I never had windows 8.1 but I think that it should be possible to make console window big by changing font there. Example: 1780x942 and It can still be made twice as bigger for that 4k displays (my apologies for russian language in properties -_-).
0.9.9.7 Imp Corporal
[6/3/2/1/1/0]
0.9.9.6 Cyberdemon God Hand
[24/22/22/17/15]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 05:03 »

This old thread has two .dm2 replays of sub 3 minutes playthroughs. It is the old version of DoomRL but I don't think anything changed in respect to speedrunning the game.

Wow, I guess I did do that back in the day. That would take some effort to get back in to that zone.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 08:41 »

And here I was fairly proud of myself for posting a sub-15 minute win on my first attempt.

Holy crap, you guys. One of you should see if you can't manage that absurd Angelic version of Speedrunner =P
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Q2ZOv

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 09:41 »

And here I was fairly proud of myself for posting a sub-15 minute win on my first attempt.

Holy crap, you guys. One of you should see if you can't manage that absurd Angelic version of Speedrunner =P

Tried that during 0.9.9.7 beta and wasn't even close. As far as I remember I could have got just under 10m on N! but died on one of a latest levels.
0.9.9.7 Imp Corporal
[6/3/2/1/1/0]
0.9.9.6 Cyberdemon God Hand
[24/22/22/17/15]
Pages: [1] 2  All