Other Roguelikes > AliensRL

Ideas!

(1/3) > >>

Darwinism:
Not sure where else to post this, but here goes!

Equipment:
Night vision goggles: Would allow you to see much further in those pesky dark halls. Would require batteries that are used up after X number of turns.

Motion trackers: Lets you see aliens within 10 meters. I know, they stand still till they see you, but meh. Also would require batteries.

Sentry gun: Has X amount of rounds to fire and automatically engages aliens. Also really, really pisses them off. (Makes them swarm it if they're within range)

Proximity mines: Detonates when an alien steps on a space around it for frag grenade-like damage.

Welder: Closing off vents! Batteries needed, again.

Any other ideas?

Edit: Also, the gyro-stabilizer didn't interfere with the Marine's ability to wear armor. But I guess that's a balance issue. That could lead, of course, to more stages of armor; gyro-stabilizers with the armor included, heavy armor, powered armor, so on. Rather than... uh. Flak jackets which aren't even used anymore IRL(We have better)

zaimoni:
Looks like the right place to me....

Snap impressions (assuming these are actually in-theme for the original series):
* night vision goggles: ignoring play balance for a moment, the light-amplifier version of these should be either autoadaptive (not allowing better vision if the area is already well-lit), or blindness goggles in normal light levels.  [Physically, they should be blindness goggles in low-light...but that's truly worthless for gameplay.]  The IR version...won't go into too much detail, but they clearly won't be any good looking past an incendiary grenade.
* Proximity grenade: exactly what would you want to do with these?  Tactically, an explored room either doesn't have useful items (do not return unless shortest-route) or does (don't want to cut off own access).

Closing off vents has already been discussed: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=766.msg7381#msg7381 .

zaimoni:
It's not that we have better than flak jackets; it's that the modern version of a flak jacket is unnoticeable under street clothing.

More interesting (recalling the U.S. DoJ body armor rating criteria) is that it is a nontrivial engineering feat to construct light body armor that is effective against both firearms and blades.  Blades, of course, being more analogous to alien claws.

Darwinism:
But we do have better; the ceramic inserts for LBVs. I suppose they're roughly the same idea as flak jackets, but much more advanced. Also, the CMC in Aliens wore clamshell-style breastplates and such.

Also, I want to see Alice from AvP2 in the game. Oh yes.

zaimoni:
While they may be comparable weight to Vietnam-era flak jackets in use, ceramic inserts (intuitively, "shatter plates") are not the same concept as a flak jacket (intuitively, "ballistic net").

Plasteel is the closest in-genre analog of ceramic inserts.  Although I doubt plasteel shatters by design (and thus is actually compatible with the game mechanics, unlike ceramic inserts).  I don't know whether it's in the game, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version