Other Roguelikes > AliensRL

Ideas!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Psion:
There was a very impressive real world example of advanced combat armor on Future Weapons.  It was a suit of armor made from individual ceramic metal alloy "scales" lined up in such a way to disperse the impact energy.  It easily took multiple hits from a variety of weapons but the most impressive thing was when they detonated a grenade under it at point blank range.  None of the shrapnel penetrated what so ever and, while the armor looked beat up and ugly, was still somewhat intact.

One thing: are you going to put in that man portable plasma cannon they mention in the colonial marine technology manual?  They make it sound like a single rate of fire weapon with massive armor penetration.  Sort of like a railgun I guess.

Kornel Kisielewicz:
You mean the PIG? Yeah, it would probably added with the sentry bots.

DaEezT:
- night vision goggles: might be useful in a later version to counter the low light effect of certain areas. But currently, there are no objectives that require the player to fully explore such a low light area.

- sentry gun: Not as item for the player to deploy.

- Motion tracker: Was discussed during development and shortly after release. Has to be in, hard to balance tho.

- About weapons, armor & realism: Keep in mind that this is a fictional setting and the primary concern is balancing it. Names are just applied for show. and can be changed easily ;)
Currently there are two armors that allow the use of heavy weapons and two that don't. More will probably be added later. The 'plasteel armor' from Aliens also came up during development and will find its way in someday.

zaimoni:
One wouldn't want the game mechanics to be too realistic, anyway.

After reviewing the RGR_ threads on the design requirements for permadeath games, it became clear that an "internally accurate wargame"/"internally accurate combat system for a game" is almost by definition awful gameplay.  ["almost", as a concession to limited imagination...I certainly can't think of a way to make internally accurate combat playable.]

Darwinism:
I'm not asking for real-world accuracy; we're talking about a game with genetically-engineered bugs that have molecular acid for blood, after all. I'd like to see the pulse rifle have a 99-round clip, though, and a rename on the MP5(Neither are huge issues).

Edit: Also, how about weapons with ammo still in them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version