Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quick question about intuition + berserk  (Read 4565 times)

wazzur1

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Quick question about intuition + berserk
« on: February 14, 2017, 01:30 »

Is it an intended feature for the intuition creature markers to be black when berserk? This makes it so you cant sense the creatures at all when the map has not been explored because the background tile is also black. It seems pretty convoluted to think that this is a design decision since monsters that move over an item or stairs will be visible even in unexplored parts of the map since the black X will be contrasted with the item. I tried to change the color for intuition to yellow in the config but it didnt seem to do anything.

Amazing game by the way. Got back into it recently and playing at a much higher level after discovering corner shooting exists lol.

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about intuition + berserk
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:58 »

I've noticed this as well. It's pretty awkward for melee builds, as they'll almost *always* take Ber in addition to being very reliant on Int to not get shot in the face on a regular basis.
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:52 »

To be honest, all of the status-based color overrides(berserk, invulnerable, envirosuit) are a bit annoying. It's kind of a cool concept, but in practice it makes a lot of information that's immediately evident in the standard view either much more difficult to interpret, or completely unavailable.

I hope Jupiter Hell retains the theme, but implements it in a way that doesn't interfere with the way the screen displays information.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:15 »

Been there before. Didn't get the love I was hoping it to receive.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 13:43 »

From a little roleplaying perspective, I like to think of it this way: You are berserking, raging, you need to taste blood! RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!!!
No wonder Intuition simply becomes overriden by pure rage and bloodthirst.

By the way, this could make an interesting mechanic - while berserk, Intuition only works when you have no enemies in sight. You sense your next target, but as soon as you spot an enemy, you care only about them, you need to kill them, you need to taste blood! RIP AND TEAR ... umm, sorry.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 13:55 »

It shouldn't need to be explained away, it should be fixed. As is mentioned in the thread LuckyDee linked, Intuition works properly while berserk in ASCII, so it's not an intended mechanic that it fails with the tiled graphics. The way the full-screen status color changes work in DRL's graphical mode is badly executed, and needs to be done differently in JH and any future iterations of DRL.

I'm not intending to criticize Kornel, here - obviously I'm a huge supporter of his work, and I realize he's probably not focused on correcting DRL issues at the moment, with all the focus on Jupiter Hell. All the more reason, however, to get it right in that project.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 14:28 »

From a little roleplaying perspective, I like to think of it this way: You are berserking, raging, you need to taste blood! RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!!!
No wonder Intuition simply becomes overriden by pure rage and bloodthirst.

By the way, this could make an interesting mechanic - while berserk, Intuition only works when you have no enemies in sight. You sense your next target, but as soon as you spot an enemy, you care only about them, you need to kill them, you need to taste blood! RIP AND TEAR ... umm, sorry.

There, there... ;)

It shouldn't need to be explained away, it should be fixed. As is mentioned in the thread LuckyDee linked, Intuition works properly while berserk in ASCII, so it's not an intended mechanic that it fails with the tiled graphics. The way the full-screen status color changes work in DRL's graphical mode is badly executed, and needs to be done differently in JH and any future iterations of DRL.

I'm not intending to criticize Kornel, here - obviously I'm a huge supporter of his work, and I realize he's probably not focused on correcting DRL issues at the moment, with all the focus on Jupiter Hell. All the more reason, however, to get it right in that project.

My point exactly. Oh wait, it was my point. Anyhow, don't be afraid to utter criticism. As long as you keep it decent and based on objective evidence, there's nothing wrong with being honest.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

wazzur1

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 23:33 »

thank you for the discussion. Glad to know im not the only one who found this a bit annoying. In fact, im of the opinion that the color changes from invul/enviro suit/berserk are sacrificing too much in terms of visibility just for a stylistic flair. I think it would be better to just put a red green or white glow around the player character.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 17:32 »

Just in case I didn't growl against this somewhere already in the past, and because I don't want JH to retain this kind of "features"
im of the opinion that the color changes from invul/enviro suit/berserk are sacrificing too much

+42 !

It participates to make the game "doomish", which is one of its value... true.  But on the other hand, I never play berserk, and often don't use the radiation suits I find (outside of one for the Limbo pits, btw)... essentially because it makes the game ugly, and also quite often because the little protection it gives is rarely worth reducing your player's perception (even without INT).
Invulnerability doesn't bother me.  Its exactly as it was in the original game, and doesn't cripple your perceptions.  I'm even pretty persuaded this visual effect, in the original Doom, was also intended to give the player a little drawback (but honestly, dit it ?)

I'm sure a slighter filter would be OK.  As long as it remains doomish (or Jupitish xD), but Hell !  Not anything that ugly again.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43
Pages: [1]