Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [U|100%|Ao100|YAAM] Centurial Platinum + Lt. General  (Read 4745 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
[U|100%|Ao100|YAAM] Centurial Platinum + Lt. General
« on: February 17, 2017, 20:44 »

Typical Ao100 - too easy once it gets rolling. Opted for nanoskin armor to shore up my completed assemblies, and just as well since I didn't find Malek till the very last level(and never found O mod, so if I'd waited for cybernano, which I'm also missing, I would have been disappointed). Nuclear Burst Cannon is pretty legit, but let's be real, I was meleeing just about everything by the end.

Tried a different build path then I normally do, taking Bru->Bru->Ber before completing MAc, for survivability, and it worked quite well. Going berserk makes everything a hell of a lot easier, since I can run up to viles and other nasty things and take them down, and I can take quite a lot of abuse(especially with a nanoskin red!) without having to worry about dying.

This was the last Platinum I needed for Lt General, so I've almost returned to my former glory - just a few more Cyberdemons for the experience rank, and then it's time to actually improve. Platinum #10 should be easy, as I'm one advanced assembly(environmental boots, which I forgot existed and so made Cerberus instead) from Technician, and Armorer should also be easily doable(albeit a long way away, 337/1000 atm) with enough grinding, so all that leaves is one to make full General. Looking at Marksman, but I *hate* pistols(I don't have the slightest clue how Arena Gold is even possible), so we'll see.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 21:20 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: [U|100%|Ao100|YAAM] Centurial Platinum + Lt. General
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:38 »

Nice one!  :D

Burst nuclear plasma rifle without Eagle Eye seems pretty funny to me; I don't know if you'd be able to hit anything with the accuracy penalty.  :)  I find it's quite devastating with a couple levels of EE, but maybe Ammochain makes up for that?
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:57 »

Congratulations, and don't downplay your win. Ao100 is fun (in its own sense) once you start rolling, that's true. Getting it rolling is a completely different matter.

... (I don't have the slightest clue how Arena Gold is even possible) ...

Not that difficult, in fact.
Pick a Technician, which starts with a T mod (-20% firing speed).
Pick SoG -> SoG -> SoG - you should get SoG3 in the middle of the Arena itself, and if you find a lucky vault on Floor 2, perhaps even earlier. Your firing speed is now at 0.32s even with a basic pistol.
A liberal use of cornershooting, pillardancing and running tactics should then do the trick. Of course, be prepared to take some damage, especially from the barons in the third wave, and hope that enemies will not simply swarm you from the starting position.
And if you are not playing AoMr, bring a shotgun for some help with first two waves (which include lost souls and demons).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 16:16 »

I had thought there was a pretty severe accuracy penalty too, but when I checked it ingame it came up as +0... not a bonus, but not really a penalty either. Referring to the wiki shows a -2 on the mod, negating a +2 on the rifle. I had an A mod I was thinking about slapping on it, but I was kind of holding out for a sniper mod.

Think about it this way - the Nuclear Burst Cannon I made starts out with 8 round bursts. The mandatory 2 levels of TH required for MAc bring it up to 10. Burst Cannon doesn't negatively affect fire time, and I was rolling with 3 levels of Fin by the end, so I'm putting a massive amount of rounds downrange in very little time - and since enemies tend to be clustered when they spawn, even the rounds that aren't hitting their target are often hitting something.

The biggest drawbacks to a burst cannon are that it drains the magazine very quickly due to the massive burst size, and reloading time is dangerously long(not to mention how quickly you'll go through cells). This makes it generally only viable for a switch to put a large amount of plasma on a dangerous target in a short time, as described above, but doesn't really allow sustained firing, much less chainfiring. Of course, Ammochain completely negates the first drawback, and the fact that I put it on a Nuclear rifle negates the second(and third). What this means is that I actually can chainfire, and holy god does that make for huge bursts(15! per trigger pull) once it gets up to full speed. I don't care how crowded your level spawn is, you will always run out of targets before you even come close to running out of ammo, and with the nuclear regeneration rate, you'll be at full charge before you find more.

@Zicher, I'd been attempting with Int->Int->SoG, for pseudo ESP, or SoG->SoG->Dualgunner, assuming the double damage was worth the slight increase in fire speed, but perhaps I was misguided. I'll have a look at your method tonight - it builds well into MSs, so perhaps I'll get a shot at Marksman Platinum as well if I pull it off.

I am, of course, playing AoMr, as that's required by both badges, Arena Gold and Marksman Platinum.

Edit: Mission complete, at least for Arena Gold - wasn't able to make it even as far as the Anomaly, though - Phobos 6 and 7 were both maze levels which were not kind to me. At any rate, thanks for the tip - attack speed is quite powerful. I suppose that makes my case for a MAc + Fin3 Burst Cannon even stronger...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 18:51 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 02:40 »

@Zicher, I'd been attempting with Int->Int->SoG, for pseudo ESP, or SoG->SoG->Dualgunner, assuming the double damage was worth the slight increase in fire speed, but perhaps I was misguided. I'll have a look at your method tonight - it builds well into MSs, so perhaps I'll get a shot at Marksman Platinum as well if I pull it off.

I am, of course, playing AoMr, as that's required by both badges, Arena Gold and Marksman Platinum.

Edit: Mission complete, at least for Arena Gold - wasn't able to make it even as far as the Anomaly, though - Phobos 6 and 7 were both maze levels which were not kind to me. At any rate, thanks for the tip - attack speed is quite powerful. I suppose that makes my case for a MAc + Fin3 Burst Cannon even stronger...
SoG has not only the firing speed benefit, it also directly raises you damage by 1 per rank. These two benefits are really powerful together, raising your DPS from 5 (no SoG) through 7.2, 11.66, 20, 45 and 100 at SoG5 with a basic pistol (reloading and accuracy are not factored in this calculation). Quite an increase, if you ask me.
Add in the benefits of Sharpshooter, have a little luck with equipment, and you can go as high as 230 DPS (at SoG5 with a P3-modded combat pistol).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:06 »

Wow, that's an insane increase o.O

I've never been the kind of person that worries too much about the actual numbers behind gameplay abilities like that - I play by feel, experience, and the advice of others, which has worked fairly well, but I wonder how much else I'm missing. I also wonder if that's the kind of stuff that allows people to manage tasks that seem impossible to me, such as Hell Arena Pwnage.

It also reminds me that eventually I'll need to go dig up whatever old thread I ripped off to do Longinus Diamond on my old profile - I believe that also relied on an attack speed boosting method with Finesse, but I can't recall the exact build and I have no idea where to start going about calculating it.

Then again, I now have significantly more Diamonds then I did back then, even without that one - so hopefully that means I actually am improving at this game =P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:10 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:19 »

It also reminds me that eventually I'll need to go dig up whatever old thread I ripped off to do Longinus Diamond on my old profile - I believe that also relied on an attack speed boosting method with Finesse, but I can't recall the exact build and I have no idea where to start going about calculating it.
You might have used a build somewhat similar to mine - a AoOC Scout with HR2 and Fin2. With that, both your movespeed and attack speed is slightly higher than AoD's, so you can then just run around in circles and hitting it when it cannot retaliate. Beating the AoD this way is possible, but IIRC the battle took me ~40 minutes realtime. You also need quite some luck, as you need to reach level 4 before descending to UC, which is not always possible.
Pages: [1]