General > Play-By-Forum

Screw Netflix

<< < (3/3)

Malek Deneith:

--- Quote from: LuckyDee on February 28, 2017, 12:19 ---Well, like I said before, the main problem I have with D&D is that if you look up just about any thread on just about any forum on it, it's always "MY CHARACTER DEALS MORE DAMAGE THAN YOURS".
--- End quote ---
Might want to look into retroclones of earlier editions of D&D. Less options to min/max there, along with a bit different play ethos (currently reading a campaign journal of a campaign run with ACKS, a retroclone of Basic D&D... players end up running with a small army of henchlings and mercenaries and carving a literal domain for themselves :D)

--- Quote from: LuckyDee on February 28, 2017, 12:19 ---Screw that. That's not what RPG is about.
--- End quote ---
To be fair it kind of *is*, in a way. After all RPGs evolved from wargaming :P

Edit: Putting jokes aside though your problem probably arises from plenthora of character optimization threads/boards in D&D communities. To this I say: RPGs have numbers. People get attached to their numbers and like to see them grow. This is not wrong, it's kind of natural. Numbers themselves and excitement over them growing aren't the real problem, if anything the real problem is that newer (3e, 4e, possibly 5e though I don't know that one well enough to be sure), give players too much control over them, and too many options to tweak them in small ways (and also made more rigid rules frameworks). People have too much leeway in adjusting the numbers and hence character optimization threads happen. Older editions and their clones should have less of that problem since there is much, much less the player can do to pimp his character out without GM permitting it explicitly. (And before you say anything yes Hackmaster is a negative example here, but Hackmaster was intentionally built as crunchy and fiddly as it is, due to nature of what it represents)

LuckyDee:

--- Quote from: ZicherCZ on February 28, 2017, 15:00 ---Who won? ;)

--- End quote ---

Yes.

--- Quote from: Sereg on February 28, 2017, 21:06 ---By the way, which series are we talking about? You've got me interested.

--- End quote ---

Force Grey, Giant Hunters - there was a link cleverly hidden in the first post.

--- Quote from: Malek Deneith on February 28, 2017, 21:22 ---People get attached to their numbers and like to see them grow. This is not wrong, it's kind of natural. Numbers themselves and excitement over them growing aren't the real problem, if anything the real problem is that newer (3e, 4e, possibly 5e though I don't know that one well enough to be sure), give players too much control over them, and too many options to tweak them in small ways (and also made more rigid rules frameworks). People have too much leeway in adjusting the numbers and hence character optimization threads happen.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that pretty much covers it for me. And the system would definitely be a big factor here, but in the end it's what you, the player, make of it.

Malek Deneith:
Hey Dee, got something for your perusal: Chronicles of the Grim Fist. Obviously being a written campaign journal rather than video series it's a different beast from Force Grey series, but still it's worth a look - the write up of the campaign reads real well and the way their adventuring goes and scope it reaches is amazeballs in my opinion.

Was going to link this much, much earlier but I'm a procrastinating procrastinator that procrastinates, and also things that divert my attention are ma-oooooh, shiny.

*ahem* Anyway I see you're also starting a game of your own. Not my cup of tea what you're planning but all the same I wish you good luck... Game Master

LuckyDee:
Cheers! I'll have a better look at the Chronicles some time soon, it looks like they might be a lot of fun.

And as for the game: I really need to start testing my ideas and see how well they work out. There's still room for one more if you care to expand your horizons... That being said, I know your stance on this, and will feel only mildly insulted by your rejection.

Malek Deneith:
Thanks for the offer but I'd be a really ill fit for the sort of game you have in mind. I've been built for... simpler... things in mind ;)

Besides I am moving crawling myself up to some GMing of my own. Planning to see if I can coerce convince some of my friends into playing some old old school megadungeon crawl/exploration game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version