Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 01:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vid's DoomRL Sound Pack  (Read 9990 times)

Vid-szhite

• Lance Corporal
  • Pistols are my babies <3
    • View Profile
Vid's DoomRL Sound Pack
« on: February 20, 2017, 19:43 »

One day I got fed up with the fact that the sounds in this game never progress. Everything sounds the same! Plus, we only have like 8 songs! Drives me nuts. To hell with that! Over the years, I've shamelessly stolen gathered a bunch of sounds and music and packed them into this sound pack, which I've been greedily enjoying by myself for quite a while. I am now releasing to the internet so that you, too, may enjoy it!

UPDATE: Now works with Linux if you use Moonshine Fox's Linux files, included in the latest installation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13hprfwu0rko4dl/Vid%27s%20DoomRL%20Sound%20Pack.zip?dl=0

What this does:

* Every level up to level 25 now has its own music, properly matched to its place in Classic Doom. If any level in the game re-used a track, I put in a different remix so that you don't have to listen to the same music twice. Decided against putting more tracks in past level 25 so that Ao100 players can have the whole thing on shuffle past that. Credits are in the Readme, and most of the files themselves say who wrote them in the filename (if they don't, it's probably by Per Kristan Risvik because I swiped borrowed it from DoomMetalVol4). All the DoomRL original compositions were left alone because they're great.

* Every item in the game now has its own sounds. Basic items retain their old (HQ) firing sounds, and I even found a HQ version of the Plasma Rifle firing sound that wasn't there before, but everything else is new -- the Double/Super Shotgun now have their proper reload sound, and items without reload sounds now have unique reload sounds. (Unfortunately, I couldn't separate the Shotgun's firing sound from its pump sound without making them sound worse, so I just gave it a generic shell reload sound so that it doesn't sound like you're pumping twice). Uniques and Exotics all have completely new sounds.

* Many things with incorrect sounds (i.e. rocket launcher explosions) have had their sounds corrected. Cyberdemon's hoof now has the metal hoof sound in addition to its old sound. Anything with a footstep sound in the classic game now has it. Shamblers now have their Quake sounds, ripped straight from Quake. Wolfenstein/Spear of Destiny weapons and enemies now have their respective sounds. I had to splice a few sounds to get them to sound right, but it wasn't hard work.

* Elite/Nightmare Enemies and Bosses all have their own sounds (except the Arena Master, because I just didn't feel like giving him anything). Some are Doom 3 and Doom 64 sounds, but some, like the Nightmare Vile... are unique.

* [Forgot to Mention] All levers and switches in the game have sounds now.

This sound pack includes the default HQ sound pack, otherwise there would be crash bugs if you're not using it. Installation instructions are in the included Readme. Let me know if any problems arise, or if I missed anything. I only tested it on Windows 0.9.9.7, so if it doesn't work on your platform... oops?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:19 by Vid-szhite »
Ya Girl Juniper - DoomRL 0.9.9.7 Cyberdemon Major

Check out my DoomRL SoundPack: https://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,8031.0.html

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
Re: Vid's DoomRL Sound Pack
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 21:31 »

Very nice work. I almost never use add-ons or mods, but this one sounds like it will be worth checking out, even for me.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:29 »

Yay,
didn't have time to try it enough yet, but is sounds nice.

I'm a bit too much used to the standard sounds, so it felt a little Destabilizing for my first uses, but I'm sure I'll love it.

Thanks for sharing !
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:16 »

Several crashes on Linux due to a fair few case sensitive names being wrong (dsclaw64.wav instead of DSCLAW64.wav) and also no special level music seem to work on linux. I haven't figured out why yet, but I'm working on it. Other than that, I like the soundpack. The Anti-Freak Jackal was tons of fun using with this soundpack, useless as it was. ^^
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Vid-szhite

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 23:49 »

Several crashes on Linux due to a fair few case sensitive names being wrong (dsclaw64.wav instead of DSCLAW64.wav) and also no special level music seem to work on linux. I haven't figured out why yet, but I'm working on it. Other than that, I like the soundpack. The Anti-Freak Jackal was tons of fun using with this soundpack, useless as it was. ^^

If you get it all figured out, post the lua files so I can merge it with the mod and we'll have a nice debugged sound pack that works for all versions. I can't debug for Linux, so any bug squashing you manage to do will help a ton.

That special level music bug is a weird bug, because I didn't change any of the special level music except, like, one. The only one I changed was Phobos Lab. I included all the music that came with the game in its own folder, just so I could be sure nobody would be missing it, and all the music points to the new folder. Besides that, I didn't change the music for levels 1-8, and those use default files too, so if it's only the special levels missing music, I have no idea.

I'm glad you enjoyed it though! It's an initial release, so there's bound to be bumps that need smoothing out. I might consider swapping the Combat Knife sound with the Subtle Knife sound, so that the Wolf3D stab sound becomes a neat little easter egg rather than what you're forced to listen to if you use a knife build. Then again, I kinda like that sound.

Check out my DoomRL SoundPack: https://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,8031.0.html

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:19 »

I know. The special level bug MAY be a bug in DoomRL itself, or just a weird glitch on my version. I'll see if I can relate it to your mod or not. I'll get back to you.
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14 »

Here's the updated LUA filed. I had to resort to using the stock folders to fix some bugs, so in essence, as long as people have a solid stock installation, they don't need to download any additional stock files as they will be used just fine.

The only thing I can't get working is Menu Music and the Menu Cancel sound. Everything else works. I have NO idea why those two won't work. They're in the right spot and all, but I don't know why they won't work. It only works if I rename the file "doom_the_roguelike.mp3" to "drl.mp3" and change the LUAs accordingly. Then it'll play, but not with the stock name. Funnily enough, this will also allow the menu cancel sound to work, but I changed nothing with that. WTF?

Files.

Vid-szhite

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 05:11 »

That is fucking weird.

Thanks a ton, though! I'll put them in as separate LUAs for Linux, since I can't be sure everyone has the HQ sound pack for windows, and I want mod installation to be as painless as possible. This way, I can be sure everything works. I credited you in the readme.

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 05:22 »

That is fucking weird.

Thanks a ton, though! I'll put them in as separate LUAs for Linux, since I can't be sure everyone has the HQ sound pack for windows, and I want mod installation to be as painless as possible. This way, I can be sure everything works. I credited you in the readme.
I've been digging through this even more, and now it runs with the original filename. I'm starting to think it may just be a bug that is local and unique to me and not something related to your mod.

Some files simply will not load SOMETIMES. The only one I'm consistently able to reproduce is the track that's supposed to play in the Vaults. Which is also funny, because that's a stock song, not one added by your mod. So I'd say unless someone has exactly my problem (they'll likely have it with their stock game too) the linux mod is ready to go.

I could probably make a couple of LUAs with your HQ pack as well, so you can distribute them equally. The only crash bugs are related to case sensitive file names being wrong and one MP3 file that won't load (SCHWING.mp3). I had to convert that to .wav to make it stop crashing on trying to load it.

Vid-szhite

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 02:20 »

I don't remember that one being an mp3. I'll double check that one.

I fixed all the crashes on Windows long ago though, so imagine my confusion...

EDIT: WELLP I GUESS THAT'S AN MP3 LOL
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:56 by Vid-szhite »

Pages: [1]