Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|24%|AoB+AoOC|YASD] Longinus Diamond without throwing knives (with Video)  (Read 3423 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile

I had talked about doing this, and I seem to remember seeing it done and in fact doing it myself on my old profile, but I can't locate either my mortem, or the one that inspired it - all I could find was throwing knives or (surprise!) legit badges without AoOC.

The strategy works with AoB+AoOC, early invulnerability(I had two chained globes which was immensely helpful), reaching level 3 before entering UC, and having enough XP to reach 4 once inside. A tech mod for my chainsaw was also incredibly helpful. Build is Fin2 HR2, so I attack and move faster then AoD. Previous attempts got me killed as AoD has somewhat unpredictable(at least to someone who doesn't entirely understand energy) movement, and I had neither the T Mod nor the second HR level.

This takes a hell of a long time, but does eventually work - I made one mistake and had to heal, but other then that there were no issues with unpredictability causing damage.

I will link the video when it becomes available, but be advised it's pretty boring.
Edit: Video

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:41 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

(I'll watch the video when I get the chance)

I'm curious, you didn't mention it, but did you use the free berserk that comes from dropping and picking up your starting chainsaw?  (One time extra healing boost and berserk rampage!)  :D
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile

I didn't know that was a thing o.O that would have made some of these attempts easier, lol - at least getting started, if not the AoD fight(although I suppose it would be an extra medpack).
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, definitely a huge help!  :D

I mentioned in the other thread that I'm having computer troubles; it turns out my computer was unsalvageable,  :|  but fortunately, I was able to transfer the hard drive into my previous computer that had been behind my bed, so I have a functioning computer again!  :D  (Albeit a bit slower)

Anyway, I'm watching your video right now as I type this...  You mentioned a few times that you don't quite understand how the "energy" system works in DRL.  Personally, I don't think of it in terms of energy; (even though that's the term that the Wiki says) they're just moving at regular intervals of ingame time.  The reason the number of moves they get seems so wonky is that your move speed, attack speed, and rest speed are all different.

For example, let's say the AoD is moving every 0.75 seconds and you are moving at 0.74.  At first, it would look a lot like you're going at the same speed, except that every 75 moves, you get a double move on the AoD because you're very slightly faster.  And if you keep moving and don't do any other actions besides moving, you will get your double move at exactly every 75 moves exactly every single time.  But...  that gets mixed up if you do something that takes a different amount of time, like say you're chainsawing at 0.5 seconds; then every time you use the chainsaw, you jump to a different place in your 75 step countdown.  Same if you rest or use a medpack or open a door or any other activity that takes a different amount of time.  Sometimes you can get some really weird intervals that way that cause unpredictable enemy movement patterns, especially if you're playing as the scout, who gets a 10% bonus on all actions (including basic actions like picking up and dropping stuff) and therefore can get some seriously messed up time intervals.

Anyway, I hope that explanation makes sense?  Let me know if I should try to explain it better.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile

That does indeed clarify it - it seems, then, that predicting it exactly would be almost out of the question, so my fourth level and the mod I found were rather important.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Absolutely.  Any edge you can get, really; the AoD is fast!

And understanding how the "energy" system works also serves to explain other timing anomalies, like as a general example, if you're wearing green armour, you get a 5% slowdown which isn't noticeable at all 95% of the time, but 1 in 20 of your moves, your enemies get a double move on you...  and depending on the timing of other actions, it can be unpredictable when that double move will happen; hopefully it doesn't happen when you're in a vulnerable position!
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: [1]