Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 05:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|15%|YAVP] 8:07 Speedrun  (Read 4246 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
[N!|15%|YAVP] 8:07 Speedrun
« on: February 24, 2017, 22:48 »

Got tired of Gatekeeper Diamond attempts - had Anomaly once but screwed up Babel as I'm not used to playing the Cyberdemon fight tactically...

Anyway, I tried Speedrunner Angelic instead. I think I will have to play in ASCII mode(side question: does anyone remember how to turn that back on? been playing graphically for wayyyy too long now...) to get this to work, as I was being knocked around and otherwise delayed by animations the whole damn run, but I think this is pretty good for a start =P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why do I have a level of Ironman, you ask? Trying to play too quickly, missed a levelup screen.

No video as I wasn't streaming... thought I was finished for the night but decided to screw around a bit longer.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 22:58 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: [N!|15%|YAVP] 8:07 Speedrun
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 03:35 »

You may want to look through the config.lua file and change

Graphics = "TILES"

to "CONSOLE" for ASCII mode.
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 09:12 »

Thanks... of course, now I don't remember what anything *is*, lol. Oh well, I'll see if I can get used to it.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 19:15 »

You've been posting so many threads lately that I completely overlooked this one!  :D

8 minutes is a very impressive time!  (Especially for graphics version!)  :o  You might just be able to make Speedrunner Angelic, there!  :)

Also, another way to switch to console mode is to put "-console" in the command line.  (Saves you from editting the config.lua every time you want to switch; you can just put two shortcuts on your desktop; one for graphics and one for ASCII)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 21:59 »

Good to know - I'm not sure how much I like console, though. It has its own delays, albeit not as pronounced as with tiles, and often I can't quite see as well as I'd like... tiles line up in odd ways I'm not used to, and playing quickly in console leads to a lot more mistakes then graphical.

I'm also not sure about the four minute threshold - theoretically with good stair luck it should be possible, and with enough attempts I might eventually manage it, but I'll probably leave it alone for now until I can finish up some more Diamonds. Angelics are less of a priority when I can't rank up with them yet =P
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 23:43 »

I like console for the reason that I can see the entire map easily. I don't like console because it lacks clarity in some things. It's easy to miss an item on the floor for instance. Tiles have much higher clarity which allows my eyes to relax while I'm playing. It's really a tossup on which I like best.
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 12:24 »

And while we're on the subject of changes to the config.lua file, a few more suggestions:

• Put "Nathan" in the AlwaysName line so you don't have to type it in every time.
  • SkipIntro = true so you don't have to skip through it every time.
  • Have you changed the RunDelay, MaxRun, and MaxWait values?  Super useful for gift-dropping.  (And potentially helpful for speedruns)

I like console for the reason that I can see the entire map easily. I don't like console because it lacks clarity in some things. It's easy to miss an item on the floor for instance. Tiles have much higher clarity which allows my eyes to relax while I'm playing. It's really a tossup on which I like best.

Being able to see the whole map at once is the biggest advantage of console, imo, and is the biggest reason I have a hard time adjusting to graphics.  And the biggest advantage of graphics, I think, is the fact that a lot of items are more easily distinguishable.  Like if you have Intuition, console players won't be able to distinguish large healing globes from berserk packs, or if you happen to be berserk or invulnerable, you can't distinguish anything!  But graphics players can always tell them apart.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:43 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos
Pages: [1]