Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Hunter's Moon - Exploring Ashburn, MI [OOC]  (Read 42758 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Hunter's Moon - Exploring Ashburn, MI [OOC]
« on: March 12, 2017, 16:30 »

Since I have enough players to start going into detail - namely 1 - and am unsure of any further additions, I'm gonna go ahead and start working out the details. Should any other potential players find their curiosity aroused, there's no reason for you not to apply for a part in the story. Just make yourselves heard and we'll fit you in somehow.

Our story is set in the fictitious city of Ashburn, Michigan. The city lies at the northern shore of Lake Michigan, its center falling somewhere in between the real world towns of Gulliver and Gould City. The exact year is of little importance, but the proceedings will take place around the late 30's or early 40's of the last century. The details of both time and place will identify themselves in the IC thread as the need arises.

To start off, we'll need to work out the basics of the player character(s) that will be going through this adventure. In order to do so, there's a simple system of Traits, Talents and Tricks which allow for performing tests to see whether characters succeed or fail at certain tasks.

- Traits are the very core statistics that make up a character, like WoD's Attributes or D&D's Abilities.
- Talents are the broad areas of expertise characters are familiar with, like WoD's Abilities or D&D's Skills. They are also meant to cover all the standard tests players may be confronted with. Bear in mind that this is a work-in-progress thing, and that new insights may lead to a modified set of Talents to be implemented.
- Tricks are highly specialized skills which can be applied only to very specific situations, like WoD's Specialties.

To succeed at a Basic test, a player rolls aD6+b, where a is the level of their character's applicable Trait and b is the sum of the levels of their character's applicable Talents and Tricks. There may be additional bonuses and penalties to the roll depending on the circumstances. A more complex lock will be harder to pick, and a less sturdy door will be easier to force open, for example. If at least one die scores a 5 or more, the outcome of the test is a success. Any dice result of '1' before modification is always a failure, regardless of any modifiers that may be applied after rolling. The more 'natural 1s' you roll, the more disastrous the effects of failure will be.

Some efforts will be likely to be actively countered by other characters' efforts. These are Resisted tests, in which case both sides roll for an applicable Basic test. The higher scorer wins, and the difference between best results may affect the outcome of the situation.

Disclaimer: this applies to all standard tests and may or may not apply to combat as well. The game isn't intended to be combat oriented, and the rules for combat may be made up on the spot.

Assuming the basics are clear, I suggest the following modus operandi:

@thelaptop, you are currently the (only and) key player in this campaign. Due to the nature of the setting, I would like to suggest that your character is a private investigator, licensed by Ashburn PD to help out civilians who can't or wouldn't burden the law with their problems. This means you will be likely to be contracted to perform certain sensitive tasks and have the law at your back as both an offensive and defensive tool - as long as you don't overstep your boundaries.

As any other character, you have 1 point in each of the four Traits, being:

- Ruthless, applying to any situation where subtlety fears to tread. This goes for both physical as well as social interactions;
- Cunning, signifying the amount of raw brainpower you may apply;
- Nimble, expressing your dexterity and agility, both on a physical and a mental level, and;
- Slick, being your ability to influence others around you.

Please accept the job as PI or offer a counter-proposal. Either way, please select any one Trait as your forte and increase its score from 1 to 2. We will proceed once these decisions have been made.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 13:43 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Moon - Exploring Ashburn, MI [OOC]
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 23:45 »

I accept the job as PI.  Let's go with Slick -- I've not really tried to roleplay anyone with any sort of social interaction/charisma.
I computed, therefore I was.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 13:39 »

Excellent. Next up is Talents. These are predefined as well, and form the basis of all standard tests. They are listed below, followed by the letters of the Traits they may be applied to:

- Intimidation (R/C), used to cow others
- Persuasion (C/S), used to manipulate others with reason
- Seduction (S), used to manipulate others with lust
- Force (R/N), used to apply physical energy
- Stealth (C/N), used to remain unnoticed
- Perception (C), used to apply one's senses
- Reaction (C/N), used to respond to the unexpected
- Operation (R/C/N), used to manipulate mechanical processes
- Knowledge (C), used to determine one's level of understanding
- Athletics (R/N), used to put one's mortal coil into action

This is a list that has suffered many thoughts on my part, but that may well still be found lacking - one of the main reasons I want to start testing. As might be deduced from the previous post, having no points in any Talent does not mean it can't be tested against, just that you receive no bonus to your roll. Any bonus applies to every die rolled in any given test.

Please pick any 3 Talents and increase their score from 0 to 1.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:00 »

I choose:
  • Persuasion
  • Seduction
  • Knowledge

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 10:09 »

Excellent. That leaves us with Tricks. These are similar to Talents, except they are specific or specialized. Almost anything will do, so there's no set list. Examples include Pick Lock, Drive Car, any form of art (e.g. Music, Painting, Sculpting), any branch of science (e.g. Physics, Chemistry, History, Biology), Accounting, First Aid - I think you get the picture.

Please note that so far none of the entries include combat skills. They are currently off limits, mainly because I would like to keep this part of the system separated from the Talents and Tricks. Which gives me a devilish idea which I will get back to you on at a later stage.

For now, please choose 3 Tricks your character can make use of. They will also have a rating of 1, giving you a +1 on applicable tests which may or may not stack with bonuses resulting from Talents

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 00:11 »

I choose:
  • Lock picking
  • Music: Kazoo expert
  • Psychology

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 07:31 »

Alright, that's our quantification for now. Please round it all off with a short description of your character. We already know he's a licensed Ashburn PI, and you'll have all the basic amenities that come with the job: your own office, with or without secretary; a set of wheels; a number of contacts from various walks of life - we won't extensively be keeping track of inventory, so anything you might logically own is no problem. Just remember to check before you leave your office. Any less common items you would like to be yours - such as a kazoo - you will need to come up with before we take off.

Most of your description will be about your background and mindset of course. What kind of family did you grow up in? What made you choose this profession? On a scale of 9 to 10, how much of a curmudgeon are you? ;)

In order for you to be able to check your ideas against my expectations, here's the basic concept of that which is to come: soon you will be given your next case, for which you will be thankful - it hasn't been a very busy time lately, and your funds are slinking. You can and would do anything your wits tell you to in order to solve it, with one exception: you may at no point resort to violence. In game terms, this translates to 'thou shalt not initiate combat'. Any combat you enter into, you lose. To keep things fair, I will not have NPCs initiate combat with you either, unless it serves to advance the story or you're begging for it. Threatening with violence is fair game, but failing an Intimidation test when doing so may spell trouble.

There are several reasons for this choice, the most important being 1) this isn't meant to be a combat oriented game and 2) I haven't decided quite yet what combat system to apply. Additionally, I think this restriction will trigger your creativity. I'm confident you're up for this.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 17:47 »

I'm still here -- just got a bit busy in the office.  I'll augment this with my character background in around 12 hours.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 22:50 »

I'm still here

I never doubted that. No rush, this month is pretty crazy for me, so I don't mind taking it easy.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 06:22 »

"You want my life story?  Are you sure?  Alright then.

"I was born in Chicago.  Chicago's not an easy city to grow up in when you're poor.  You're not quite living in the slums, yet not quite living in the city.  I grew up there, many years ago.  Violence surrounded us, but somehow I've learnt to weasel my way out with words instead of blows -- my brothers always thought that I was a pansy for doing that.  Well, the joke's on them now -- they've all died from being involved in one fight too many.  One day, I got a little too cocky and found myself having to join one of the smaller street gangs to avoid having my thumbs cut off.  Luckily enough for me, their boss took a liking to me and found that I was good with my mouth.  He taught me a few other little tricks here and there, and often sent me out with his muscle to convince people to pay up.  Ma and pa didn't know about this... side line.  And they never will.

"Had to leave the city at some point when I hit twenty-five -- was getting too old for the small gang, and it was also clear that they were going to be mauled up by one of the larger organisations eventually.  Hitchhiked my way northwards away from Chicago and ended up moving through Michigan.  Became a runner of sorts for various lawful private investigators -- they all liked that I could get in, get information, and get out, all without getting hurt.  For a while, it was good.  But the money was starting to feel a bit light, so I decided when I was thirty that I had enough experience to really start up my own practice.

"That was nearly ten years ago.  Now I call Ashburn home, and run my own PI office there.  Legal and licensed, of course, complete with a secretary who helps with the reports and runs the office when I'm out on a case.  And calls the cops when the going gets heh 'out of scope' for a regular old PI.

"No, I've not gone back home to Chicago -- nothing there to go back to.  Parents died shortly after some mobsters went ahead to 'clean up' the neighbourhoods.  All I've brought back from there is this old kazoo.  Only enjoyment I allow myself.

"No, never been married.  Why is that even relevant?"

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36 »

Yar, that's the stuff. Does it have a name as well?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 06:20 »

"You mean you didn't get it in the beginning?

"It's Desmond.  You don't need my last name."

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:15 »

Exquisite. Unusual for a professional to go by his first name instead of his last, but exquisite nonetheless.

I will start making arrangements for unleashing Ashburn upon Mr. Desmond.

EDIT: we are likely to have company soonish.

Additionally, since Invisible Castle is down, I've found another roller at Rolz - check the Rolz Forum Bookmarklet in the bottom left corner. Bookmarking the thing doesn't work for me, but the tool itself is nice:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:48 by LuckyDee »

dragonfly

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 12:38 »

Hi from the company :)
I'm looking forward to trying this out. For now I'm pondering on what character I wish to play :)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 16:29 »

Welcome. And I happen to know you already have a couple of ideas lying around. Might as well share them here.
Pages: [1] 2  All