DoomRL > Discussion

Worst master trait

<< < (2/2)

Tormuse:
Well, I guess I can throw my opinions about Master Traits in here...  (In order from the Wiki)

Vampyre:  Easily my all-around favourite!  :D  The only trait that lets you charge into a violent fray and come out with more hitpoints than you went in with.  :)

Blademaster:  Probably my least favourite melee trait, but if you can get a melee weapon with a strong enough damage per hit, can get quite powerful.

Malicious Blades:  Very hard to get started, but becomes devastating once it gets going.

Bullet Dance:  Sucks.  Makes you use up bullets faster, without the chance of accuracy benefit, so more of them are wasted.

Gun Kata:  Isn't always terribly practical, but can be a lot of fun.  :)

Sharpshooter:  Like MB, hard to get started, but becomes devastating later.

Army of the Dead:  You have to be cautious about the lack of Finesse and Hellrunner, but you can do absolutely murderous amounts of damage to large monsters very quickly.

Shottyhead:  I used this one to get Masochist Diamond once; it needs lots and lots of shells, since everyone quickly gets pushed to the edges of your range.  Someone did a Shottyhead run with a Focused Double Shotgun which I absolutely need to try at some point.  :)

Fireangel:  Good for avoiding damage, I guess, but not terribly exciting.

Ammochain:  I know my opinion of this is not popular, but I don't like this trait.  I just can't get over the lack of Eagle Eye.  If I'm going to use rapid-fire weapons, I want to hit my targets!

Cateye:  Good for avoiding damage, though mostly in open areas.

Entrenchment:  I've never even tried using this.  It sounds crappy, like it's only useful if I'm standing in the open and letting things shoot at me, and why would I do that?

Survivalist:  Great way to tank your enemies, but overall, I'd much rather do more damage than take it.

Gunrunner:  Impractical, but awesome!  :D  I put it to good use in ArchAoRA, but can't really imagine using it otherwise.

Scavenger:  Most useful in Ao100, but can potentially get you a few extra mods in a regular game too.  Not super useful, but at least it doesn't block any basic traits.

So, overall, I guess it's a toss-up between Bullet Dance and Entrenchment...  For me, Entrenchment gets my vote as worst trait.

Faintly:
No way is entrenchment useless! The higher your resist already is the better it gets. 0 to 30% isn't great but 70 to 95% is, it cuts the damage by 6 times. And being a technician trait it's not that hard to get cerberus armor.

raekuul:
I almost never make it far enough to reach Master Traits, so I don't have an experienced opinion about them (I usually play Tech aiming for Scavenger), but I will say that a good combination of Blocker traits can keep up with a Master trait when played right (max SoG + max SoB + max EE blocks all the Pistol masteries but it's one hell of a build if you can get to hell). Scavenger is good in theory but because my survivability is an issue (combined with it still being reliant on RNG) I almost never get to make good use of it.

Faintly: The main problem I see with Entrenchment is that you have to be Chain-firing. Unless you have an ammo belt prepared to cover reload times, this is unsustainable since your Chain-fire ends once your clip empties - in other words, your Entrenchment is going to run out right when you need it most. If it lasted for duration plus one it would be almost too good since that would cover reload times - and short of modding your weapon or using an ammo belt you'll always have the full reload time since Entrenchment and Reloader are incompatible.

Sereg:
Well said, raekuul... The resistances are fantastic. That's not the issue. The issue is the (lack of) duration and the fact that you're vulnerable at the worst times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version