Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 11:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: DoomRL trainer  (Read 28190 times)

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL trainer
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 23:12 »

Games usually take about 3 hours anyway, so implementing a "tournament mode" that doesn't allow saving wouldn't be that big of a deal for players who wanted to compete. However, it is one more thing that Kornel would have to implement if he wanted a web scoreboard that wasn't easily cheatable.

Even with replays, people to watch replays, a serperate mode, and whatever else have you there would still be more ways to cheat the system if people really wanted to (And I'm sure someone would just to feel special). The only way to have a truly corruption-free high score list would be to host an entire DoomRL online server, and I doubt Kornel wishes to spend the time or resources for that, as cool as it would be.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 01:11 »

Most people here (that post mortems and speak of playing) do not save-scum.  I have died many, many times for this reason, but because the time investment is so small compared to most 'normal' games that keep persistent saves I don't mind at all.  I don't really think people would need an incentive to play tournament mode... having your high score up for all the world fans of DoomRL to see on the semi-main website would probably be enough for those who'd play it.  I agree that no matter how hard anyone tries there's no real way to prevent cheating; the important part is being able to identify cheaters and to make it difficult enough that the majority of players won't bother trying to cheat.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 11:22 »

I just wanted to say that, since DoomRL is a single player game, I do not care if other people cheat.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Baphomet

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 11:31 »

I'm trying to reach Kornel to discuss this issue...

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 18:19 »

This topic is the fifth result on Google for "DoomRL". :-(
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 19:04 by Zeb »

Baphomet

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 00:40 »

Talked with Kornel, hopefully it's clarified, and there is some progress going on...

Gamera

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 06:44 »

IDDQD should enable "God mode" meaning you have to be a god to survive it. IDKFA should make you drop all your ammo on the ground.

Baphomet

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 12:39 »

A version for 0.9.8.7 is available, but only after requesting it via personal message (or wait some days and visit the Dirty Little Helper)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 12:41 »

IDDQD should enable "God mode" meaning you have to be a god to survive it. IDKFA should make you drop all your ammo on the ground.
Nah. I've got better ones:

IDKFA will give you all the weapons in the game, but at the same time all your ammo will be destroyed, there'll be no ammo generated during the entire game ever again, and all weapons and ammo found from enemies will turn to dust when you try to pick them up.
IDDQD will give you 200% life, but the enemy will also do fifty times more damage from now on.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 13:02 »

Actually there was IDDQD and IDKFA in the game ;]

IDDQD gave you god mode ... for some time. When it weared off suddenly Hell Knights kept appearing out of nowhere :P.

IDKFA produced the following messages:
Suddenly you have the pistol!
Suddenly you have the shotgun!
Suddenly you have the double shotgun!
Suddenly you have the chaingun!
Suddenly you have the plasma rifle!
Suddenly you have the BFG!
Suddenly a TON of ammo falls on you!
You die...!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Baphomet

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 11:53 »

I've just updated the health freezer to work with 0.9.8.9.
Download
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 02:14 by Baphomet »

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 10:36 »

Thanks a lot. Lack of cheats sincerely hurt this game. I will never understand not having the option to cheat in a game. So many games are so badly hurt because of this, its incredible how much things I'd do with cheats. Best games are those I can play around and do whatever I want the most.

Same thing than "you can't save in nightmare mode". Pointless, lack of options that hurt more than it helps. My opinions of course, but since both world can exist as much as anything else I don't get the problem.

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 13:52 »

Quote from: jake250
Same thing than "you can't save in nightmare mode". Pointless, lack of options that hurt more than it helps. My opinions of course, but since both world can exist as much as anything else I don't get the problem.

There's no problem in you cheating, there's a problem in you calling a fair challenge pointless.

If you get a kick out of burning ants with a magnifying glass, go right ahead. My respect goes to the ant that rips off your arm for trying to burn it. ;)
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 17:18 »

Thanks a lot. Lack of cheats sincerely hurt this game. I will never understand not having the option to cheat in a game. So many games are so badly hurt because of this, its incredible how much things I'd do with cheats. Best games are those I can play around and do whatever I want the most.

I was so sure you were being sarcastic till I read that second paragraph.

I can't believe people really feel that way, to be honest. Like... Anyone here ever played Resident Evil 4? You know there's a 'one hit kill machine gun', the Chicago Typewriter, that you can unlock? I unlocked that, and my first thought after trying it out was 'What the hell was the point of that? Now I can run through the game and there'll be no challenge whatsoever, and every enemy will die from a spray of bullets in their general direction. Oh yay for me'.

Same applies to this. If you remove all the challenge from a game, what's the point of playing it? Admittedly, exceptions exist - who doesn't love turning on 'All Weapons' in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas every once in a while and seeing how many cops we can kill before we die, how big an explosion we can make, etc. But... DoomRL isn't one of those exceptions.

Baphomet

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 01:03 »

I play nearly every games with enabled cheats (at least god mode on), or in other words: I don't like playing without them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All