Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: DRL: Xtreme Arena  (Read 41563 times)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: DRL: Xtreme Arena
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 04:08 »

It's still happening; it didn't record my game from earlier today either.  :|  Is there a way to check the status of the internet connection of your score server?  Also, alternate theory:  Maybe it isn't recording the results of games where I die to bosses?  (Or some other issue with this latest version of the game?)

The server only saw on connection from you over the last 12 hours -- the game you scored 5973. I didn't see any other game attempts.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 12:33 »

Oh, hey!  There they are!  My display on the stats page suddenly went from saying "62 runs" to "65 runs"  I guess there really is a delay before they get put up there!  My 3rd place 17099 point game is up there now!  :D
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 13:59 »

Oh, hey!  There they are!  My display on the stats page suddenly went from saying "62 runs" to "65 runs"  I guess there really is a delay before they get put up there!  My 3rd place 17099 point game is up there now!  :D

Ah thats good! Just FYI, on my server you have to forcefully refresh the page every time you visit. It was meant as a debug tool for mywelf so I didnt make it user friendly.
[22/13/9/2/0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 18:53 »

If you guy's would like, I could reset all the game stats on the server...there was a 1 year gap between games
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 20:06 »

*Shrug*  I don't know...  It sort of feels like erasing a little piece of history, but then again, I don't know if there's anyone left who cares about those records, so I guess I'm largely indifferent?  (Though I still kind of want to see if I can beat Vandam's average)  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 20:08 »

Ah! I'll leave it be then.

Up until I stopped development in July 2013, I had been cleaning them regularly for each version. Good luck
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 23:08 »

Up until I stopped development in July 2013, I had been cleaning them regularly for each version. Good luck

In that case, I probably contaminated the high score list by playing all those games with the previous version.  (Oops!)  :P

...on my server you have to forcefully refresh the page every time you visit...

Ah, okay, that explains it, then.  And yes, refreshing the page fixes it.

In other news, I just played another winning game!  :D  Once again, I faced Kornel after round 5 of the Arena, so I didn't have enough time to get a super high score, but it was high enough to get number 2!  :)  Once again, I drew Gotcha! which made me kill the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind early; I have a feeling that if I am able to put off killing those two, I can make the game last longer and get an even higher score.  Funnily enough, I got credit for Mastermind's Brain, even though Cybie was the one doing the killing.  :)

On a completely unrelated note, I've been meaning to ask...  I notice that when I get a berserk pack, the red screen effect seems to be based on real time, rather than in-game time.  (ie if I hold still, the red screen will end even though no in-game time has passed)  Do you lose all the berserk bonuses when the screen returns to normal too?  Does this mean it's more efficient to charge ahead while you're berserk to get the most benefit?

EDIT:  Also, I'm pretty close to beating Vandam's average score!  :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 23:10 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 00:33 »

Pretty damn good run right there....

In other news, I just played another winning game!  :D  Once again, I faced Kornel after round 5 of the Arena, so I didn't have enough time to get a super high score, but it was high enough to get number 2!  :)  Once again, I drew Gotcha! which made me kill the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind early; I have a feeling that if I am able to put off killing those two, I can make the game last longer and get an even higher score.  Funnily enough, I got credit for Mastermind's Brain, even though Cybie was the one doing the killing.  :)

I'm pretty sure the ability to win early was intended...but probably not tested much.

On a completely unrelated note, I've been meaning to ask...  I notice that when I get a berserk pack, the red screen effect seems to be based on real time, rather than in-game time.  (ie if I hold still, the red screen will end even though no in-game time has passed)  Do you lose all the berserk bonuses when the screen returns to normal too?  Does this mean it's more efficient to charge ahead while you're berserk to get the most benefit?

EDIT:  Also, I'm pretty close to beating Vandam's average score!  :D

Yes, berserk is real-time because this is Xtreme! Arena! Intended
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 09:46 »

I have a question. How in the *HELL* are you supposed to do the Anomaly in XA? I just went in there invulnerable and still got smoked without getting a single kill...
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 16:45 »

I have a question. How in the *HELL* are you supposed to do the Anomaly in XA? I just went in there invulnerable and still got smoked without getting a single kill...

Tormuse will have to give out advice on that, but I'm pretty sure that Anomaly was covered in one or more of his gameplay videos... I personally haven't played in forever.

That said, XA by design goes really hard on players who try to be 100% completionists in terms of difficulty scaling. The game can be beaten pretty easily for casual players who duck out of the arena early and skip the special level challenges, etc. I think even the bosses like KK scale their health based on how many rounds of the arena the players have completed, etc.
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 19:56 »

Phobos Anomaly is freakin' tough.  I die there a lot too.  The only cover is a room that's so tiny that any shot that flies in there splashes and tosses you around, and those Demons are damn troublesome, especially when multiple of them gang up on you.

My advice?...  Try to eliminate as many of the Demons as you can first, if possible, using the Chaingun or Chainsaw (if you have Finesse and/or Brute) or Plasma Rifle. (if you're lucky enough to find one)  Nothing messes me up like trying to bear down on one of the Bruisers and having a Demon flank me.  Stay in the starting room if enemies threaten to overwhelm you, but don't get stuck in there because there's no room in there to avoid splash, so if you see an opportunity to move out where there's more space to maneuver, do so.  Try to isolate enemies to take them out one at a time and retreat to the start if too many start coming at you at once.

That's pretty much what I do; most of the time, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants on that level.  It's really easy for things to go wrong.  And yeah, you can see me pull it off twice in parts 1 and 4 of my videos; just click the link where it says "Phobos Anomaly" to jump to that part of the video.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 21:20 »

Thanks, that helps... I might go back to my old DRL policy of avoiding special levels like the plague, then, lol.

I have a new question, now. MaiZure, why would you build secret tunnels into the walls of the Chained Court, and then lure me in with a "Something Extremely Valuable" or whatever message? I am now long lost to where no pathway goes...
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 22:20 »

Thanks, that helps... I might go back to my old DRL policy of avoiding special levels like the plague, then, lol.

I have a new question, now. MaiZure, why would you build secret tunnels into the walls of the Chained Court, and then lure me in with a "Something Extremely Valuable" or whatever message? I am now long lost to where no pathway goes...

Wish I could remember exactly, but I do recall that there is a network of hidden tunnels but you're never stuck. I think the tunnels just twist and turn a lot, but there are some fixed goodies in the network at the bottom left. I don't think unique items drop in the tunnel though. One I know that unique items can be destroyed without you know about it.
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 01:13 »

Watch out, MaiZure, Sereg just beat your career average!  :D

Wish I could remember exactly, but I do recall that there is a network of hidden tunnels but you're never stuck. I think the tunnels just twist and turn a lot, but there are some fixed goodies in the network at the bottom left. I don't think unique items drop in the tunnel though. One I know that unique items can be destroyed without you know about it.

Wait...  what?  There's a secret passage?  O_o  I thought the "something valuable" message was referring to the supercharge/megasphere/armour in the doorway!
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2017, 01:35 »

Watch out, MaiZure, Sereg just beat your career average!  :D

Wait...  what?  There's a secret passage?  O_o  I thought the "something valuable" message was referring to the supercharge/megasphere/armour in the doorway!

It probably is...I haven't seen this level in years :)

I was thinking that if a unique is generated, I doubt it would be in the passage.
[22/13/9/2/0]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8