Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: DRL: Xtreme Arena  (Read 41636 times)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: DRL: Xtreme Arena
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 05:08 »

So I tried loading up a game of DRL:XA...and these default controls are terrible hahaha. I can't even figure out how to play my own game coherently. Hmmmm...BUG
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 12:44 »

Yeah, the controls are a little weird, but I've gotten used to them.  :)  The ability to redefine the keys would be a nice feature for future projects!  :D

EDIT:  As for the secret passage in CC, I found I was able to navigate it by running the Chainsaw as I walk around.  (It makes sparks fly, which makes it easy to figure out where I am and what direction I'm facing)  I didn't find anything, though, and there doesn't seem to be any point in going in there.  (Unless I'm missing something?)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:53 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2017, 17:23 »

Yeah, the controls are a little weird, but I've gotten used to them.  :)  The ability to redefine the keys would be a nice feature for future projects!  :D

You can go to the 3rd or 4th help screen (the one about the controls) and from there you can change controls by clicking the one you want to change and then clicking the one you want to replace it with. I was having more serious issues...the strafe key always being engaged for instance. Not intended.

EDIT:  As for the secret passage in CC, I found I was able to navigate it by running the Chainsaw as I walk around.  (It makes sparks fly, which makes it easy to figure out where I am and what direction I'm facing)  I didn't find anything, though, and there doesn't seem to be any point in going in there.  (Unless I'm missing something?)

I'm pretty sure there's something worthwhile down those tunnels. One thing that is worthwhile for newbies is that enemies don't go down the tunnel unless they're in trouble. So you can safely hide in there.
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2017, 17:56 »

Tried the chainsaw method and it works for navigating... still couldn't find anything cool though.

Speaking of chainsaws, dualwielding them appears to be broken - they don't do any damage or even have any animation. Dualgunner 3 is still badass though.

I have also found keys mysteriously engaged, or at least enemies moving freely while I'm not doing anything, but it's a rare occurence and I'm not sure what exactly causes it.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2017, 23:23 »

You can go to the 3rd or 4th help screen (the one about the controls) and from there you can change controls by clicking the one you want to change and then clicking the one you want to replace it with.

Ah, I see it.  It's the 2nd help screen.

I was having more serious issues...the strafe key always being engaged for instance. Not intended.

Never encountered that.  :|

I have also found keys mysteriously engaged, or at least enemies moving freely while I'm not doing anything, but it's a rare occurence and I'm not sure what exactly causes it.

I've only had this happen once.  (During Cyberdemon Complex; yikes!)  I don't know what I did to cause it, but it happened right at the beginning of the level.

In other news, I beat Vandam's career average!  :D  EDIT:  Today's lesson is that pettiness is a great motivator.  :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 00:15 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 00:46 »

In other news, I beat Vandam's career average!

Awesome job...that's a pretty amazing game average.

Have you played around with the other game modes? Domination and the Complex?
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2017, 01:59 »

I have...  but it just occurred to me that I haven't tried them in the new version!  :o  I'd better get on that.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2017, 08:50 »

I've played with them a bit,  but I'm more interested in the main game mode just now... still, it's awesome that they're available and apparently fully functional.

And Tormuse,  whether you believe in the legend of VANDAM  or not, it's still a damn impressive average - hell,  only a handful of my games are even close to that, much less above it - so congratulations.

Would be nice to see more of the DRL community join us in playing XA... It's damn near as much fun as the original,  and it's a great way to pass the time and keep our skills up while we wait for Jupiter Hell.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

scotherns

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 01:10 »

It really is a fantastic game, loving it so far.
[26|26|22|15|7|0]
Arch-Vile Marshal

32/43 Medals

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2017, 02:34 »

Have you played around with the other game modes? Domination and the Complex?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the difficulty of the Cyberdemon Complex has been ramped up significantly in this version.  I just played a game where, by the time I had killed 9 of them, Mark 5 Cybies were coming at me.  (Two at once!)  O_o  In the previous version, I once played a game where I killed 23 Cyberdemons and the Mark 5's were just starting to appear by then.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2017, 02:39 »

It really is a fantastic game, loving it so far.

Thanks! This was a project back from the summer of 2013. Good times!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the difficulty of the Cyberdemon Complex has been ramped up significantly in this version.  I just played a game where, by the time I had killed 9 of them, Mark 5 Cybies were coming at me.  (Two at once!)  O_o  In the previous version, I once played a game where I killed 23 Cyberdemons and the Mark 5's were just starting to appear by then.

Yeah during play testing way back in the day, I discovered that you could easily settle in to a lull where you'd dominate and the ending stats become meaningless because you could kill dozens of Cybies. I wanted every single kill to be meaningful. Not sure much testing happened at this difficult, except for VANDAM haha. He was something crazy.

Edit: Here is the scores for the complex:
http://www.maizure.org/drlxa/complexscores.php

Hey while we're at it...domination mode:
http://www.maizure.org/drlxa/domscores.php
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:47 by MaiZure »
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2017, 14:56 »

First win... can't remember how to post an image directly, so the build is attached for whatever that's worth. EEx2, SoBx2, Finx2, and a lucky SS to finish it off. The strategy was to burn KK down as quickly as possible, since in the past I've never managed to survive long enough to kill him(playing without stored medkits is a new thing to me =P). Fortunately, I got the exact build I was looking for, even playing more conservatively as I progressed through the arena battles(in the past I've tried to push too hard and nasty things spawn and smoke me), and the strategy was a success.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 16:37 »

Woo!  Congrats!  :D  And yeah, it's like a permanent Angel of Impatience; it takes some getting used to.  Looks like you pulled it off, though, and considering that this is the more difficult newer version, that's a pretty good achievement!  :)

*Awkward segué*

And I just re-achieved my record of 23 Cyberdemons in the Cyberdemon Complex!  :D  (Somehow, I didn't beat Longdong's score, though; not sure what they did differently; oh well)  I kind of wish I'd recorded it, because there were some pretty epic, harrowing battles which I would not have survived if not for Ironman 5 and TaN 2!  (And a lucky find of a megasphere that I picked up a split second before the conveyor belt dumped it in the lava)  There were a few times where I got stunlocked and rockets were throwing me around like a rag doll and I was amazed I survived, but eventually, I just got hit by one barrage too many.  :P  EDIT:  Ah, now that I look again, the Entrenchment was also probably a huge contributer to my survival.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 16:39 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 16:41 »

Nicely done... I barely got my one kill o.O

In other news, I've discovered the secret of the iron fist:
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 16:47 »

Whoa,

Congratz Sereg on the first win...and learning a new secret. There's still two possible medals that no one has managed to earn yet...

And congratz Tormuse for taking down that many Cybies in the complex. Yeah that place was meant for the past-paced brutal action. I originally wanted to tie the domination modes and the complex together at some point, but I didn't have any good ideas for balance. Good stuff!
[22/13/9/2/0]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8