Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: DRL: Xtreme Arena  (Read 41624 times)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: DRL: Xtreme Arena
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2017, 02:25 »

Oh, really?  Hmm...  I know I'm not the best at avoiding damage, but I would've thought I had done that at least once out of all those games I played.  (At least the Sun Medal)  Wait a minute...  *Looks up recording*  What about the UAC Gold Star medal that says "valiantly eliminated an entire enemy platoon without a scratch" or Order of the Wind, which says "demonstrated mastery at avoiding incoming damage."  I got both of those in my winning game that I posted...  (part 6)  although, come to think of it, that was in the previous version, so maybe it awarded medals differently?  :|

UAC Gold - 25 kills without damage -- contributes 2 points to final rank determination
UAC Silver - 10 kills without damage -- contributes 2 points to final rank determination
UAC Bronze - 5 kills without damage -- contributes 1 points to final rank determination
Shadow Cross - Complete 3 rounds without damage - contributes 5 points to final rank determination

Every 3 rank points you earn contributes to your final rank based on....ah hell here's the code routine (Build 150):

switch (total_rank_points / 3)   /* Note: truncated integer */
{
    case 0: return "Private"; break;
    case 1: return "Private First Class"; break;
    case 2: return "Lance Corporal"; break;
    case 3: return "Corporal"; break;
    case 4: return "Sergeant"; break;
    case 5: return "Staff Sergeant"; break;
    case 6: return "Gunnery Sergeant"; break;
    case 7: return "Master Sergeant"; break;
    case 8: return "First Sergeant"; break;
    case 9: return "Sergeant Major"; break;
    case 10: return "Command Sergeant Major"; break;
    case 11: return "Warrant Officer"; break;
    case 12: return "Chief Warrant Officer"; break;
    case 13: return "2nd Lt."; break;
    case 14: return "1st Lt."; break;
    case 15: return "Captain"; break;
    case 16: return "Major"; break;
    case 17: return "Major"; break;
    case 18: return "Lt. Colonel"; break;
    case 19: return "Lt. Colonel"; break;
    case 20: return "Colonel"; break;
    case 21: return "Colonel"; break;
    case 22: return "Br. General"; break;
    case 23: return "Br. General"; break;
    case 24: return "Major General"; break;
    case 25: return "Major General"; break;
    case 26: return "Lt. General"; break;
    case 27: return "Lt. General"; break;
    case 28: return "General"; break;
    case 29: return "General"; break;
    case 30: return "Field Marshal"; break;
    case 31: return "Field Marshal"; break;
    default: return "Chaoslord"; break;
}

And I'd like to echo what Sereg said here; thanks for participating in this thread!  :)  And yeah, it sucks that your company rules control you like that, though I think it's worth noting that, as you said earlier, this game is based on a game that received a cease and desist order...  so your company probably won't want to touch it.  ;)

Very true! Ever moreso is that there's no money here, so no money lost to them (nothing to recover in court).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:27 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2017, 05:08 »

Ah so rank is based on badges, not score... that explains a few things I wondered about...
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2017, 05:23 »

Just my luck.

Cybie killed. Spidey killed. Chained Court and Military base cleared. First three arenas cleared. All of that with a 100% killrate. Four monsters left in the last wave of the fourth arena, all tucked in the other half of the map. Me with 100% health and 136% armor. And then wham ... power outage.

Ah well. Maybe next time ...
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2017, 05:39 »

Ah so rank is based on badges, not score... that explains a few things I wondered about...

Beat KK as a private - I dare you!
Ok, beating KK awards you the Seal of the Forge which is 12 points...enough for Sergeant rank

EDIT: And yeah, shinies might get you more rank, but it's the score that puts you at the top of the list ;)

Just my luck.

Cybie killed. Spidey killed. Chained Court and Military base cleared. First three arenas cleared. All of that with a 100% killrate. Four monsters left in the last wave of the fourth arena, all tucked in the other half of the map. Me with 100% health and 136% armor. And then wham ... power outage.

Pretty sure that possibility is part of the XA RNG :P
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:51 by MaiZure »
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2017, 06:23 »

Damn Zicher, that's a hell of a game... and a hell of a way to lose it =X

Hmm,  Seal is just from beating the Epyon? Are you sure there aren't more conditions?  My victory game didn't earn me the seal,  and I just checked your stats page... it shows one victory (which was against KK, not mastermind or something)  but doesn't display Seal in my list of earned badges...
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2017, 06:28 »

Hmm,  Seal is just from beating the Epyon? Are you sure there aren't more conditions?  My victory game didn't earn me the seal,  and I just checked your stats page... it shows one victory (which was against KK, not mastermind or something)  but doesn't display Seal in my list of earned badges...

Oh hmm it's a bit more difficult than that:

switch (Game.cybie_dead + Game.spidey_dead + Game.kk_dead)
{
    case 1: Game.anvil = true;      rank_score+=3;  break;
    case 2: Game.hammer = true; rank_score+=6;  break;
    case 3: Game.seal = true;       rank_score+=12; break;
}

You get the seal for killing Epyon, but ONLY IF you've killed everyone else too... Kind of reinforces that 100% completion reward thing. You always get a reward from killing a major boss though...so if you've only killed Epyon, you still get the Anvil. But you can only get 1 of these "of the Forge" rewards per game

EDIT: I suppose that means you can win and only earn one promotion then hahaha.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:35 by MaiZure »
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2017, 06:36 »

I must have skipped Gotcha! that time...

Oh well,  good to know for next time.  Thanks.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13 »

Just my luck.

Oh no!  :o  Aw, crap, that sounds awful!  :|  I've had similar situations, so I feel your pain.  :|

UAC Gold - 25 kills without damage -- contributes 2 points to final rank determination
UAC Silver - 10 kills without damage -- contributes 2 points to final rank determination
UAC Bronze - 5 kills without damage -- contributes 1 points to final rank determination
Shadow Cross - Complete 3 rounds without damage - contributes 5 points to final rank determination

So, if I'm understanding this right, you earn the UAC Stars based on total Aced enemies throughout the whole run, whereas for the Sun and Shadow medals, you need a lot of consecutive kills?

(Still don't know what Order of the Wind is for)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2017, 11:25 »

Most Order of Foo medals are for special levels,  but that one is listed separately, and I would think you off all people would have gotten all of those by now anyway... maybe MaiZure can help us out there.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2017, 17:39 »

So, if I'm understanding this right, you earn the UAC Stars based on total Aced enemies throughout the whole run, whereas for the Sun and Shadow medals, you need a lot of consecutive kills?

(Still don't know what Order of the Wind is for)

Sun medal is for finishing an arena round without taking damage...doesn't matter how many guys there in there. (don't think it works for special levels though)

Shadow cross is for an entire level of the arena, all 3 rounds/waves

Order of the Wind is for 50 successful dodges in a game. Now that's a bit tricky. Basically whenever a projectile is created, it gets tagged if it's definitely going to hit you if you don't move. (so it's not true for bullets, fireballs, or pellets that are slightly off target to begin with). Well if that shot ends up not hiting you by the time it disappears, it gets counted as a dodge. Somehow you avoided a shot that was going to hit you if you didn't do anything.
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2017, 21:07 »

I got Survivor Ribbon!  :D

I did it in Chained Court.  I took Brute as my starting trait and used the berserk pack to run through the lava and kill the two Knights.  (That way, I didn't have to drain the lava)  Then, I killed all the formers, being careful to leave one injured Former Human as the last enemy.  Then, I very *very* carefully stepped into the lava over and over again until I was down to 2% health, then finished off the last guy.  I don't know if I needed to still be at 2% when I left the level, but I didn't want to take any chances, so I passed up a Supercharge on my way out.  (Which was a contributing factor to me not surviving the first round of the Arena)  :P

Unfortunately, all the attempts I made at this lowered my career average below Vandam again!  :o  (This included attempts where I carried out the above strategy right up until the end and then stayed in the lava a little too long or got shot by the last guy; *facepalm*)  I'll have to see if I can bring that up again.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2017, 21:12 »

Congratz...maybe?
Sometimes you gotta ask yourself if it's really worth it...

One thing is for sure, any time someone earns a survivor ribbon, there's probably a story behind it. Maybe it should only apply to the KK fight? Nah, I like it where it is.

Go get VANDAM!
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2017, 21:15 »

Congratz...maybe?
Sometimes you gotta ask yourself if it's really worth it...

Just for the story is worth it, I think.  :D

Also, one thing I meant to comment on earlier...

I could probably dust it off and get it building again for some updates. Honestly, I was running out of things to add and the bug list isn't very long. I'd be glad to entertain ideas for a proper release at some point

The "Onslaught" and "Conquest of Hell" challenges are still listed ingame as "upcoming game modes."  Sounds like you did have some ideas for additions.  Just sayin'  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 21:31 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2017, 21:21 »

Just for the story is worth it, I think.  :D

Also, one thing I meant to comment on earlier...

The "Onslaught" and "Conquest of Hell" challenges are still listed ingame as an "upcoming game modes."  Sounds like you did have some ideas for additions.  Just sayin'  :)

The conquest of hell was meant to be a special level gauntlet - no arena, just one special after the next. Unlocks after you've actually finished each level on domination. Not really a fully developed idea, but I toyed with branching between levels, etc. Never got beyond the mental exercise.

Onslaught was supposed to be just one never-ending arena level, round after round and see how far you get. The gimmick here was that only formerly successful marines in the arena could enter this mode. In the main game room, I had the idea that you could "Store" up to 5 past surviving heroes as statues on the side somewhere. Walk up to it and become him to enter the mode?

Just the ideas...

EDIT: The idea that you could revisit past heros had a lot of appeal. But you couldn't 'grow' them any more than their original arena run.

EDIT2: I probably shouldn't mention that I had a local network Versus arena working with a buddy :P.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 21:30 by MaiZure »
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2017, 19:56 »

Sun medal is for finishing an arena round without taking damage...doesn't matter how many guys there in there.

That can't be right, then.  I just played a couple games where I completed Arena rounds without damage and I still haven't achieved it.  I see that some other people achieved it, so I assume it's possible, but there must be some other condition.

Onslaught was supposed to be just one never-ending arena level, round after round and see how far you get. The gimmick here was that only formerly successful marines in the arena could enter this mode. In the main game room, I had the idea that you could "Store" up to 5 past surviving heroes as statues on the side somewhere. Walk up to it and become him to enter the mode?

It's too bad it never got finished, then, because that sounds like a really cool idea!  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8