Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: DRL: Xtreme Arena  (Read 41581 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
DRL: Xtreme Arena
« on: June 25, 2017, 00:28 »

Hi everyone!  I'm not sure where to put this thread, so if a moderator wants to move it, that's okay.  :)

Anyway, a while back, (about four years ago?) Maizure created a Beta version of a game based on DRL called Xtreme Arena.  Maizure invited me to try it out back then, but due to technical difficulties, it remained untouched on my hard drive until recently...  But now that I've tried it out, I must say that it's a pretty awesome creation that I can tell a lot of work went into, so I wanted to share some videos of me playing through it.  (And winning for the first time!)  :D  Here they are, about an hour each:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

It ended with a crash which I guess is par for the course when you're playing a Beta game, but I think it's still a pretty good showcase of a great DRL spin-off.  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

singalen

• Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: DRL: Xtreme Arena
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 01:22 »

Doom, Rogue-and-Superhot-like. Sounds fun!
Any plans to publish it?

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:23 »

You killed KK! The game rightfully should crash because it ceases to exist immediately! (haha)

Nah you did so well that you unlocked the KK boss fight, which never got much play testing because no one has really done it (or at least didn't report the crash to me). Looks like a bug in KK's unique flame thrower weapon (pointer dereference after being freed). I'll see if I can dig up the sources and patch it. Then give it out here for all to play.

Thanks a lot for the video! I never expected a single play through to last 3 hours and after all that, it's a shame we don't get to see the victory stats.

Good times!

EDIT:
Doom, Rogue-and-Superhot-like. Sounds fun!
Any plans to publish it?

"Publish" is such a strong word for a product derived from another product that's received an official cease & desist noticed from the original creators :P
Nah the project is dead - abandonware
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:32 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 03:26 »

You killed KK! The game rightfully should crash because it ceases to exist immediately! (haha)

Ah, so I was right; that *was* Kornel!  :D

Nah you did so well that you unlocked the KK boss fight, which never got much play testing because no one has really done it (or at least didn't report the crash to me). Looks like a bug in KK's unique flame thrower weapon (pointer dereference after being freed). I'll see if I can dig up the sources and patch it. Then give it out here for all to play.

Maybe I can try to win again, and this time just back away from KK when delivering the killing blow so that his flamethrower isn't active.  :)  (Of course, if you want to post a patched version here, that's welcome too)  ;)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 03:38 »

Those plans would probably work...or avoiding conquerer..I think then you just get the Spidey fight and then the victory screen
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 20:11 »

Well, I didn't hear from MaiZure, so I don't know if he ever ended up patching this, but I decided to try again to win and this time I carefully avoided killing KK while he had his flamethrower out and I got the proper victory screen.  :D  Here are some videos, which I labeled parts 4-6 just to distinguish them from my other three videos of this game:

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

There was an unfortunate crash of my recording software part-way through the second video.  At first, I thought the video was completely lost, but it did generate a video file...  It's just corrupted in a weird way that my copy of Microsoft Media Player doesn't recognize it, but other players seem to play it just fine.  I uploaded it all the same, so hopefully it's still viewable.  (I get an error message when I try to view it online, though, saying that my "browser doesn't recognize any of the video formats available")  I'm curious to know if anyone else is able to view it.  Does anyone else get errors when they click on "Part 5?"

EDIT:  Okay, actually, it seems that I get the same error for all three of the videos?  O_o  That's weird; I'm using the same software to record as always and all of my previously recorded videos are still viewable.  I'm not sure what the problem is; anyone else having any issues?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 20:31 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 21:47 »

Whoa that's an epic win there! I guess the game is too easy after all..hmmm...

I love the dig at thelaptop in the random newspaper article at the end. I forgot that feature was in there.

As for me, the videos seem to be playing just fine on this side. Might have been my terrible programming skill that crashes your camera app haha.

Thanks for taking the time to promote it!
[22/13/9/2/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 03:04 »

Whoa that's an epic win there! I guess the game is too easy after all..hmmm...

Can we pretty pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry not consider Tormuse's skill level as the new standard? Thank you.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 05:57 »

Can we pretty pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry not consider Tormuse's skill level as the new standard? Thank you.

It seems like 100% of the people who play that game dominate the hell out of it. Too easy, I say!
[22/13/9/2/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 06:01 »

It seems like 100% of the people who play that game dominate the hell out of it. Too easy, I say!

Hey, I could really suck big time at this if I wanted to!

Valid point though.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 07:10 »

I love the dig at thelaptop in the random newspaper article at the end. I forgot that feature was in there.

These days, I can't really nerf anything any more.  lol
I computed, therefore I was.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30 »

I guess the game is too easy after all..hmmm...

Maybe I'm making it look easy, but it took several dozen tries for me to get up to this skill level; it's still plenty challenging.  :)

Hahaha, this is why difficulty settings exist.  Something to consider for future projects, perhaps, MaiZure?  :D

Erm...  This seems to be a contradiction; didn't you say that I'm the only one to do this well?  Or are you saying that I am personally 100% of the people playing the game?  :)

As for me, the videos seem to be playing just fine on this side.

Yeah, me too!  It suddenly started working!  :o  Weird...  Computers are such mysterious things.

Might have been my terrible programming skill that crashes your camera app haha.

Aww, hey, don't be too hard on yourself; you made a very well-polished product that's quite enjoyable and with very few bugs in it.  It's something to be proud of.  :)

Thanks for taking the time to promote it!

No problem; it was fun!  :D  What do you think of posting a link so that other people can enjoy it too?  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 01:33 »

It would be nice to give the game another shot after a few years - but for all the hell I can't find the post where DRL Xtreme Arena was available for download. Would anyone point to where I could download it?
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 06:20 »

It would be nice to give the game another shot after a few years - but for all the hell I can't find the post where DRL Xtreme Arena was available for download. Would anyone point to where I could download it?

Seems to me that this might be the latest version:
http://www.maizure.org/DRL_XA-0.8.1.150.exe

Tormuse...can you verify that .150 is the most recent build? (Also, thanks for the kind words!)

While I'm at it, I may as well share the web-facing recent stats page:
http://www.maizure.org/drlxa/gamestats.php
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 10:52 »

Tormuse...can you verify that .150 is the most recent build? (Also, thanks for the kind words!)

I'm not sure where it says the version, but the corner of the in-game menu screen says "Beta Build 132."  Am I reading your post correctly that we're up to version 150?  Am I 18 versions behind?  O_o
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8