Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: DRL: Xtreme Arena  (Read 41603 times)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: DRL: Xtreme Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 16:21 »

I'm not sure where it says the version, but the corner of the in-game menu screen says "Beta Build 132."  Am I reading your post correctly that we're up to version 150?  Am I 18 versions behind?  O_o

Maybe that bug was fixed after all :P

Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 10:30 »

Well, well, well, it seems there are three more special levels in this version!  (Military Base, Phobos Lab, and Deimos Lab)  Some graphical changes too.  (I might need to make another recording!)  :P

Also, I see from the stats page that I'm the first person to reach Field Marshal rank!  :D  And...  there's another rank above that?  :o  How do you reach that?  And I'm surprised to see that I'm the only one who got "Order of the Tomb;" does that mean no one has ever conquered The Mortuary before me?  Cool!  :D

There are lots of other medals I don't recognize:  Peace Pin, UAC Achievement Medal, Shadow Cross...  Sunrise Iron Fist?  Is that what I think it is?  (Did someone actually do this with fists only?)  O_o  I would hazard a guess that the Marksman Badge is for playing with only pistols; that might be a more achieveable goal as long as I get Dualgunner early on.  :)  Oh, wait, I just discovered that you get more information about players if you hover over the names in the Career Average section and it seems I already have the Marksman Badge?  Do you get it for just getting a certain number of pistol kills or something?  Is there a list somewhere of what each badge is for?  Or would you rather keep that a secret?

In any case, now that this is posted publicly, it would be pretty cool to see some more names on the list, especially the Domination and Cyberdemon Complex lists:

http://www.maizure.org/drlxa/domscores.php

http://www.maizure.org/drlxa/complexscores.php

(Other game modes that I didn't include in my video)  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 17:16 »

Is there a stable, relatively bug-free version available? I mightbe interested...
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 17:48 »

The one that MaiZure just posted seems to work well.  Here it is again:

http://www.maizure.org/DRL_XA-0.8.1.150.exe

EDIT:  I notice that four other people have played so far since it was posted.  Awesome!  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 20:11 »

Overall, I never had many reports of crashes during gameplay....it either worked on your system right away, or it didnt work at all.
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 00:37 »

Yeah, honestly, the thing with Kornel's flamethrower was the only crash I had while playing.  Just try not to completely dominate everything and you'll be fine.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 08:24 »

Just try not to completely dominate everything and you'll be fine.  :)

I should experience no issues whatsoever,  then...
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 08:22 »

Huh, this is kinda fun. I wish I knew what my medals were though - is there a way to get more information from the mortem screen?(Edit: So there is... hover the mouse.)

One thing I noticed... on the game statistics page, VANDAM has a higher career average then Tormuse(o_O)... he only played 6 games, to be sure, but... perhaps this lends some legitimacy to his claims relating to normal DRL?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:06 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 12:34 »

One thing I noticed... on the game statistics page, VANDAM has a higher career average then Tormuse(o_O)... he only played 6 games, to be sure, but... perhaps this lends some legitimacy to his claims relating to normal DRL?

Perhaps...  It's hard to say because that list contains all games across all versions of the game and I'm finding there's a sizeable leap in difficulty between versions.  (For example, I'm finding the shotgun to be *a lot* less reliable in this version; it seems to be affected by my accuracy rating and I can't count on it to hit my enemies even if they're right in front of me!)  :|  Also, I think it's worth noting that 3000 points isn't terribly hard to get, (your last game came pretty close!) and my "career average" includes all my short-lived attempts at a melee build.

I am sure that Vandam is an excellent player.  However, I am also still fairly sure that Vandam's accomplishments are exaggerated.

EDIT:  And thus motivated by spite, I decided to try to raise my average to see if I can get above Vandam's.  :D  One of my better games, I got number 3 on the high scores list!  :D

Some interesting things:  In this version, the order of the special levels seems to be randomized; I got Gotcha! as the third special level, Spider's Lair as the fourth, and Hell's Armory as the fifth.  Interestingly, it seems that even though I skipped facing the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind the normal way, it counted them as defeated (with overlapping text on the mortem screen) because I got them in Gotcha!  This somehow caused me to be facing Kornel after level 5!  O_o  I was not prepared to face him and was barely able to lightly wound him before he finished me off.

EDIT2:  That's odd...  It's not displaying my latest game on the stats page!  Is there a delay before it shows up or something?  :|
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 15:54 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

scotherns

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 02:25 »

Is there any way to change the resolution? The bottom of the screen is cut off on my laptop (not so much that it makes it unplayable, just a bit annoying).
[26|26|22|15|7|0]
Arch-Vile Marshal

32/43 Medals

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 15:32 »

Is there any way to change the resolution? The bottom of the screen is cut off on my laptop (not so much that it makes it unplayable, just a bit annoying).

I don't believe so.

EDIT2:  That's odd...  It's not displaying my latest game on the stats page!  Is there a delay before it shows up or something?  :|

There may have been an issue with the Internet xonnection to my score server at that moment. I remember some issue when thst happened long ago.
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 21:20 »

Can you change the native resolution of your laptop?

EDIT:  And on an unrelated note, awww, I just discovered that Gun Kata doesn't work with the Blaster!  And neither does Dualgunner!  :(  Bug or feature?  (Either way, I'm disappointed; that would've been an epic game!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 22:00 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 22:23 »

From my limited experimentation with DG, it looks like each level works with very specific weapons, so blaster probably doesn't make the list until a very high level, if at all.

Speaking of dual gunner, I'm liking the twists on the DRL traits. Really cool game you've got here, Maizure. Well done.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 22:46 »

From my limited experimentation with DG, it looks like each level works with very specific weapons, so blaster probably doesn't make the list until a very high level, if at all.

I have an old stash of source code (b115) in front of me and it looks like:

DG1 is pistols
DG2 is shotguns and chainguns
DG3 is everything else? even rockets? damn

Sadly, I've lost me design document to time so I don't know everything that was tweaked

Speaking of dual gunner, I'm liking the twists on the DRL traits. Really cool game you've got here, Maizure. Well done.

Thanks for the kind words! I've had a ton of positive feedback on the game overall. Glad people had fun with it!
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 03:21 »

There may have been an issue with the Internet xonnection to my score server at that moment. I remember some issue when thst happened long ago.

It's still happening; it didn't record my game from earlier today either.  :|  Is there a way to check the status of the internet connection of your score server?  Also, alternate theory:  Maybe it isn't recording the results of games where I die to bosses?  (Or some other issue with this latest version of the game?)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8