Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: DRL: Xtreme Arena  (Read 41548 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
Re: DRL: Xtreme Arena
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2017, 21:48 »

O_o I seem to get the Sun Medal fairly consistently - I'm almost shocked you haven't managed it yet. In my experience, and according to my AAR newspaper, the conditions he stated are exactly what is required.

Unless there's some bug(if playerName != "Tormuse"), I'm not sure what the problem might be...

I also like the idea of the additional game modes... I certainly hope you get around to finishing XA someday, MaiZure.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2017, 22:47 »

Unless there's some bug(if playerName != "Tormuse"), I'm not sure what the problem might be...

That would be a feature :P

I also like the idea of the additional game modes... I certainly hope you get around to finishing XA someday, MaiZure.

I may just do that. It was a fun project, and those extra modes did sound good on paper.

Thanks for playing and giving feedback!
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2017, 00:20 »

I just had a thought...  Could it be counting the health decay from being above 100% health as "damage?"  I think in both of those above-mentioned games of mine, I had a supercharge.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2017, 01:55 »

I just had a thought...  Could it be counting the health decay from being above 100% health as "damage?"  I think in both of those above-mentioned games of mine, I had a supercharge.

I think you might be right...I recall that was an issue, but I'm not sure if I handled it
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2017, 21:52 »

If only there was a badge for killing all but one enemies without damage and then taking a point of damage from the last guy on the level.  I'd have about fifty of those!  :P
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2017, 20:06 »

(My above post is exaggerating, but not by much)  :P

Seriously, though, I think there's something funny going on with the Sun Medal or maybe I'm still misunderstanding the requirements, because I just played a game where I successfully cleared two rounds of the Arena without damage, (Aced every enemy and this time, no supercharge!  No health bonuses either; just stayed at 100% health the whole time) and I didn't get the medal.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  :|

In other news, I encountered Phobos Lab for the first time and, while I know it's a bit late for bug reports, it looks like it lacked playtesting, because the enemies have a lot of difficulty navigating the narrow corridors and avoiding stepping in lava.  (Seriously, the first half of the level was constant monster pain sounds until a whole bunch of them died in the lava)

And just so this post isn't all negative, I just lucked into getting Vampyre and Blademaster in the same game!  It was as awesome as it sounds.  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2017, 20:35 »

Seriously, though, I think there's something funny going on with the Sun Medal or maybe I'm still misunderstanding the requirements, because I just played a game where I successfully cleared two rounds of the Arena without damage, (Aced every enemy and this time, no supercharge!  No health bonuses either; just stayed at 100% health the whole time) and I didn't get the medal.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  :|

In other news, I encountered Phobos Lab for the first time and, while I know it's a bit late for bug reports, it looks like it lacked playtesting, because the enemies have a lot of difficulty navigating the narrow corridors and avoiding stepping in lava.  (Seriously, the first half of the level was constant monster pain sounds until a whole bunch of them died in the lava)

Where were you 4 years ago???

I recall those issues with Phobos lab...I remember I would just start the level and wait about 30 seconds for things to normalize. I think I didn't fix it because I actually thought it would be close to impossible otherwise...I remember that being a damn hard level despite the bugs
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2017, 00:50 »

I just played a mostly successful game...  as in I got to Kornel, but then died...  :P  I must say this version of the game is considerably harder than the one I played in my videos!  :|

Anyway, I seem to have misunderstood how the boss system works.  It seems that you face KK every time you complete level 5.  I thought that if you haven't killed the Cyberdemon or Spider Mastermind by the time you complete Arena level 5, you could keep the game going longer.  Like you would face Cybie after level 5, then the MM after some later level, and then finally KK after some other later level.  Alternatively, I thought, at the very least, you needed to have Conqueror for KK to appear.  This run disproves both of these; after level 5, I had no choice but move on to the boss stage and face KK.

The special level before level 3 was Gotcha! (the level with Cybie and MM) and I deliberately skipped it, running right past both of them, so I wouldn't get credit for killing them, thinking that this would help the game go on longer and get me a higher score.  (It shows in the picture below that that's the one level I didn't complete)

I guess this means that my top score is truly unbeatable!  :D  (Since I got it in the previous version with more levels; oops!)

EDIT:  Oh yeah, what if I actually include those screenshots?  :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 00:52 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2017, 03:06 »

I know I was thinking towards the end of development that the game was too long to truly be Xtreme, but I didn't recall that I had permanently cut it down to 5 rounds. Although, shorter and tougher sounds good to me! Should I wipe all scores before version 150?

[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2017, 03:14 »

Should I wipe all scores before version 150?

*Shrug*  I'm indifferent.  I don't know what anyone else thinks.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2017, 03:28 »

Done!

Your career average just went through the roof :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:33 by MaiZure »
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2017, 03:53 »

Wow...  That is a big difference!  :o

Does this mean the higher ranks are impossible now?  (Is there some secret to getting Chaoslord rank?)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2017, 04:02 »

All the code I quoted about ranks a few pages back was from this version...and ranks aren't tied to score at all although they are highly correlated.

My guess is that it IS possible, but it would require planning and knowledge of all possible ways to gain rank points

EDIT: For instance, had you killed KK and gotten that terrible terrible survivor ribbon, you'd be 3 ranks higher, which would have been the highest so far in this version. Also, did you get the Cybie Head or Spidey brain? Those are both worth an extra rank in terms of medal score. Shadow Cross is 1 point shy of 2 ranks. Those could have put you all to Chaoslord
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:06 by MaiZure »
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2017, 04:09 »

Hmm...  Sounds like my biggest barrier to advancing ranks is my inability to avoid damage, then.  :P  I'll have to work on that.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2017, 04:15 »

Yeah there's really two score systems in play here, one of them based on getting through the game (Score) and the other based on fringe heroics/achievements (Rank/Medals). It makes for some oddball possibilities like...A huge score with low rank, or vice-versa. But like I said, a lot of it is guesswork without knowing the system. The game wasn't popular enough to get people really trying to break it down like that

EDIT: It's actually not too different than DoomRL, except no one ever looks at the "score" part of the mortem...only medals :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:19 by MaiZure »
[22/13/9/2/0]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8