Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 02:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [E|23|92%] My best run so far...any tips?  (Read 2318 times)

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
[E|23|92%] My best run so far...any tips?
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:51 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.8.5) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Johosephat, level 8 Former Human Corporal, killed by a arch-vile
 on level 23 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 113200 turns and scored 18182 points.
 He was too young to die!

He killed 353 out of 384 hellspawn. (92%)
 He held his right to remain violent.

He stormed the Chained Court.
 He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
 He fought on Hell's Arena.
 He became a champion of Hell's Arena!
 He witnessed the City of Skulls.
 He faced The Wall.
 He wandered into the Unholy Cathedral.
 He was caught in the Mortuary!
 And he managed to clear it!

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -1/80   Experience 29643/8
  ToHit +3  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman        (Level 3)
    Hellrunner     (Level 1)
    Tough as nails (Level 3)
    Eagle Eye      (Level 1)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   red armor [4/4] (95%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   advanced rocket launcher (4d5) [0/1]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   plasteel boots [8/8] (51%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   BFG 9000 (8d8) [72/100]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] red armor [4/4] (100%)
    [b] red armor [4/4] (100%)
    [c] red armor [4/4] (100%)
    [d] rocket launcher (4d4) [1/1]
    [e] chaingun (1d6)x5 [35/50]
    [f] advanced plasma rifle (1d9)x8 [0/40]
    [g] plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [0/40]
    [h] plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [0/40]
    [i] plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [0/40]
    [j] plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [0/40]
    [k] 10mm ammo (x56)
    [l] rocket (x5)

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

28 former humans
    18 former sergeants
    7 former captains
    15 imps
    43 demons
    73 lost souls
    30 cacodemons
    8 barons of hell
    20 hell knights
    16 arachnotrons
    6 former commandos
    5 pain elementals
    4 arch-viles

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
 On level 2 he battled through the complex.
 Afterwards he fought on Hell's Arena.
 On level 3 he battled through the complex.
 On level 4 he battled through the complex.
 On level 5 he battled through the complex.
 He then stormed the Chained Court.
 On level 6 he found hellish caves.
 On level 7 he battled through the complex.
 On level 8 he found a hellish city.
 On level 9 he battled through the complex.
 On level 10 he found hellish caves.
 Afterwards he witnessed the Wall.
 On level 11 he battled through the complex.
 On level 12 he battled through the complex.
 On level 13 he found a hellish city.
 He then ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
 On level 14 he found a hellish city.
 On level 15 he battled through the complex.
 Then he found the City of Skulls.
 On level 16 he found hellish caves.
 Then he invaded the Unholy Cathedral.
 On level 17 he found hellish caves.
 On level 18 he found hellish caves.
 On level 19 he battled through the complex.
 On level 20 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 21 he found a hellish city.
 On level 22 he found hellish caves.
 He was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
 On level 23 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 There he finally was killed by a arch-vile.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 10 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 10 of those were killed.

Someone in another topic said that for newer players defensive skills were the best chance for survival. This seems to be true, as previously I had always taken offensive skill sets and had never made it past level 12. My skill sequence was IM-IM-IM-TaN-EE-TaN-TaN-HR. I took the level of Eagle Eye because I was at The Wall when I hit level 5 and was getting frustrated with only getting like 70% accuracy with my rocket launcher. The EE worked wonders for me, and I have no doubt that it led to much conservation of ammo and earlier taking out of enemies in the later levels. The Hellrunner didn't seem to make a very big difference, I'd probably choose a different skill in the future.

Level 22 and 23 were fucking intense. On level 22, I entered the level into swarm of 10 Arachnotrons and burnt 3 large medkits moving 7 spaces to the Mortuary stairs. If the stairs hadn't been right there I would have been wasted almost immediatly. On level 23 I was met with a group of 4 archviles that shredded my angelic armor in like 4 turns. I fought valiently and dumped the remainder of my power cells into the BFG to try and take them out, but it was to no avail. Are there any tips on surviving these two situations in the future?

In comparison, the Mortuary was a cakewalk-two rounds from my BFG, mopped up quickly with the rocket launcher, and collected the loot.

A few other notes- I encounted the famed Pain Elemental melee attack- it did about 30% damage with red armor on at char level 6. The reason I had so many plasma rifles was that I was planning on overclocking them and wasting the cyberdemon. As it was I ended up unloading them and using the ammo in the BFG. I wandering into the unholy Cathedral, but upon realizing guns didn't work I quickly wandered back out. I didn't encounter any enemies.

I didn't notice it aside from the power cells while ingame (I had arch-viles to be worrying about) but  looking at the post-mortem I was just about out of every reasource possible. Are there any good tips on conserving resources in the future?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this and help me out! ^_^

MedO

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: [E|23|92%] My best run so far...any tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:27 »

I think four Arch-Viles in one level is quite rare in E, I never saw so many together myself. If I did, I would probably run for it, if I had a chance. I always try to keep one or two phase devices ready for situations like this. You might want to try the Intuition path if you become frustrated (EE->EE->Int->Int->Int), it gave me my only two standard wins so far.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 14:46 »

1. You only need (at most) 3 weapons if you're playing properly.  Unless you are carrying extra BFGs (the only weapon that holds more ammo than the normal ammo stack does) or overloaded plasma rifles, there's absolutely no reason to have any more weapons than that taking up space in inventory.  For example, I'm not really sure the time saved by getting that extra rocket launcher out of your backpack instead of just reloading was worth the loss of an extra inventory slot.

2. Part of playing properly IMO is choosing one of the three basic weapon paths for any weapon-enhancing traits you take and sticking primarily to said weapons (that is, IF you try to put more points into weapon skill traits).  These are bullet-type weapons (pistols, chainguns, and plasma rifles), spread/explosive weapons (shotguns and rocket launchers), and melee weapons.  Reloader primarily benefits spread/explosive weapons due to their long reload times, EE primarily benefits bullet-type weapons due to the large number of missiles hurled and the fact that damage done primarily depends on most of the bullets actually hitting (whereas spread weapons always hit anyway and aren't affected at all, and though explosive weapons do get a significant benefit as well this can be mitigated somewhat by the presence of nearby walls), and Finesse is fairly good for all weapons as while the effect by itself is small the change in speed can save your life in some cases.  Of course, if you stick to defensive traits, this isn't the most helpful tip... :P

3. This death actually seems along similar lines to a lot of my deaths, though instead of having lots of overloaded plasma rifles I have a lot of medkits and die after taking a chance on a miss or kill.  The common problem in both cases is that we both said "Nah, we need this for later, we can survive this now even though it might look bad," and promptly died.  The solution, obviously, is to use what we have to stay alive as long and as effectively as possible even if there's a chance of surviving without doing so.  But then, easier said than done as usual....

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:40 »

Thanks for the feedback! I just had my first win on Easy difficulty, I'll probably upload that mortem soon. For that I actually skipped plasma rifles altogether in favor of a double shotgun and used the cells to power my BFGs. That seemed the work pretty well. Although defensive skill sets worked well for me in Easy, I'll probably have to go on the offensive with Medium and I'll definitely keep your trait tips in mind. My biggest problem was that I got assaulted rediculous sets ofl monsters on l22 and l23 and had to convert my ammo over to the BFG which sucked. I got more reasonable levels on my successful attempt which allowed me save my power cells for the Cyberdemon.

Thanks again for taking the time to type out such in in-depth reply!

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 13:23 »

Well, don't leave defensive traits behind completely; they are apparently very helpful even on tougher difficulties, and I can believe that they'd be as such due to the higher amounts of monsters on such.  If you do however take offensive traits it only makes sense to stick to the weapons that get the most out of those you choose.  And you're welcome, though I usually spend way more time than I should here anyway. :P
Pages: [1]