Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: The Journey to 100%  (Read 82574 times)

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
  • First-try Veteran Angelic Badge
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey to 100%
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2017, 13:52 »

Day 53:

I put most of my focus on getting Gutts' Heart this time. I figured that because of how rare it can be to get an opportunity for this medal, I might be tempted to botch a different run if I had a random Dragonslayer appear. Instead of potentially ending up in that crossroad, I grinded for it a ton to get it done.

I tried a bit of the I'm Too Young To Die strategy, but it takes way too long to get going, so I mostly used Angel of Berserk + Overconfidence. To my surprise it was laughably easy, which is cool to see since I struggled with it before when I was grinding for JC kills. The monster count and dangerousness is so low compared to all the Ultra-Violence and Nightmare runs I've been doing lately.

During a few attempts, I had a couple of cool runs. One in particular was when I found the Trigun on floor 2 and found a lot of Invulnerabilities, so I went for a goofy mass nuking! :D I even got a second Fallout Platinum Cross, and another JC kill!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I actually had a couple more early Trigun runs, but this was the best one.

I also noticed with how empty the levels are, I could really speed through each floor waiting for "Something valuable", and decided to see just how fast I could do it:

Not bad! ;) Now to do that with all 3 episodes on Nightmare at the same pace and we'll be in business.

On another interesting run, I found Berserker Armor on floor 1 and decided to see if a Baron would pick it up, and it seemed like it didn't. To confirm, I checked the coding:

Code: [Select]
OnEquipCheck = function (self,being)
if not being:is_player() then return false end
if not being.eq.weapon or being.eq.weapon.id ~= "udragon" or (being.hp >= being.hpmax / 2) then
ui.msg("How am I supposed to wear this thing??")
return false
end
return true
end,

It seems that this is the only armor that has this check. I suppose nearly invincible enemies would be too dangerous, though a lot of fun! :P I was thinking of possible strategies with abusing this, such as giftdropping damaged Gothic Armor (BO) to slow down enemies to a halt. The main downside is the armors can be potentially destroyed by explosions. Fully damaged Necroarmor seems like a fun way to drain out enemy HP, but isn't really all that viable.

Anyway, after goofing around in a lot of runs, I had a big mental swing on floor 7 of one run:

Given that I was already invincible and on the floor just before Dis, this was the perfect setup! Once equipped, I still took the floor slow to eliminate any risk of dying. I definitely didn't want to have to repeat finding Dragonslayer. I set myself up with a great camping spot:

As you would expect, everything got demolished.

Gutts' Heart achieved and 41/43 medals reached! That just leaves Thomas's Medal and Dervis' Medallion. Funny enough, going for these will give me 2 rewards and 3 rewards, both for a total of 5! I think I'll try some Angel of Humanity Conqueror attempts soon. I watched through parts of Papilio's run on Ultra-Violence to pick up on some tricks. I actually didn't learn much besides the two-stepping trick against the Angel of Death, which will be super useful. Is it perfectly safe? The rest I picked up on was playstyle differences. I'm assuming others play a lot like him with blind firing and more inventory variety, but it's such a contrast to how I play DoomRL. I absolutely love using Intuition and Shotguns, and I'd rather not stray from that. Besides, it's done me well so far! :)

I did another thorough checking through the players on the boards here to see how others have done in collecting all the medals and badges. Tormuse and Papilio are the two best confirmed players by far and completely edge me out at the moment, while there are also VANDAM and 2Dev who I understand have some suspicions about their legitimacy. I also noticed Evilpotatoe and Thomas outdo me in platinum badge counts (especially Thomas at 25/26!), and Appuru who has at least 3 angelic badges. There are also Ridonk and Fanta Hege who may be ahead of my counts, though I can't confirm that. Who knows what lurkers out there have too, and there are possibly players out there with 42/43 or 43/43 medal counts.

Now mind you, I'm not playing strictly to compare myself to others, but as I'm getting further and further ahead with badges, it's nice to know what to expect in terms of difficulty for the rest. Matching their achievements also makes for nice short-term goals, and like I've mentioned before, perhaps firing up some activity and friendly competition! :) My end goal is still to get absolutely 100% in everything, but I have no clue how long it will take me to get some of the scary angelic badges. Some other active players to bounce ideas off with or to motivate each other in progress could be very helpful. I'm also more than happy to help out anyone who wants some tips or to share strategies with for anything I've done so far! :D

I think my next focus will be Angel of Humanity as a Conqueror, but it's quite the challenge it would seem! The main advantage is that I can play on Hey, Not Too Rough, so I have a lot more control on each level, but a full game with basically no mistakes will be tough. Unholy Cathedral, Limbo/Mortuary, and Abyssal Plains in particular will require lots of careful planning and strategizing!
v0.9.9.7G: [43|26/26/26/24/21/4]

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2017, 16:36 »

Of course formers and barons can't wear the Berserker Armor, they don't and can't ever have the Dragonslayer :P

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2017, 12:59 »

first time checking in on this thread, some incredible progress being made here

i would suggest tackling veteran angelic next with max carnage. its a lot easier than it sounds on the surface when using a burst build. most of the strategy involves finding a saferoom to gift drop, using run-wait and blasting away. by the time you encounter the bigger monsters, you should have either a gatling gun or plasma rifle, which on max carnage, will kill nearly everything in one burst
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2017, 14:30 »

Thanks!

That's some solid advice for sure, and I agree that it'll likely be the next angelic badge I go for. :) I'm quite confident I can do it, but it might take a little luck with corpse control and getting a good start on every floor.

Day 54:

With just 2 medals left, I put my attention to Thomas's Medal, which would also give me Everyman Platinum Badge. Despite running around with just 10 HP, Hey, Not Too Rough is super easy to play. :P I've mostly been finding a safe spot and spamming RunWait to kill everything.

One issue I had before that I forgot about was handling Deimos Lab, and I rolled it again. I was a little more prepared this time with some fancy Blue Armor:

I also setup a super good strat for the Arachnotrons:

Basically, I close one of the doors, step outside the other, and use RunWait. Once one appears, I go to the top right corner to cornershoot the Arachnotron once it goes outside the little room. It's perfectly safe and easy!

I left all the crates intact this time for cover against the Shamblers, but I got a little worried with them roaming around, so I opted to do a cornershoot strat. Unfortunately, one appeared directly beside me. I switched the Super Shotgun, though I forgot I didn't have Juggler, and after firing I made the stupid mistake of reloading, got double melee hit and died. :(

I'm absolutely certain I can beat Hell's Armory, not just because there's only one Shambler, but because the landscape is significantly better for fighting them. However, I still haven't come up with a solution for Deimos Lab. I was considering Brute x2 + Berserker, but it's a massive waste of traits, especially since I can use the two-step trick against Angel of Death.

Perhaps I'll just grind out runs until I roll Hell's Armory instead. In any case, I was a bit unmotivated to start another run, despite being able to save for this challenge, so I spent my time doing a little theorycrafting and planning. The entirety of Phobos is pretty easy, with the only scary parts being Chained Court and Phobos Anomaly, but both are consistent enough not to worry too much. Deimos has Deimos Lab to worry about as said, and Abyssal Plains is a bit risky with the cramped area. The other levels are all pretty easy, and I'm not too concerned about Spider's Lair either. The Cyberdemon can be killed with Dodgemaster abuse.

Phobos Lab is a bit annoying with the cancellation of Envirosuit, so I might use a Phase Device in that case. The other thing is if I'm unlucky and get warped to the same area in the acid, I'll have enough time with the power-up to continue on as if I hadn't used a Phase Device. I might also consider using one for Abyssal Plains.

Unholy Cathedral should be fine, so long as the strat is as simple as it looks. I'll definitely have Hellrunner x3 and Tactical Boots by then, so it shouldn't be a problem. The Vaults is also cake. However, Mortuary and Limbo are both scary, and I'm not entirely sure what I'll do for those. I believe I actually can nuke them and still achieve Conqueror, so I'll absolutely do that if possible. Otherwise, I'll probably just make a mad dash for the Nuclear BFG and hope for the best. This is kind of a problem, so if anyone has some advice, that'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Lava Pits and Mt Erebus are easy, so long as I have an Envirosuit or two. And besides all those special levels, the regular floors are all easy. Only an Arachnotron cave or an exceptionally awful start filled with dangerous enemies can pose a threat. Dis is also super easy.

It might take awhile to get this medal, only because the runs themselves are quite long, but I also need some special level luck. I think ideally, I would want Military Base, Hell's Armory, The Wall, City of Skulls, Halls of Carnage, Limbo, and Mt Erebus. Hopefully I can get some fortune there.

Not much more else to say! Please give me some tips though! :D

Ridonk

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2017, 16:01 »

I've been trying this challenge a bit recently, and the best thing I can come up with for Mortuary/Limbo is a nano super/double shotty with Shottyhead. That way you can radar shoot everything out of your vision and avoid getting hit..... It does rely on many other things coming together beforehand of course. :)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2017, 18:08 »

Am I correct in assuming Dervis is the other of your unachieved medals?

If so, you might consider going for your Centurial Angelic. Since you have achieved the maximum number of Diamond badges that can affect your skill rank,  there's no point trying to do Centurial Diamond separately.

As far as that goes, congratulations on surpassing me.  Only 2 confirmed players to go,  and after that,  VANDAM... by the way,  if you pull off Centurial Angelic,  you'll be a step ahead of him in a sense, because that was the only Angelic he didn't claim to have earned.

I have no advice for Thomas,  however... I never had much luck with AoHu or conqueror,  so combining them is definitely not my area of expertise.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2017, 02:53 »

Dervis is the other missing medal, yes. You can click the image in my signature for full details of what I need to get.

While true that Centurial Angelic covers for that and Centurial Diamond, I'd argue the difference in difficulty is significant enough to warrant doing them separately, so that I can enjoy having earned the easier rewards earlier.

Also, I believe VANDAM did achieve Centurial Angelic, according to his signature.

Day 55:

I tried some more for Angel of Humanity as a conqueror, and had a really sick start by the end of floor 2:

Unfortunately, with a single misclick, I got killed, lol. :(

Boo. After that, I tried some more of beating Nightmare under 20 minutes, but still no luck there.

Afterwards, I starting looking into the coding some more and I'm quite confident in saying I believe I've made a new discovery!

OnMortem = function ()
if player:has_won() then
player:add_badge("everyman3")
if statistics.bonus_levels_completed == statistics.bonus_levels_count then
player:add_badge("everyman4")
player:add_medal("thomas")
if DIFFICULTY >= DIFF_VERYHARD then
player:add_badge("everyman5")
end
end
if DIFFICULTY >= DIFF_NIGHTMARE and ARCHANGEL then
player:add_badge("everyman6")
end
end
end,

It seems that the game only checks if your bonus levels completed and count are equal, instead of checking if you're actually a conqueror! This means that if you were to play Humanity + Confidence / Overconfidence / 100, you won't get the reward for being a conqueror, but the game will still give you Thomas's Medal and Elite Platinum Badge! Seems that it's a very similar oversight to the Max Carnage + Overconfidence trick for the Destroyer Badges.

This trick will also work for Everyman Diamond Badge if it works for the others!

Here's some other chunks of code that would usually avoid this error:

-- elite badges
if DIFFICULTY >= DIFF_VERYHARD  and is_conqueror then player:add_badge("elite4") end
if DIFFICULTY >= DIFF_NIGHTMARE then
if is_90kills then player:add_badge("elite5") end
if is_maxkills and is_conqueror then player:add_badge("elite6") end
end

register_challenge "challenge_aocn"
{
name        = "Angel of Confidence",
description = "Are three episodes too much of a grind? Try beating the game in just two! Having seen the destruction of Phobos beforehand, you asked to be dropped off at the Deimos base to save yourself the trouble. At least they were nice enough to give you some more gear.",
rating      = "VERY HARD",
rank        = 4,
abbr        = "AoCn",
let         = "N",
removemedals = { "icarus1", "icarus2", "explorer", "conqueror", "competn1", "competn2", "competn3", "untouchable1", "untouchable2", "untouchable3" },

register_challenge "challenge_aooc"
{
name        = "Angel of Overconfidence",
description = "Not three episodes, not even two: now we're down to a single count! You were so ready to face the legions of Hell that you were sent directly to their home turf. Good thing you snuck some extra supplies!",
-- In memory of our best abuser of AoOC
rating      = "SEREG",
rank        = 6,
abbr        = "AoOC",
let         = "V",
removemedals = { "icarus1", "icarus2", "explorer", "conqueror", "competn1", "competn2", "competn3", "untouchable1", "untouchable2", "untouchable3" },

register_challenge "challenge_a100"
{
name        = "Angel of 100",
description = "100 levels, and you win. No Cybie, no Spidey, no JC, no special levels, just 100 normal levels. And yes, there are more and more enemies after level 25...",
rating      = "HARD",
rank        = 5,
abbr        = "A100",
let         = "O",
removemedals = { "gambler", "aurora", "explorer", "conqueror", "fallout1", "fallout2", "fallout3", "ironskull1" },

Now, Confidence and Overconfidence with Humanity, while in theory should give Thomas's Medal, are still very difficult, if not more difficult because you won't have the Arena Master's Staff for The Vaults. It could potentially be done on Ultra-Violence with use of Azrael's Scythe since you can use it indefinitely as far as max health is concerned, but then the Angel of Death is an issue.

So instead, I'm genuinely considering going for Angel of Humanity + Angel of 100 for Thomas's Medal and Everyman Platinum Badge! While it's a ton of floors, they're all just normal floors, of which I can skip through, don't need to kill everything, etc. No more having to deal with Deimos Lab or Mortuary or Abyssal Plains or any of those! :P When I did my Ultra-Violence 100% kill Angel of 100 awhile back, I would go through dozens of floors before ever getting touched, and now that I'm significantly better at the game and would be playing on Hey, Not Too Rough, I honestly think I can do it! Plus, it would be an amazing proof of concept! I searched through the mortems, and there isn't a single Angel of Humanity + Angel of 100 in there, which might be why this wasn't discovered.

It's still possible there's some sort of code preventing this trick, but I can't find such a thing and I'm ~99% sure it does actually work. If anyone can confirm if it does or doesn't, please share!

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2017, 05:48 »

Ah, I see... hadn't noticed his updated signature until I went looking just now.

Still, it was the only one missing from his original profile of 16/17, so there's that.

Thanks for the mention in your proposed AoOC code, by the way ;)

And now for the fateful words - if you manage to earn Thomas' Medal on Ao100, I will be very impressed. (shh, don't let Tormuse overhear >.> <.< >.>)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 06:01 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2017, 13:50 »

I think you misunderstood, Sereg; that's the actual code in the game. I was pointing out that with how it's structured it prevents the conqueror trick for other challenges.

Day 56:

With my new strategy idea, I've been trying Angel of Humanity mixed with Angel of 100 for Thomas's Medal and Everyman Platinum Badge. I'm still close to certain it works, but there's still the obstacle of actually doing the challenge, and it's quite hard.

So far on all of my runs, I've been instakilled by something. It's pretty insane actually how safe I have to be playing. Letting up defense just for one moment against just one enemy kills the run. I have to really respect the danger and assume the worst scenario with every decision. I'm also thinking that Cerberus Boots are going to be almost essential since fluid damage is massive and there are cases where I can't get around dealing with it. I'd rather not have to always be carrying an Envirosuit, so I'll definitely need those boots, or at the very least, Enviroboots.

After dying there a few times, I tried some more of beating a standard Nightmare game in under 20 minutes. On my first attempt of the night, I had some luck in Deimos with an early Invulnerability, got through some floors, found a few Homing Phase Devices, and just before fighting the Cyberdemon, there was an Invulnerability that was literally adjacent to the stairs! I also switched off from choosing Dodgemaster as my fifth trait for Brute to massively increase my melee damage (mostly due to the accuracy buff). I destroyed the Cyberdemon and reached Hell for the first time in awhile. From there, I finally got the stacked Invulnerability needed to get through in a reasonable amount of time, and then for the last touch of good luck, had another double Invulnerability on the last floor before Dis!

It was very relieving to finally get these badges! On top, I finished with a pretty good 12:16, though it's sadly still so far away from the angelic badge. Besides Speedunner Angelic Badge, I now have all the real-time badges and medals, which is nice so that I can actually play at my preferred pace.

Since I was speedrunning, I didn't take much for screenshots, but I did snap this ending here since I noticed the swag experience level of 6/66%! ;)

Happy to get some progress, especially since it came unexpectedly while I was just rotating challenges. I'm going to try some more for Humanity, but I'm beginning to think that despite how cool it would be and how simplified playing is, that I might not do Angel of 100 after all. I might try some stairdiving next time and see how that goes.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2017, 14:20 »

Very interesting build choice for the UAC Diamond game!  I'm impressed!  :o  I always thought melee builds are the way to go for that challenge, since it eliminates a lot of button presses and saves time.

Am I correct in assuming Dervis is the other of your unachieved medals?

If so, you might consider going for your Centurial Angelic...

Good idea, but unfortunately, ArchAo666 blocks Dervis' Medallion.  (I haven't read the code, but I didn't get it with my Centurial Angelic game)

Thanks for the mention in your proposed AoOC code, by the way ;)

Oh, did Icy add the "SEREG" in there?  That explains it.  :P  (I was wondering if he was reading from code for a future version of the game or something)  In any case, it's very fitting!  :D

And now for the fateful words - if you manage to earn Thomas' Medal on Ao100, I will be very impressed. (shh, don't let Tormuse overhear >.> <.< >.>)

Oh, don't say that!  I'll feel compelled to do the same thing, but at UV difficulty!  :D  (Just kidding...  or am I?)  :P
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08 »

Oh, did Icy add the "SEREG" in there?  That explains it.  :P  (I was wondering if he was reading from code for a future version of the game or something)  In any case, it's very fitting!  :D
The sentence in parentheses is the correct explanation: Sereg actually made it into the source code for 0.998. The previous line from the same code ("-- In memory of our best abuser of AoOC") says the same - the devs wanted to pay homage to the most prominent master of sereging ;).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2017, 06:01 »

Ah, that explains some things...  I notice that there are other things listed in the source code that don't exist in the game, such as the middle line here, from the berserk code...

message_init   = "You feel like a killing machine!",
message_ending = "You feel your anger slowly wearing off...",
                message_done = "You feel more calm.",

It seems that they intended to include lines to warn the player when powerups are wearing off!  Too bad we didn't get to see that in action.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2017, 08:02 »

Ah, that explains it. I thought it was Icy's addition, because the game still lists AoOC as Very Hard. I didn't realize the 998 source was available...

Well in that case - thanks for the mention, Kornel ;)
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2017, 09:00 »

Melee builds are probably the way to go for speedrunning, but I figured I had enough time to work with to use something I'm more capable with. For the Speedrunner Angelic Badge, I'll definitely be using melee. Keep in mind that the majority of that run was me speeding through while Invulnerable. The traits I chose are the ones to best support doing that.

Yes, Dervis' Medallion is only earned on Angel of 100, while Centurial Angelic Badge is only earned on Angel of 666 (obviously). However, Centurial Diamond Badge can be earned on either. Here's the code for why that is:

OnMortem = function ()
if player.depth >= 16 then player:add_badge("century1") end
if player.depth >= 51 then player:add_badge("century2") end
if player:has_won() then
player:add_badge("century3")
if DIFFICULTY >= DIFF_VERYHARD then player:add_badge("century4") end
if DIFFICULTY >= DIFF_NIGHTMARE then
if ARCHANGEL then player:add_badge("century6") end
player:add_badge("century5")
end
end
end,

if ARCHANGEL then
ui.msg_enter("Or wait... false alarm. Still 566 to go.")
else
if DIFFICULTY == DIFF_NIGHTMARE then
player:add_medal("dervis")
end
player:win()
end

On that note of digging into the code, I was curious what the lever beneficial/neutral/dangerous feelings refer to when you only have Intuition x1, so I made a quick list:

Beneficial: Enemy damage, armor repair, health boost
Neutral: Water flood, forces explosions
Dangerous: Acid flood, lava flood, destroys walls, summons enemies

Day 57:

I tried more for Angel of Humanity + 100, but it's simply too luck-based when the intended method is much easier. Most of the combat is fine, you just need to be careful, but any bad start is hard to deal with. It'd be very unlikely to avoid Arachnotron caves for an entire 100 floors, or any starts with a dangerous group of enemies nearby. Almost all of my deaths were unfortunate insta-kills, but given that I've been making it to the 30s in floors, that's a good sign I can get through the floors of a normal game. As cool as it would be to flaunt the new strategy of Humanity + 100, I'm going to go back to normal attempts next time I try for it. I'm undecided which I'll do for Everyman Diamond Badge though.

I played for Quartermaster Platinum Badge this time with mixing Max Carnage. It plays a lot like a regular game, but there's a slight time limit. I had a few close calls, but never blew up on any floors.

On one of my runs, I reached the Cyberdemon with a collection of guns, including Elephant Gun, Double Shotgun, Chaingun, Plasma Rifle, and also a Chainsaw. I went for the Dodgemaster abuse strategy and was continually shot each reload, and ended up dying. I never realized that the Shotgun is the fastest weapon at reloading! I also really dislike the Elephant Gun with it's awful reloading speed. Combined with Shottyman trait is nice though, but I never reached that point. I also tried Gunrunner again and still hate it. :P

Juggler is a really sick trait to have for Max Carnage runs by the way, especially with the mouse wheel trick. :)

I had another nice run that got far into Hell, but a single Arachnotron cave was the end of that. While I'm still dying at the same rate as I would on Angel of Humanity, at least Max Carnage allows me to fight back properly in most cases. So I tried some more and got a solid run going.

This was a particularly nasty start given I was on Max Carnage:

Fortunately, I managed to scrape by and grab the Invulnerability too:

Towards the end of the run on Hell 5, I happened to leave a single tile uncovered on the far right side, which I later learned was hiding the stairs. Because I had to quickly run over there through a group of Mancubi to avoid the nuke killing me, I used up most of my health items and other gear. I got super lucky with a nice Hell 6 though:

Those are Phaseshift Boots by the way. :) After that I had a pretty simple, though slightly scary Hell 7:

Once I got to Dis, I clicked RunWait and got the badge!

Hitting the nice milestone of platinum badge count being the big two-oh is really awesome! Next will be some more platinum badges that I think I can get. Angel of Humanity as a Conqueror is on the backburner for now. I do want to get that finished at some point though since I would really like to finish collecting all the medals and being done with that, but it'll have to wait for now.

Good progress and lots of fun! :)

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2017, 07:06 »

Day 58:

The focus this time was on the Masochist Badges. Since I could mix them with Max Carnage, they weren't too bad to go for. They played out mostly like a normal Max Carnage run where I couldn't heal, so I just needed to be a little extra careful. Invulnerability and Berserk still works like normal, so that helps a lot.

I went for Masochist Platinum Badge first and got it pretty quickly. Nothing really remarkable happened, just careful gameplay and normal levels:

Next was Masochist Diamond Badge in the same manner. On runs outside of Angel of 100/666, I never get high enough experience levels to ever want Ironman or Badass, so that restriction wasn't a big deal.

Part way into the run, I had an interesting scenario. I entered with a nuke nearby while already Invulnerable, but there was another Invulnerability not far off. I also was in dire need of healing. I decided to set off the nuke in place and made a mad dash for the second one:

I fortunately made it before the Mancubus shot at me:

I had another arena level two floors later and found a Phaseshift Armor:

Found another Invulnerability nearby:

After the Cyberdemon, I had a bit of luck with the stairs:

Which kept continuing:

Then on Hell 5, I had another Invulnerability spawn, which meant my run was quite close to being finalized:

Unfortunately, the spawned enemies on both sides of me were not nice:

Sucks since I was so close to the ending, but that's how it goes on Nightmare sometimes. All it takes is one nasty floor and the run is over. Of course, I kept trying though. Getting pretty deep into a new run, I had a nasty room but some awesome luck:

Immediately after was essentially an Arachnotron cave. I had Enviroboots so close by, but I unfortunately couldn't risk grabbing them:

Into Hell, I had some much-needed Invulnerability luck:

Then on Hell 6, being near the end again, I got another totally awful floor with a tough maze with both staircases on the far opposite side:

Through some close calls and clever tactics, I managed to not die:

The game gave me a break at the end, which followed with another easy Spider Mastermind kill:

Very happy to get this pair of badges done! I've now got Tormuse matched and beaten in platinum and diamond, with just Evilpotatoe, Thomas, and Papilio edging me out in platinum, and with just Papilio left in diamond badges. Of course there are others, but nobody else who are confirmed. Pretty cool!

I'd like to try for another angelic badge soon, and going off Khiijol's advice, I think I'll do Veteran Angelic Badge next. Given that I can abuse any of Max Carnage, Light Travel, and Overconfidence, it doesn't seem too insane of a challenge. The main issue will be killing JC. Ideally, I'd just double nuke the ending, but I need to survive which is the problem. I'll see what I can figure out for that! It'd be great to get another ranking promotion and match some more players! :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13