Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 22:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: The Journey to 100%  (Read 82665 times)

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
  • First-try Veteran Angelic Badge
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey to 100%
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2017, 14:06 »

Day 59:

First time posting progress on the day of in quite awhile! :D

So as said, I decided to go for Veteran Angelic Badge with combining Max Carnage and Overconfidence. I had a pretty good start:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Part way into the level, I found the unique that spawned, which was Revenant's Launcher! Definitely a big help for corpse disposal:

All the rockets collected from annoying Mancubi and Revenants will come in handy now. I generally don't like using Rocket Launchers since they destroy walls and scatter enemies around, but I didn't have much of a choice for this challenge. I got through the first floor pretty well, which is nice. Not much struggling yet!

Floors 2 and 3 weren't anything special; I just killed enemies with the Assault Shotgun and then blew them up. One thing that stood out for me though is I was playing exceptionally well and had a massive kill streak after just a few levels:

Floor 4 is very crucial to the run since I need to safely get the Nuclear BFG. While an Invulnerability did spawn, it was unfortunately very far away from the stairs:

I actually took my first hit in awhile here to a Nightmare Cacodemon, which got me back on alert:

I found a Power Battery and the Hell Staff close together! Two very critical items for success!

The good luck continued with rolling Limbo. I didn't really have a plan for Mortuary, so I'm glad I got this:

I had quite the arsenal ready for Limbo. I had to be very careful to getting to the top-right:

Fortunately, there were no Archviles on that island and I made it there while still Invulnerable. I made the stupid mistake of forgetting that the corpses around can respawn and nearly died for it:

I really wanted to save the Soulsphere, but didn't have a choice and had to use it right away to blow up the island. Once that was done, I started firing away at the enemies:

I didn't bring much for health, so I had to run across earlier than I had planned while I had over 100% health. Once I cleared out the middle area, I used up my last Large Med-Pack to cross again:

I was very careful on keeping one of the middle Soulspheres intact for later. Once again, I continued firing off to the far-off islands:

Once the level was cleared out, I was in fairly good shape overall:

I was already at the one hour mark as this takes forever to do. I started considering that a Trigun run with floor 7 Invulnerability might be a much better strategy, although it would be a massive grind to get that luck. Limbo on Nightmare is so brutal though.

Floor 5 was pretty easy and nothing special. Floor 6 greeted me with this however:

I was super tempted to use the Nuclear BFG to wipe out a ton of enemies, but I was worried I could potentially destroy a nuke or something, so I just took cover and fired away countless shells into the crowd:

Turns out, doing that was a good idea:

I rolled Mt Erebus, which I definitely prefer over Lava Pits. Happy to have got both bonus levels I wanted. Once I cleared out some of the Pain Elementals and Lost Souls around the starting area, I used the Hell Staff:

Kind of lucky to get inside honestly, as clearing out the Revenants while having cover is nice. Once they were cleared, I phased out some more:

Eep.

So stupid. I had to waste all of my Med-Packs. After grinding this run for a good chunk of time, this would be the dumbest way to lose the run. This is one major disadvantage of Mt Erebus over Lava Pits. I had one try left:

Thank god, and honestly, I got warped in the ideal place too. I flipped the lever and cleared out the enemies around:

I noticed this Mancubus's corpse wouldn't get gibbed, so I stood on it for a moment while killing the others:

Even a BFG shot wouldn't destroy it?

Lava Armor!

I was pretty well set for the Lava Elemental:

Killed him without getting hit! Pretty good!

After leaving behind the two undestroyable corpses, figuring they were dummied out or something, I checked my status to be sure:

Had to waste an Envirosuit, which was worrying:

One of them would be destroyed after respawning, but the other still wouldn't so I dunked him in lava instead:

So I was pretty well set to fight JC now, but I wasn't entirely sure how I'd go about killing him, since I've had awful luck every time I tried during my Apostle rank grind. I was really hoping floor 7 would give a second nuke and a nearby Invulnerability. I got a decent floor, but nothing I really needed:

Some complications with clearing:

Entering Dis, this was my status:

After I blew up the Spider Mastermind, I was a little undecided what to go with for JC, but I went with this setup:

At this point, I was actually set for the angelic badge, and this was all on my first attempt, but I honestly was worried:

This realization however made my heart rate spike WAY up:

The Revenant's Launcher is SO GOOD for JC, and I realized I might actually kill him!

Once I read "severely wounded", I started to get a bit nervous as I had a real shot at killing him now. 15 years of competitive gaming and at this point, it's exceptionally rare for me to feel nervous when playing. This was one of those moments. JC backed me up by taking a rocket hit, which worked out since I block most of fire damage and wanted to be out of sight of the other enemies:

HOLY SHIT I DID IT ON MY FIRST TRY!!!

This was BY FAR by leaps and bounds the most amazing thing I've ever done in DoomRL! This was literally my first attempt at going for this angelic badge and the run immediately after when I got Masochist Diamond Badge! A ton of it was good luck with Revenant's Launcher, Hell Staff, both good bonus levels, clear Nuclear BFG, not getting stuck in Mt Erebus, and no nasty floors! It's hard to show of course, but I definitely performed very well here and used a ton of great tactics throughout too! I really didn't think I would get this badge without some insane, goofy Trigun run, but I did it! I'm so elated!

v0.9.9.7G: [43|26/26/26/24/21/4]

Ridonk

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2017, 09:14 »

Magnificant :)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2017, 19:11 »

Very nice.

Lucky run, to be sure, but very well played. You have well and truly exceeded my ability, now... definitely looking forward to your next attempts.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2017, 06:41 »

Thanks guys! Shoutouts to Khiijol again for the suggestion too! :D

Day 60:

I dabbled a little bit with Pacifist Angelic Badge, and it's super dumb, lol. The furthest I got to before dying or having an enemy die was floor 5, so this will definitely require a mega grind to get. On the plus side, the actual execution is pretty simple, but it'll take many, many attempts to get the needed luck.

I also tried a bit more for Angel of Humanity as a Conqueror on a normal game and on Angel of 100, but neither were working out. After awhile, I did some brainstorming and I came up with an absolutely amazing strategy for the run!

As shown in the code before, you can do Angel of Humanity + Overconfidence, complete the 4 floors, and receive the rewards, but all of the bonus levels are pretty insane to do. However, a very important point is that when you start off with one of each basic mod pack, a Combat Knife, and a Red Armor, you can create both a Ballistic Red Armor and a Chainsword immediately! This trivializes Unholy Cathedral! You can use a nice setup for the Lost Souls, destroy all the Demons once Berserk, and then fighting the Angel of Death with Berserk + Ballistic Armor, you'll only be taking 1 (10%) damage each hit!

Once a Lost Soul appears, step into the corner and ideally, the Lost Soul goes where you just were, giving a safe kill. Dancing around isn't too hard if they're uncooperative, and you'll usually need to use a Large Med-Pack anyway, so it's a great way to starting the level.

The other important key is that with both Angel of Humanity and Overconfidence, you receive all the Large Med-Packs for both challenges, giving you a total of 4 of them! You'll almost certainly need 2 for the Unholy Cathedral, but still have a pair for before or after.

Now, if you play on Hurt Me Plenty, which is harder than the necessary difficulty of Hey, Not Too Rough for the challenge, you can get Azrael's Scythe, which is the absolute key to completing the other bonus levels! Because you can use it indefinitely so long as you can keep healing (maximum HP has a minimum but still works), you can use it and wipe out both The Vaults and Mortuary/Limbo! In fact for Mortuary/Limbo, you start beside two Soulspheres, so you don't even necessary need all the Med-Packs. Once you clear the level by Whisper of Death spam, you then gain 4 extra Large Med-Packs, Angelic Armor, Red Armor (P), a nuke (via Nuclear BFG), and a Soulsphere on your exit! These two floors are also fantastic for experience!

Ideally for Lava Pits/Mt Erebus, you can enter while Invulnerable and nuke the place, then killing the Lava Elemental (2ish hits) once it warps to you. With Red Armor (P) + Berserk + Large Med-Packs, you have enough healing to survive, so long as you don't get dunked in lava.

With the Lava Element, you can then use it for floor 7 if you still have your nuke (for Dis), or otherwise enter Dis, spam all that you can left of Azrael's Scythe, then approach while Invulnerable and repeatedly make the Spider Mastermind flinch until she dies.

It's such an amazing strategy for this challenge! I can't recommend it enough! The start of floor 1 can be tricky, but Assault Shotgun + Shell Box is usually enough. It's important to also be collecting all the Med-Packs you can and to grab an Envirosuit if possible for the Lava Elemental. Another minor detail is if you find a Rocket Launcher before The Vaults, you can scavenge both of the side vaults for potential goodies.

I strongly recommend using the Scout and going with Brute x2 -> Berserker -> Brute -> Intuition x2 -> Hellrunner x2 -> beyond. The first four are for key for Angel of Death, though with a low experience floor 1, reaching just level 3 is fine. Intuition is also critical in my opinion because after spamming Azrael's, you absolutely need to minimize damage as you're running around with 5 HP and really benefit from seeing where Invulnerabilities are. Despite collecting the traits for Blademaster, it's not really useful since you should be avoiding groups of enemies.

I also recommend using a Scout for stair sense. I tried a bit with Marine, but wandering around the floors is too dangerous, despite having Vampyre and double Berserk/Invulnerability bonuses.

Once I pieced the strategy altogether, it took a few runs to get going, as well as getting a touch of luck, but it's very easy! You can also use the same strategy on Ultra-Violence for Everyman Diamond Badge, which I plan on doing in the future.

This was my setup at the end of floor 1:

Double Invulnerability on floor 5:

Lava Pits two steps away on floor 6:

Some bad luck with a late warp by the Lava Elemental:

Envirosuit + Berserk saving the day. I killed the Lava Elemental in just 2 attacks, though I did need to be careful and used some Med-Packs:

Lucky floor 7:

Lava Element setup for Dis:

And indeed, I received both Thomas's Medal and Everyman Platinum Badge! Very happy to get these, but also to do so with brainpower! :)

At this point now, I just need one more medal, which is Dervis' Medallion. With that, I'll also receive two diamond badges with Centurial Diamond Badge, and Heroic Diamond Badge! I'm pretty confident I can beat Angel of 100 on Nightmare. I'm tempted to use Max Carnage, but I'm thinking it'll make the ending way too difficult, and will probably just do a standard challenge. The only thing is that the run itself takes some time and I don't really want to have my computer running overnight, so I'll try for this on the weekend. In the meantime, I think I'll go for Everyman Diamond Badge next and rotate a bit for the remaining platinum badges I haven't achieved.

Getting all the medals is a major milestone I'm looking forward to completing!

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2017, 10:16 »

awesome runs, congratulations! for a100 on max carnage i've been able to get around level 70 or so before monsters become too overpowering. i was using a cateye build, but maybe shottyhead would be more effective if you could get lucky and get a super shotgun and make it into a nanoshrapnel p-modded gun
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2017, 10:27 »

Brilliant theorycrafting there - if you can keep that up,  you'll have a definite edge approaching your remaining Angelic challenges.

For Dervis, I don't recommend max carnage.  There's no reason you need to be killing anything other then what's directly in your path to the stairs, so I'd recommend a melee stairdive as a scout. It may take a few attempts before you get it rolling,  but once you do it'll go fast... you won't need to leave the computer running overnight.

For reference I submit my Dervis mortem, which I completed in under an hour real-time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:31 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2017, 13:57 »

Thanks guys! :)

That's good to know that Angel of 100 on Nightmare doesn't actually take very long at all! Maybe I'll try for some tonight then.

Day 61:

Not much in terms of progress! I played some for Everyman Diamond Badge, and while it's functionally the same as the way I did Everyman Platinum Badge, the bump up to Ultra-Violence is enough where it's significantly harder to complete. More enemies, more damage, and the bonus levels require extra Med-Packs when using Azrael's. No luck on completing it yet.

I also tried for some Quartermaster Diamond Badge with use of Max Carnage. I had a few good runs, but died in all of them. Arachnotrons and Former Commandos are brutal. :(

Playing for Quartermaster Diamond Badge is a lot of fun, so I'll probably focus on that next. That's all for now!

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2017, 10:08 »

Day 62:

Good progress this day! First was more attempts at Quartermaster Diamond Badge. For the most part, gameplay is just based around not getting hit and making sure to find the stairs while exploring the levels. There's usually enough time to be killing every enemy with Max Carnage, except for the odd cases where they're teleporting around, or they become difficult to control. As you get further into the game, the difficulty stays roughly the same, maybe a bit easier as you get more useful traits to speed up, as well as buffed up weapons. A Plasma Rifle with plenty of ammo is enough to clear entire floors very fast!

Some screenshots; I went for a full clear on Hell's Armory and barely escaped in time:

On one floor, I had a double Invulnerability stacked near each other but didn't know where the stairs were. The floor was a "city" and one of the rooms hadn't been explored in, yet it turned out the stairs was on a random dark tile I hadn't checked yet. Fortunately before discovering that, I decided to use my Homing Phase Device after grabbing the Invulnerabilities, and it also turned out to be a good idea for the following floor:

The rest of the run was pretty basic stuff. It's not too hard of a challenge, but it's a fairly long game where you can't make too many mistakes for the entire duration. Each floor individually is easy, but playing flawlessly as a whole is a bit tough.

Slightly off-topic, here's a cool screenshot of a random game I played about a week ago that I forgot about:

Anyway, after that badge, I went for Berserker Diamond Badge. Given that melee is very hard on Nightmare when you can't be skipping everything, I opted to rush to floor 7, and then create a setup where I could repeatedly kill a weak enemy to buff up my kill count requirement. I got lucky with getting a run after just a few tries!

This was definitely a lucky start to this floor, and was also fantastic for experience:

And even luckier than it would appear!

With the double Invulnerability and a lucky floor 6...

I was able to clear out an arena type floor on Hell 7, and wiped out all the corpses too, leaving just a single Revenant. While they're fairly dangerous, they have very low HP and are easy to repeatedly kill:

Once I reached enough kills (went a fair bit higher than necessary lol), I used the Chainsaw Berserk trick on Dis, charged the Spider Mastermind, and hit her with flinching hits until she died!

Two diamond badges in one night is pretty sweet at this point! This brings my count to 19, still with Heroic and Centurial in the bank waiting! :)

I'll probably start playing for Angel of 100 on Nightmare now and hopefully it doesn't take too long. :P I'm thinking of doing a Shotgun->Melee build with Intuition x2 -> Hellrunner x2 -> Dodgemaster -> Brute x2 -> Berserker -> Brute -> Beyond. It works out well since I'd of course want Blademaster, but only take 3 extra traits beforehand, all of which are helpful for melee builds anyway. Completing this challenge will give the double diamond badge and the last remaining medal, giving me my last major group of rewards, completing another page on my player stats, and leaving a great mark on my progress!

Hopefully I get some good luck on my runs!

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2017, 10:58 »

(Psst...  in AoRA, if you pick up an invulnerability just before the nuke goes off, you survive the nuke and it's an easy way to clear the level)  :)

As Sereg said, brilliant theorycrafting!  :)  I was ready to criticize back when you said your strategy revolved around finding a Trigun or Power Battery, (I know I said that N! games require luck, but being lucky isn't really a "strategy")  :P  but hey, if you're getting results, who am I to complain?  :D

For reference I submit my Dervis mortem, which I completed in under an hour real-time.

Oh, hey, that's cool!  I didn't realize that game was that quick!  I remember a time, back in version 0.9.9.1, when your game had to be under an hour to get Centurial Diamond; no one ever achieved it and it was deemed impossible, so I guess you proved that wrong!  :D  (Mind you, there was no Scout class, and so no stair sense back then)

Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2017, 15:55 »

Surviving the nuke is nice for quick clears, but I didn't want to risk the Invulnerabilities getting destroyed or getting attacked in the open. Hoping for luck or using cheesy tactics may not be the most appealing method for many players, but I'm an optimizer and strategist, and will always use all my resources available to achieve my goals. :)

Day 63:

Against what was recommended, I tried some Angel of 100 with Max Carnage on Nightmare and it didn't go too well. :P While Max Carnage is advantageous in combat and ammo conservation, the monster density is high enough where many starting points are surrounded and hard to control. I'll have to settle with raw Angel of 100 attempts.

I rotated a bit more, but didn't do anything spectacular. I also tried some more for Pacifist Angelic Badge and reached a new furthest point. This was a sketchy situation with nothing dying fortunately:

Lucky floor 5:

Lucky floor 6:

Rougher floor 7. To avoid monsters killing each other, I had to take a long swim through acid:

It seems that for Phobos Anomaly though, you need yet even more luck with a Phase Device for a realistic chance to get through without anything dying:

Another Lost Soul got trashed too lol:

And now for an overall progress discussion and how I'm feeling about all the remaining challenges. :)

One of the things with massively improving (in anything really) is having a stronger realization and understanding of how difficult certain tasks are, how talented top players are, and what's realistic. When I first started playing and writing here, I figured that while being a noob, I could eventually develop enough skill to get absolutely everything. Of course with plateaus, you begin to think that (now easy) other challenges are impossible until they are overcome and the process cycles until the next bump.

The thing is that I've learned a ton about this game now and I'd like to think I'm quite competent with how to play effectively. Yet, I truly don't think I'll ever achieve absolutely 100% of everything, not that I couldn't, but I don't want to end up investing thousands of hours just for certain badges. Speedrunner Angelic Badge comes to mind, but there are a couple others that are totally fucked too. Surely, anyone can get Speedrunner Angelic Badge with enough luck, but to beat the game in 4 minutes on Nightmare has very little to do with skill or learning. It's entirely a slot machine that would take a ridiculously stupid amount of time to get, which could of course be used on countless other things.

With all of this in mind, I also have a much better understanding of why people are very skeptical about 2Dev and VANDAM. I'm a firm believer of innocent until proven guilty, but being so casual about Demonic Angelic Badge doesn't make any sense, not to mention actually achieving it. If there were a supercomputer that would calculate all the mathematics and probabilities of every action and choose the best one each time, I imagine it still wouldn't be able to achieve the badge on most runs. Or just maybe, they know some secret tactics that I haven't figured out yet. Or perhaps they clocked in an ungodly number of hours.

For confirmed players, I'd strongly argue Papilio is the DoomRL's #1 with countless videos and mortems of super difficult challenges, duplicating many of those badges, and beating many without challenge abuse. Tormuse is definitely in that same tier by flaunting the most confirmed angelic badges, especially Everyman Angelic Badge. I'd say I'm a comfy 3rd place, but still behind by a major skill gap that I want to overcome.

Now, this isn't me giving up and vanishing or anything like that, but having learned and improved a lot with the game, I'm definitely going to scale my goals back a bit. Mindless grinding with little to no meaningful input by the player is not appealing at all (I'm perfectly fine with churning out runs though), but there are still many badges that offer a fair and difficult challenge that I want to accomplish. And because the game is a ton of fun, I'm definitely going to do a lot of my own personal challenges. One in particular I want to do eventually is a 100% kill game of Archangel of 666 on Ultra-Violence. I also want to do a bunch more of Max Carnage + Angel of 100 runs. Perhaps I'll also go for "un-Sereg'd" badge challenges too.

Here are my current thoughts on my remaining unachieved badges:

Strongman Platinum Badge - Tough, but doable with Invulnerability luck and using the Chainsaw for Babel and Dis.
Elite Platinum Badge - I don't think this challenge is too bad, but having to go through a long game with Mortuary/Limbo waiting near the end is scary. I'll probably go for 100% kills on this run for the needed experience.
Demonic Platinum Badge - Many of the bonus levels can be immediately exited, so I don't think this is too much harder than a regular Nightmare game. Again, Mortuary/Limbo waiting near the end is going to kill a lot of long runs, but I can definitely get this.
Marksman Platinum Badge - Probably the hardest platinum badge in my opinion. I'll likely go with a Sharpshooter build for this, but I've really never been a fan of using Pistols. Needing to kill everything keeps the player honest and also means mixing with Overconfidence is unrealistic.

Heroic Diamond Badge/Centurial Diamond Badge/Dervis' Medallion - Mostly needs a lucky start, ideally early Inquisitor set, and then it's just a stairdive. Even if this was much tougher, my last medal and a pair of diamond badges is a huge incentive to finish this soon.
Strongman Diamond Badge - Pretty damn hard. Papilio has achieved it, but I might be skipping this one.
Elite Diamond Badge - Basic Nightmare game with respawn grinding on the floor before Dis. Pretty easy, but time-consuming.
Demonic Diamond Badge - Very hard badge to earn. I think it will take a really lucky Phobos episode, followed by Invulnerability luck. Might skip it.
Everyman Diamond Badge - A step up in difficulty from platinum, but I can and will definitely get it.
Arena Diamond Badge - Really dumb luckfest badge, lol. I think only Tormuse has got it? I think the only way I'll be getting it is with a Butcher's Cleaver on floor 2, which I'm not too ecstatic to go for.

UAC Angelic Badge - Totally fucked. Nobody confirmed to have achieved.
Strongman Angelic Badge - Only Tormuse has it, and I'm not exactly excited for punching enemies for hours on end lol. Will probably skip it.
Speedrunner Angelic Badge - lol
Elite Angelic Badge - A couple players have this one which is surprising to me. Maybe I can get it on a Trigun run. :P
Demonic Angelic Badge - Shouldn't be realistically possible.
Berserker Angelic Badge - Tormuse has it from a lucky run. I'd definitely need more Invulnerability luck to get it.
Marksman Angelic Badge - Papilio and a couple others have it I think? I'm already not keen on Marksman Platinum Badge lol. I think a stair-dive with respawn grinding at the end would work, but I don't think I'll go for it.
Eagerness Angelic Badge - Nope.
Inquisitor Angelic Badge - Totally fucked.
Quartermaster Angelic Badge - It seems quite a few players have this one, and I think I can get it too. I'll definitely play for it.
Masochist Angelic Badge - I believe this is the "easiest" unachieved angelic badge? While health boosts are blocked, you can still run around Invulnerable. It's essentially a lighter version of UAC/Demonic, except you can't restore tactics either. I might try for it.
Centurial Angelic Badge - Will definitely get this one at some point.
Pacifist Angelic Badge - Never achieved and I don't think I will be getting it either. It requires far too much luck to be worth grinding for. On the plus side though, it's a nice fallback during a bad gameplay session, or for a few quick runs, so who knows. Maybe after long enough, I'll accidentally get it.
Everyman Angelic Badge - Totally fucked, but Tormuse somehow got it. Of all things though, not being able to use Intuition x2 is keeping me away from it lol.

In summary, I will go for all the remaining platinum badges, most of all the diamond badges (skipping Strongman, Demonic, and Arena), and I'll get at least up to 6 angelic badges for another ranking promotion. I'll probably be getting Centurial Angelic Badge, Quartermaster Angelic Badge, and one other, maybe Elite Angelic Badge.

I'm still overall happy with my progress thus far and have been having a blast, but this is now The Journey to 95%. :P When you shoot for the stars, you still get pretty far into space, and I definitely wouldn't have got as far as I have if not going for 100% to begin with. The top 10 in anything competitive are not players who just want top 10, but 1st.

You do indeed earn your namesake with "No-Life King", and I'm not willing to take that kind of plunge. :P I'll continue doing my best and while I think I won't be going beyond 3rd place in ranks/badges, I'd like to close the gap a bit to Papilio and Tormuse, as well as getting as far up as I can. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the game at this point where I'm seriously running low of realistically doable challenges and being nearly forced to grind for stupidly difficult challenges, but as I said, I'll still be continuing strong, so don't worry. :)

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2017, 17:42 »

i have strongman diamond and found it pretty easy compared to the others. just use the shotgun to soften up demons on the early levels and make sure to switch to your fist for the killing blow. HMP you don't encounter hell knights until after the chained court so you should be able to get bru3 + ber by then, and anything bigger won't be until after the anomaly where you'll definitely have vampyre
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2017, 12:22 »

Like Khiijol said, I think you're overestimating the difficulty of Strongman Diamond.  I mean sure, it's challenging, but if you think it's undoable for you, then I think you need to reevaluate your strategy and abilities.  I know I razzed you earlier for luck-based strategies, but I think it's safe to say that you are a plenty competent and capable player.  You've clearly learned a lot and you're clearly still learning; I think that, with time and practice, and figuring out how to adapt what you know into your playstyle, you'll be able to get this one.  Here's another Strongman Diamond for inspiration.  :D

The same can also be said of Marksman Platinum and Demonic Diamond; actually, considering how much you like Intuition 2, I would have thought those two would be right up your alley!

Or perhaps they clocked in an ungodly number of hours.

For the record, 2Dev posted his "Quad Angelic" game the very first day that version 0.9.9.7 came out.  (The first version that Angelic badges existed)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2017, 12:41 »

Marksman Platinum Badge - Probably the hardest platinum badge in my opinion. I'll likely go with a Sharpshooter build for this, but I've really never been a fan of using Pistols. Needing to kill everything keeps the player honest and also means mixing with Overconfidence is unrealistic.
It may be a playstyle difference, or just my fondness of Sharpshooters - but I tend to disagree with the badge being one of the hardest. It's probably the fact that I only have five Platinum badges, out of which two were received on a single AoMr UV run. (damn, almost five years ago?)
Give it a shot, preferably a sharp one (sorry for the lame pun).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2017, 13:57 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. :) I've just been stuck on a lot of challenges lately and wanted to vent a bit and express some frustrations. Journeys come with bumps sometimes I guess. :P

Day 64:

Continuing on from yesterday, nothing new or any decent runs at all, lol. I tried some more for Pacifist Angelic Badge and had a few more runs near the end of Phobos. It really is a great challenge to go for on the side, so if I play for long enough, I think I will actually get it eventually.

On the positive, I have a long weekend and want to grind hard, so hopefully I'll get some new shinies. :)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2017, 21:05 »

If it helps to motivate you, you are, by this point, clearly a stronger player then I am, so here are the badges I have that you don't yet:

Elite Platinum
Marksman Platinum
Centurial Diamond.

Huh. I thought that would be a longer list - you've sure cleared out alot of challenges.

Suffice it to say, those, at least, are quite doable. The platinums only require UV games, and while they do take a bit of time to get started occasionally, they're usually not too bad to finish once you get one going. I know you've done Conqueror before, and bringing it up to UV isn't too much of an increase in difficulty. Actually, the game where I earned Elite Diamond is the only time I have ever done Conqueror, so if I can do it on UV, you definitely can.

Centurial Diamond is, of course, just a matter of time before you get a good run started.

After that, my advice for you will probably cease to exist, because you will have fully surpassed my achievements in every possible way - well done, lol.

Edit: One other observation I've made - you have more Diamond badges now then Tormuse, by a not-insignificant margin. It's true that he's mostly focused on Angelics now, while you're looking towards full completion, but still... You have more Diamond badges then the legendary Tormuse. That's an acheivement in and of itself.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 21:08 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13