Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: The Journey to 100%  (Read 82491 times)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: The Journey to 100%
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 02:07 »

Hmm, I often get interrupted and have to temporarily leave active games (usually closing/sleeping my laptop - it resumes them just fine when waking up). Does this mean those games wont be counting?

Seems like your games have been counting so far...
There's a little more to it than the little bit I described there, so I wouldn't worry about it
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 06:25 »

100 levels of AoMC isn't as bad as you think,  at least not with his build. Personally, I sometimes enjoy a slaughter fest, and I've made ArchAo666 attempts looking for YAAM before, so if you have that mindset it's not really such a grind,  either.

As far as the build goes, like he said he can kill everything long before it's anything more then a purple X, so there's no major safety issue... once that build gets rolling,  it's not even really an issue of careful play.

Honestly,  that's one of my favorite aspects of 100 and especially 666 - that feeling of being utterly unstoppable. Whenever I did get back into DRL, it will likely be to attempt my Diamond and Angelic Centurial Badges.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:26 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
  • First-try Veteran Angelic Badge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03 »

Thanks for the U key tip, Tormuse! That's definitely important to know! Awhile back, I actually didn't know you could unload weapons with it, and being a perfectionist and overpreparing, I would manually pick up every weapon, empty it, then toss it on the ground. :P The U key is a savior!

Day 4:

Nothing too exciting post-mortem-wise, but I grinded out a whole lot of the easy stuff to get them out of the way. I've reached the ranking of Hell Baron/Major; glad I don't need to be Pistol killing anything anymore. :P I still need 2000 melee kills, 25000/50000 kills, 100 Cyberdemon kills, and 50 JC kills to finish the ranks! Those honestly aren't that bad and progress naturally, but like I said earlier, 50 JCs will take awhile to finish. I'm content with what I'm at so far for now.

I've found every special item now, and only missing 12 more uniques:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I've also made every basic assembly, just missing 5 advanced and 1 master assembly now:

I also finished up collecting the rest of the bronze badges I was missing and have all 26 now:

As well as 18/26 silver badges, missing mostly easy ones too:

Like I said, mostly just getting the easy stuff out of the way. Next goals will be 26/26 silver, and getting the rest of the assemblies!

One funny post-mortem I had was another round of Angel of Pacifism, this time with Angel of Confidence, and once again, forgetting I don't get a nuke. Fortunately, I found a little helper in the Mortuary to solve my problem. :P I actually didn't realize it at first and ran at the Spider Mastermind to accept death, but fortunately I also had a Phase Device to have enough time to survive.

Another lucky fluke for Pacifism, haha.

That's all for today!
v0.9.9.7G: [43|26/26/26/24/21/4]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 11:21 »

I'm a bit late, but still - welcome, and thanks for your "blog", it's nice to see someone doing and recording their overall progress :).

I still need 2000 melee kills, 25000/50000 kills, 100 Cyberdemon kills, and 50 JC kills to finish the ranks!

If you are willing to go through an ultra-grind, just go for a single UV AAo666 game. You don't even need to focus on melee at all - with some luck, you can find a chainsaw to rack up easy melee kills, and 50k kills / 100 Cybies can be done in a single playthrough. Of course, there's no JC along the way, but it's more than enough for a Cyberdemon rank.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 15:33 »

Day 5:

I mostly focused on getting a couple more assemblies and silver badges, then decided to play Ao666 on Hey, Not Too Rough as a test run and for reaching Level 25 for the medal. Because I can't combine it with Max Carnage, I decided to go with a Shottyhead build.

Part way into the run, I noticed that the game is treating it like Angel of 100, saying things like "25 floors to go!" and so forth, and I also noticed in my stats screen it says Ao100. Odd. I was pretty sure I had clicked Archangel of 666, but I was thinking that perhaps the programming of the game doesn't change these messages. Or maybe I just did misclick. Realizing this fact and that it's indistinguishable from a true Angel of 100 game, I thought I had messed it up. On top, around the 92nd floor or so, I also noticed I had somehow missed killing a monster, so I'm scrapping the plan of getting 100% kills now.

Oh and on floor 100, the game told me I have 566 more to go. :P Things like this are why test runs are good!

I'm currently rocking an Assault Shotgun (PPPTT), Super Shotgun (PP), 2x Burst Cannon Nuclear Plasma Rifles (P), Nuclear VBFG9000 (P), Cerberus Boots (A), and Nanofiber Red Armor (P). Throughout 100 floors, I have yet to find a much needed Nano Pack, though to be fair, this is on the easiest difficulty acceptable and I did nuke a few floors, but still. No Onyx, Firestorm, or Sniper Packs for that matter either.

I've been debating on Enviroboots vs Cerberus Boots vs Phaseshift Boots vs Inquisitor Boots, and I'm starting to see the argument in favor for Inquisitor more. I generally lean for Cerberus (A) + Cybernano Energy-Shielded Vest (P), but I did some reading in the Post-Mortem sub-board with Papilio's 2 (!) completions of Centurial Angelic badges, and yeah, might need to go for fire immunity. I've already tossed the Inquisitor Boots I found this run, so that's not happening this time in any case. I do intend to do a completion of Ao666 on UV with 100% kills for a fun, personal challenge at some point, as well as Ao666 on Nightmare, but it won't be for a long while yet. I just wanted to do this on an easier difficulty for practice, learning, and to boost up my stats for medals, rankings, and badges. It's going well so far!

Also, I noticed the heavy emphasis on using Biggest Fucking Nuclear BFG9000 (F) and its stats, which seems ridiculously destructive! Can you damage yourself with it like with Demolition Ammo? I opted for VBFG9000 since I already had the mods for it, it was one of my last three missing assemblies (just need Double Chainsaw and Ripper now), and I was concerned about potentially killing myself with BBFF+F.

Anyway, I'll be continuing my warpath, hopefully finally getting a Nano Pack to complete my Super Shotgun, and reaching Level 25 before getting killed. I also want to collect as many specials and uniques along the way to boost up my count on them. In the off-chance I find Dragonslayer after reaching Level 25 and having Berserk nearby, I'm definitely going to botch my run to get it! :P

All that said, I've been having a blast plowing through 100 levels! Here's to 566 more!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 15:35 by Icy »

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 21:24 »

Part way into the run, I noticed that the game is treating it like Angel of 100, saying things like "25 floors to go!" and so forth...

...Oh and on floor 100, the game told me I have 566 more to go. :P Things like this are why test runs are good!

Haha, yeah, I remember how I felt the first time playing ArchAo666; I was taking notes, getting ready to make a bug report about those messages, but the "566 more to go" line makes it too funny to consider making any changes.  :D

...2x Burst Cannon Nuclear Plasma Rifles (P)...

Two of them?  Why would you need anything else?  :D  That's a new favourite of mine; when combined with a couple levels of Eagle Eye, it's absolutely devastating.

...but still. No Onyx, Firestorm, or Sniper Packs for that matter either.

Give it time...  666 levels is *a lot* of levels; you're bound to find at least one of everything before the end.  :)

I've been debating on Enviroboots vs Cerberus Boots vs Phaseshift Boots vs Inquisitor Boots, and I'm starting to see the argument in favor for Inquisitor more. I generally lean for Cerberus (A) + Cybernano Energy-Shielded Vest (P), but I did some reading in the Post-Mortem sub-board with Papilio's 2 (!) completions of Centurial Angelic badges, and yeah, might need to go for fire immunity. I've already tossed the Inquisitor Boots I found this run, so that's not happening this time in any case. I do intend to do a completion of Ao666 on UV with 100% kills for a fun, personal challenge at some point, as well as Ao666 on Nightmare, but it won't be for a long while yet. I just wanted to do this on an easier difficulty for practice, learning, and to boost up my stats for medals, rankings, and badges. It's going well so far!

The Inquisitor set is quite powerful...  overpowered, really...  A decent boost to speed, total immunity to all the late game monsters, and decent protection from everything else.  (The ability to avoid damage from lava is also very nice)  It's extremely useful in any game, especially a long run like this so I have to say...

...I've already tossed the Inquisitor Boots...

You what?!?  O_o  TheLaptop will not be pleased...

(All that being said, for the really late game in this kind of game, I think you're gonna find the Phaseshift set more useful, because you're gonna want to get to the exits fast)

Also, I noticed the heavy emphasis on using Biggest Fucking Nuclear BFG9000 (F) and its stats, which seems ridiculously destructive! Can you damage yourself with it like with Demolition Ammo?

No, and good thing too; it destroys something like half the map, so if it damaged you, it would be impossible to avoid dying.  EDIT:  The BFG10K does damage you, though, so watch out for that one.  I found that out the hard way.  :P

I look forward to seeing the mortem from this; you should have no trouble with your goal of reaching level 25.  :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 21:28 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 06:37 »

EDIT:  The BFG10K does damage you, though, so watch out for that one.  I found that out the hard way.  :P

I look forward to seeing the mortem from this; you should have no trouble with your goal of reaching level 25.  :)

I would just like to add that I, too, have turned myself into wallpaper with the BFG10k. Unfortunately I can't find the mortem for it, but it definitely happened - to this day I still simply pickup(to log the find) and immediately drop that gun whenever I find it. I'm sure it has some uses, but it's way too dangerous in the hands of someone like myself, who tends to just blaze away with whatever I'm holding until the screen is clear.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 14:31 »

Burst Cannon Nuclear Plasma Rifles are quite good, definitely the best semi-infinite rapid-fire weapon, but because my build is based around Shottyhead, Eagle Eye is blocked. I just used them for when I ran out of shells.

Like I mentioned, I'm not yet a fan of Inquisitor set compared to my usual go-tos, but I also haven't been surrounded by dozens of fire monsters. Keep in mind that this is still just on Hey, Not Too Rough, so I should be fine without. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but hey, it's a test run after all! I am a huge data, strategy, and optimization junkie, so I'll definitely do more thorough research as my experience with high-level play increases.

Day 6:

At floor 108, I discovered my first special mod pack, being an Onyx! Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I didn't want to complain too much as I do need one of those too. Still, I wanted a Nano Pack and was starting to get a bit more desperate for one. Then on floor 109, two spaces away from me was a Nano Pack! Immediately I finished my Nano-Shrapnel Super Shotgun (P) and have turned the game into Cookie Clicker! :P It's insanely good, even Cyberdemons usually get just 1 (often missed) Rocket in before they get killed by sheer firing speed!

Following that, I also reached Level 25 for my first time ever!

I kind of ran out of useful traits, so I went with Brute and Berserker. I figure that if I'm somehow getting hit hard enough to trigger Berserker, I probably need the +60% Resistances.

So basically, I murdered most everything up to floor 201 where I left off. Nothing too exciting really, haha. I'm on the look out for specials and uniques because I require 3 of each and 1000 total to get some badges, but other than that, all I ever pick up are Large Med-Packs, Phase Devices (mostly homing), Thermies, boosters and health items, and not much more. I'm hoping I can finally find an Energy-Shielded Vest to complete the armor I want (I already have all 5 mods for it), and I also am hoping for Chainsaws to complete my missing assemblies, and a Nuclear BFG wouldn't hurt either to slowly upgrade my current Nuclear VBFG.

My original plan was to botch my run if I stumble upon Dragonslayer, but I'm thinking this opportunity for hunting Cyberdemons as well as massively racking up my kill count is a better idea. I could potentially find a Dragonslayer on any run, but not often do I get to go on a murder spree.

That's all for now! More of this run to come!

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 16:42 »

If memory serves,  there might be issues with vest assemblies... but memory is very hazy so I could be completely off base with that one.  What exactly are you planning to make?

Also, be advised that picking up the Dragonslayer will not throw your run, especially since you have those 2 levels in Brute.  It is absolutely homicidal.  The only downside is the permanently red screen,  which makes differentiating mod packs(among other things)  a pain in the dick, especially if you're still looking to make assemblies.

Edit: just looked at your skill build... 3 levels of brute and 3 of hellrunner *AND* 3 of finesse? You would have to be outside of your mind to leave the Dragonslayer on the ground...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 22:24 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 21:25 »

Yeah, what Sereg said.  Don't get me wrong, a Nano-Super Shotgun with Shottyhead sounds blisteringly devastating, (and probably a lot of fun!)  :D  but I think you are vastly underestimating the destructive power of the Dragonslayer if you think it will "botch your run."

Burst Cannon Nuclear Plasma Rifles are quite good, definitely the best semi-infinite rapid-fire weapon, but because my build is based around Shottyhead, Eagle Eye is blocked. I just used them for when I ran out of shells.

In that case, personally, I would've put Sniper mods on them.  (I mean if you ever did find any?)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 15:12 »

I read up on Dragonslayer more carefully and realized what I overlooked. It does an average of 45 damage, which is solid for sure, but my Shotgun is obviously better. However, I forgot to consider that permanent Berserk also means permanent double melee damage! So yeah, Dragonslayer is kind on insane, ha!

And no, I never found any Sniper Packs before tossing them.

Day 7:

Many, many floors of murdering everything, but really nothing too thrilling. Some more uniques, lots of specials to increase my count towards 1000, and many, many kills. Lots of Cyberdemons too, which is good!

Then on floor 286, I finally found an Energy-Shielded Vest! Check it out:

It's insanely protective and I usually take 1 damage from everything now! Shortly after that, I found a second Nuclear BFG! Currently it's (BBF), so even just one more Firestorm Pack would be awesome!

So of course, I spent some more time thinking about Dragonslayer, and I've definitely shifted my opinion (back) to picking it up should I find it. I believe now it's the only missing unique besides Azrael's (which I could easily get), and it would be nice to get that badge, as well as work towards getting 3 for another badge in the future. With my Cybernano Energy-Shielded Vest, I should be fine enough to survive everything anyway, especially with +60% more resistances! On top, I'm going to be bottlenecking my ranking until I get more melee kills, so it'd be helpful for that too. The only downside is my armor is stuck to me, so I won't be able to pair up with Berserker's Armor, but that's okay.

I'm just a bit shy from the half-way mark now, and am getting faster at clearing levels. So long as I don't die, I should get this finished sometime during the weekend! It's a lot of fun, but it definitely takes some time, ha. I'm looking forward to going back to more normal games and collecting some more badges!

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 21:28 »

I guess I was hallucinating or something - looks like your vest assembly worked just fine. That is one hell of a piece of armor.

I know it's a grind, but keep it up - hopefully you do find the time to finish it this weekend.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 01:13 »

Quote from: DRL Wiki (energy-shielded vest page)
In the Cybernano assembly, it's almost IDDQD.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 14:46 »

Yeah, the armor is ridiculous! There are only a handful of other end-game contenders with it really. Since most damage gets reduced to 1, the multi-firing monsters are the only ones that can do anything really noticeable.

Day 8:

Powered through another 120ish floors and now at floor 450! Given that Biggest Fucking Gun at this point won't really change much of my gameplay, and there's not too much I can find that's useful, I've just been killing groups of monsters, searching for Cyberdemons, then leaving. If there are Computer/Tracking Maps around, I'll use those to seek out some more specials, Thermies, and Firestorm Packs, but otherwise, I'm not spending the time to fully explore the floors now. It's a diminishing return to spend 40 seconds looking for a single stray monster or a possible item, when I could get a fresh floor instead. Of course I still get uniques and listen for Cyberdemons, but not much else is really worth it. Kinda wishing I played on Ultra-Violence instead now for higher monster density, but that's okay.

My kill count is now just shy of 12000, which is a huge chunk of the progression towards the needed 50000! I also likely have collected 3 of every special, and have most of the uniques. It'll be nice for regular runs to finish all of these side-goals so that they don't distract from normal gameplay, such as holding onto useless mod packs only because they could make an assembly I hadn't made yet.

I have zero fear of dying given that I've only gone below 80 health once after a few hundred floors. Given that I have 100 HP, monsters can barely do anything, there are constant power-ups, I have a huge pile of Large Med-Packs and Phase Devices (and the Hell Staff), etc, there's just really no way I'm going to get killed. It's definitely fun being an unstoppable god, but it's unfortunately not really challenging, haha. The only scary thing is when barrels are beside specials.

I'm really looking forward to reviewing my own mortem and of course sharing it here when this is all done! I might be able to power through the rest of the run since I'm not fully exploring every floor anymore. We'll see!

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 11:11 »

Day 9:

Mission accomplished!

After nearly 15 hours, I finally finished Ao666! Like I had been saying, it was easy, just long. It was a lot of fun and I will definitely do it again on UV for 100% kills in the future!

Along the way on floor 498, I had my first (and only) staircase adjacent to me, and while there was no Compuer/Tracking Map, I decided for whatever reason to look around a bit, and found my first Chainsaw! A number of levels later to collect the mod packs, I made the Ripper with it:

I figured to make that and leave out Double Chainsaw for another time; it was the obvious choice. Besides that, it was just more slaughtering and stair-diving. Surprisingly, I never found a second Firestorm Pack, so that kind of sucked. Like I've mentioned though, I did nuke a ton of levels as well as started skipping chunks of them later on, but still somewhat unlucky to never find another. I think in total, I found 3 Onyx, 7 Nano, and 3 Sniper. Here's some final screenshots before I completed the run:

So with that completed, I got my Level 25 Medal, and a huge increase to my special/unique count and number of kills!

My Cyberdemon kill count is now a decent 61, leaving just 39 more! I was pretty disappointed on never finding any Cyberdemon caves throughout 666 floors. I still need a huge number of kills in general, and about 500 more melee kills, but a very good step forward! During the Ao666, I found every unique except for Dragonslayer :P, Berserker's Armor, and Subtle Knife, of which I only previously had Berserker's Armor, while also missing Azrael's Scythe. My total special/unique count was quite a bit lower than I thought it would be, so it'll still take a long time to reach 1000 with that. At least I have almost 3 of every special and 2 of the ones I don't. Overall, an excellent journey and improvement to getting to 100% in this game.

But, I wasn't yet satisfied and kept going.

The first thing to take care of was getting Double Chainsaw. The most sensical way of doing that was playing a Technician and going through all the bonus levels, as well as getting a guaranteed Chainsaw. I had some bad luck with packs, but I got it and completed my assembly list!

With that, I got my first diamond badge, my second platinum badge, and no longer need to build unnecessary assemblies! Very nice milestone to hit!

Next was getting Azrael's Scythe. The obvious way of doing this was playing on Ultra-Violence with a dual-angel of Berserk and Overconfidence, along with some good luck. My very first attempt was actually quite close, but the Angel of Death unfortunately barely won. A few tries later and I had an insane start:

With an Invulnerability 2 steps away, and a huge pack of monsters for experience in the other direction, I flew up the levels quickly, and the floor was cleared with ease! As expected, it was the run that got me Azrael's!

It's ridiculously strong and thought it'd be fun to play out the rest of the run. I tried out Whisper of Death too, which is cool. In fact, I ended up finishing with 100% kills!

I noticed after this run that I had 23 medals; 1 shy of getting a well-needed gold badge, and I figured the easiest one to get would be completing Hell's Armory without damage. Max Carnage+Confidence helped a lot, though I unfortunately got Deimos Anomaly. With some luck with teleporting into a non-attacking Zombieman, an Assault Shotgun waiting for me in the weapon room, a Power Pack, and luck with the Shamblers not hitting me, I managed to earn the medal on the harder of the two levels!

And finally, to get my 12th gold badge, I went for completing Angel of Shotgunnery on Ultra-Violence, with the help of Overconfidence! I stumbled onto a Super Shotgun and Hellwave Pack on the first floor, found some life-saving Phase Devices, and just barely survived on two different occasions! On the 7th floor, I started in a room with Archviles and Mancubi, with the staircase in the next room over. I literally was down to 1 HP left before healing. With a ridiculous amount of shells, and a Super Shotgun, I was set to get the badge, so long as I was patient. About two-thirds of my run here was slowly fighting the Spider Mastermind:

As long as you cornershoot, never step into the corners of the pillar, or shoot twice, it's very rare to get hit. I have a huge supply of patience, so I took the time, especially since this opportunity would likely not come back anytime soon. After a long battle, I got an untouched kill and reached the next ranking:

Excellent progress and very happy with all of these results! Moving forward will be 39 more Cyberdemon kills, leaving just 20000 more general kills and 50 JC kills to reach the Apostle ranking! I'll also be finishing up some more silver badges, collecting more specials/uniques, and slowly picking away at the more difficult badges! More to come!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13