Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: The Journey to 100%  (Read 82591 times)

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
  • First-try Veteran Angelic Badge
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey to 100%
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 09:43 »

Day 10:

I started off grinding some melee runs to finish getting 3 Longinus Spears, and getting to 2000 melee kills, and they came along quite easily. With those runs, I now maxed out my needed melee kills and reached Archvile rank!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also got 3 of each super special, except for Azrael's of which I only have 1 of so far. I also have 3 of every special except for Tristar Blaster, which I need just 1 more. Good progress in that area, but I still need a lot of uniques! I'm tempted to do another Ao666... :P

I continued picking away at some of the easier badges and medals, including Conqueror Badge, Lightfoot Badges, and Inquisitor Platinum Badge! One of my Humanity/Overconfidence runs went extremely well actually and I had made it to the Spider Mastermind with 2 Invulnerabilities stacked, and 0 damage prior, all set to get the Untouchable Medal and Cross. I played uncharacteristically risky like a dumbass and approached instead of camping around the pillar. The Spider Mastermind was extremely damaged, but just as I was about to get the kill, my Invulnerability ran out and I was quickly disposed of:

So that super sucked. Though I later realized I wouldn't have received the medals anyway. :P Following that, I got another similar run and just went with a nuke to score an easy victory:

Following that, I went to complete Angel of Purity on Ultra-Violence with the help of Overconfidence! The run was basically to survive the 7 floors as much as possible and take it super slow with the Spider Mastermind. You start off with enough ammo to kill her if you're patient enough, so I just had to play out enough runs to make it. That said, ammo was still quite tight and the battle was long. I think I spent about 12ish minutes, ran out of shells, and had to attack with the Combat Pistol (more ammo/damage efficiency than Minigun), but it got the job done! I was ready to throw my Combat Knife endlessly if necessary. :P

Getting my 2nd platinum badge also gave me another rank up!

Next, I played out some Light Travel. I came up with the strategy of going with a Cateye build combined with Max Carnage dual-angel, and used a mix of Shotguns and Chainguns. This sounds contradictory given that I have so little space in my inventory, but because I can see from so far away and always do max damage, I didn't really need to worry about carrying Med-Packs, and could entirely focus on ammo. I mostly used Shotgun/Combat Shotgun/Tactical Shotgun for the bulk of enemies, but had Chaingun/Gatling Gun in reserve for bosses and whenever I lost control of the level. Generally, my inventory would be both weapons, upgraded Red Armor, Boots (A), 1x Large Med-Pack, 1x Ammo Chain, and the rest being Shell Boxes/Shells. It worked wonderfully; the speed really helps a lot!

It's also super fun! So I did the same thing again on Hurt Me Plenty to get the gold badge:

It went well overall, except for a sketchy moment:

...and I even cleared out the City of Skulls and the Mortuary! I also had the opportunity to fight JC, but made the mistake of hitting him as a purple X, spawning Barons all over, and quickly getting flooded over by enemies. I think I could have won if not for that mistake, but oh well. Still got the medal and learned a little bit more! Funny that I still have 0 kills on JC since restarting this game. :P

One other little detail is I'm picking up more on advanced gameplay. When I was playing on Light Travel, I had an Invulnerability, Homing Phase Device, and the staircase all scattered throughout the level. Now, obviously I wouldn't be willing to give up one of my precious slots just for an easier next floor, but I realized the power of the U key and setup myself nicely:

I actually hadn't pieced this trick together before and would normally always carry the Homing Phase Device. In my defense I only had just learned about using U. :P Still, it's nice to see personal improvement in other ways besides badges, medals, etc.

I'm now currently at 26/20/16/3/1/0 for badges, and still slowly picking away at the rest of the silver badges. :P I'll get them done soon. I'm also seriously thinking of doing another Ao666 on Ultra-Violence for 100% kills to work on getting my ranking maxed out and to collect more specials and uniques. I had a lot of fun, and think that having more of a challenge next time would make it even funner! I'm wondering how well a Vampyre build would work?
v0.9.9.7G: [43|26/26/26/24/21/4]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 13:30 »

Well you've surpassed my bronze count, and you appear to be on track to catch silver soon.  The way you play,  you'll probably catch my platinum and diamond counts before too long, too. Keep at it... I look forward to continuing to follow this thread.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 19:54 »

...The Spider Mastermind was extremely damaged, but just as I was about to get the kill, my Invulnerability ran out and I was quickly disposed of

Ouch, that does suck.  :|  Remember to keep an eye on the INV message at the bottom of the screen while you're invulnerable; it darkens a few moves before the invulnerability wears off.  (Same with other power-ups too)  It's subtle and easy to miss, but really important in a battle like this.

One other little detail is I'm picking up more on advanced gameplay. When I was playing on Light Travel, I had an Invulnerability, Homing Phase Device, and the staircase all scattered throughout the level. Now, obviously I wouldn't be willing to give up one of my precious slots just for an easier next floor, but I realized the power of the U key and setup myself nicely:

Yup, adapting new strategies on the fly is my favourite part of this game.  :)

I'm now currently at 26/20/16/3/1/0 for badges, and still slowly picking away at the rest of the silver badges. :P I'll get them done soon.

*Gasp!*  You've caught up with my Bronze count!  :D  Might I suggest that you put your medal counts in your sig?  It's a nice thing to show off.  :)

I'm also seriously thinking of doing another Ao666 on Ultra-Violence for 100% kills to work on getting my ranking maxed out and to collect more specials and uniques. I had a lot of fun, and think that having more of a challenge next time would make it even funner! I'm wondering how well a Vampyre build would work?

Vampyre builds always work.  :)  The real question is do you have the patience to do 600+ levels of red screen?  :)

Well you've surpassed my bronze count...

Now I'm really curious about which Bronze you're missing.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Dr. Granola

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2017, 20:28 »

[JK]I'm starting to wonder if you people have no lives at this point. Or you have WAY too much free time. Looking at you Icy.[/JK]

But seriously, I applaud your DETERMINATION (Caps mandatory, you've earned it) and saintly patience for even thinking about doing this. Good job.

EDIT: And what does Sereg'd mean?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 21:20 by Dr. Granola »

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2017, 20:41 »

Now I'm really curious about which Bronze you're missing.

Eagerness. I suspect my only AoI wins have been Sereg'd.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 00:28 »

[JK]I'm starting to wonder if you people have no lives at this point. Or you have WAY too much free time. Looking at you Icy.[/JK]

Funny you should say that; I quit my job recently, so I actually do have extra free time lately.  :)

EDIT: And what does Sereg'd mean?

Sereg has become known for his habit of using the Dual-Angel ability to combine difficult challenges with Angel of Overconfidence to get a shortened game.  "Sereging" has become a term for getting extra badges for those challenges by winning that shortened game.

EDIT:  That was supposed to say "quit," not "quite," damn typos!  :P
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 13:09 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 05:59 »

And no,  my ego isn't big enough that I invented the term,  but after coming back from a leave of absence to find it in use, I found it appropriate and adopted it as well... god knows it's a common enough occurrence in my mortem write-ups.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 07:44 »

And no,  my ego isn't big enough that I invented the term,  but after coming back from a leave of absence to find it in use, I found it appropriate and adopted it as well... god knows it's a common enough occurrence in my mortem write-ups.
I take full responsibility for that.  =D

Edit: Wow, a 4-year-and-a-day term!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:46 by thelaptop »
I computed, therefore I was.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 13:12 »

I take full responsibility for that.  =D

Edit: Wow, a 4-year-and-a-day term!

The origin of a legend.  :D  The term's been in use so long, I'd completely forgotten who it came from.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 13:52 »

I'll never forget, at least. Smug bastard even corrected me when I used it wrong - by his standards. Pah.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 15:12 »

Thanks for the tip on power-ups, Tormuse, I didn't know that! Very good information to have; I'll have to test it out sometime and get a feel for how much time I have remaining during the colour changes.

Day 11:

So I tried out my Vampyre idea for Ao666 and perhaps expectedly, it didn't pan out well. I also tried a little bit with my usual Shottyhead setup, but didn't get anywhere worth mentioning. After that, I instead turned my attention to collecting some of the more annoying medals and badges.

To start, I got both Malicious Knives Cross and Strongman Silver Badge. Nothing too interesting really; I went with a Vampyre build with a Marine and killed everything with a Combat Knife (B), lol. :P It helped that I could earn both on I'm Too Young To Die, so it wasn't too challenging, but here's the mortem anyway:

Next was Brick Silver Badge. Now, I realized the trick to this was obviously Phase Devices, but I had a different strategy in mind:

...unfortunately, it didn't work. :P

So I buckled down and decided to get it done the old-fashioned way. However, in my run, I didn't find any Phase Devices, but was lucky enough to get a Sniper Pack from Hell's Armory to make a Plasmatic Shrapnel. Unfortunately, I had used up my Power Pack earlier on an armor. Then the game decided to just give me the run anyway, despite my embarrassing mistake. On Deimos 2, I found a Shockwave Pack, and then on Deimos 3, I found another one!

It was just enough to pierce open the wall, and even provided me with a spot to cornershoot from! It took some time to get all the kills, but I played it safely and eventually got the Backpack and badge!

I also completed my collection of 3 of every special on a run shortly after by getting a third Tristar Blaster:

Next, I set my sights on the Gambler's Shield medal. I figured I would need to rely on generated level luck, getting Phobos Lab, Deimos Lab, etc. I also used Hell's Arena, but left before getting the last kill to get some early experience, and to still get three levers in Chained Court. After some runs not being enough, I decided that I should rely on Limbo as well. I should mention that I had never even completed Limbo before, though I have beaten the Mortuary several times and have used a Homing Phase Device in Limbo to escape a couple times too.

So, I went with Max Carnage + Light Travel dual-angel for maximum offensive power, though still continuing to play safe and slow. I did my usual setup of Gatling Gun + Tactical Shotgun and everything was going swimmingly. No Phobos Lab (I never had this even once on my badge attempts), but I got Deimos Lab, a couple of multi-hit levers with summoning, and healing, and I even got City of Skulls for an extra one. On floor 12, I also got Enviroboots, which are exceptionally helpful, and in Deimos Lab, I got both a Minigun to replace my Gatling Gun, and a Firestorm Pack! On my run, I had the Cyberdemon spawn just a few spaces away from me, but I turned him into swiss cheese!

One mistake I stumbled upon later in the run was when I found an armor healing lever, I had both Enviroboots and Red Armor (O), so I couldn't use it. Good mental note to make for sure.

So I got Limbo and I was behind on the required lever count, and decided I didn't have any choice. Given that I have my dual-angel, my insane Minigun, and Enviroboots, I figured I could make it work. In fact, it went so well, that my very first completion of the level also earned me Angelic Badge! It was totally surreal, but I suppose in hindsight, not that surprisingly really. I destroyed the first couple of Archviles before they could do anything, wiped out the right-side, and took out the left. I also grabbed the Nuclear BFG9000 since I figured it's helpful with Max Carnage.

I was getting near the end of the game now and at 21 levers when I got Mt Erebus! At this point, I had to get into a serious mentality because I realized how awful this medal is to get, while I was guaranteed to get it so long as I played well. I wasn't nervous, but I had to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. It went very well, but I had a rough floor 23 and nearly died! Remember that I only had one Large Med-Pack and this was Max Carnage. Naturally, I would have to take the Spider Mastermind slow, though I did find a replacement Med-Pack before entering.

So I'm at the Spider Mastermind now and hit both levers (took awhile to do safely) when I realized that because I still had my Nuclear BFG and a Lava Element, I could take another shot at JC! I made sure that he clearly saw me this time. :P Once again though, the Minigun (F) with 2 levels of Triggerhappy, the dual-angel I was playing, all with an ammo chain to feed it, I swiss cheesed him too and finally got my JC kill! :P

In hindsight, the Enviroboots and Minigun were the MVPs, but I was so ecstatic to get such an insane run when trying for one of the most annoying medals to get, and finishing my collection of standard medals! I got exactly 26 levers pulled, I gained an extra medal with Angelic Badge that I was not in the slightest expecting to get, and I got to kill JC as a lovely bonus! What a fantastic run!

To put lightly, I got ridiculous luck with getting these medals and badges, and glad to be done with them. Now onto more fun challenges!

I'm now at 22/26 silver badges, missing UAC (lol), Lava, Skull, and Arachno. I'm confident I can easily get them all, but they may take some more luck to achieve. I'll try them out today and see how it goes!

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 22:09 »

So I tried out my Vampyre idea for Ao666 and perhaps expectedly, it didn't pan out well.

Like many builds, it's tricky to get started, but powerful once it gets going.  For the first bunch of levels, you're probably going to want to rely pretty heavily on your shotgun, (since Vampyre blocks Eagle Eye and SOB, so your Chaingun won't be very effective) and maybe wait until you get a Chainsword before you start to rely on melee.  In any case, good luck if you decide to try again.  :)

Next was Brick Silver Badge. Now, I realized the trick to this was obviously Phase Devices, but I had a different strategy in mind:

...unfortunately, it didn't work. :P

Ah yes, it's probably worth mentioning that it doesn't count the level as complete unless you go down the stairs.  :)

So I buckled down and decided to get it done the old-fashioned way. However, in my run, I didn't find any Phase Devices, but was lucky enough to get a Sniper Pack from Hell's Armory to make a Plasmatic Shrapnel. Unfortunately, I had used up my Power Pack earlier on an armor. Then the game decided to just give me the run anyway, despite my embarrassing mistake. On Deimos 2, I found a Shockwave Pack, and then on Deimos 3, I found another one!

Two shockwave packs is an amazingly lucky find!  :o  I suppose it's a bit late to mention it now, but if I'd known that you were trying for this badge, I would've pointed out that in AoB, you get a guaranteed Homing Phase Device at the end of Hell's Arena.  This makes that badge ever so slightly less luck-based.

...and in Deimos Lab, I got both a Minigun to replace my Gatling Gun, and a Firestorm Pack! On my run, I had the Cyberdemon spawn just a few spaces away from me, but I turned him into swiss cheese!...

...Once again though, the Minigun (F) with 2 levels of Triggerhappy, the dual-angel I was playing, all with an ammo chain to feed it, I swiss cheesed him too and finally got my JC kill! :P

Firestormed Minigun in AoMC sounds epically brutal!  :D  (or brutally epic?)  That must've been something to see.  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 22:11 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2017, 14:38 »

Day 12:

I started by getting UAC Silver Badge out of the way. Hurt Me Plenty was pretty easy overall, though I nearly died on Spider's Lair. I camped the upper-left wall, but got surrounded and had to use a Phase Device. I was sent almost directly to the staircase and considered just escaping, but I managed to regain control and grab the BFG. I generally play Shottyhead builds on runs without restrictions, but the Cyberdemon is a bit of a challenge, so getting the BFG was very important. Once I got far enough into the game and comfortable stair-diving, I quickly finished the game.

My next target was Lava Silver Badge. I went back and forth on playing through a Technician to get Cerberus Boots by the time I would reach Mt Erebus/Lava Pits, or playing out a Scout on Overconfidence and hoping for lucky item drops.

My first good run was with the Technician strat, and I built the boots on floor 7, which is insanely early! Especially considering the 4th pack must be Power, it was very lucky and I was set to go. Unfortunately though, I was fighting against an Elite Shotgun Guy in Military Base and didn't realize that his blasts can destroy the walls and my cover, which lead to me getting killed.

Frustrated, I tried a couple runs with the Scout strategy and wasn't having the luck needed. I had one particular run where I was looking set to go, but a Mancubus hit me and I got chained into a series of barrel explosions and died:

A couple runs later, I wasn't having the luck again, but I happened to stumble upon Grammaton Cleric Beretta, and decided to turn it into a run for killing the Spider Mastermind with it. All was going well, but on floor 7, I got banged up badly with an awkward position in a Cacodemon cave:

Keep in mind that with this being Angel of Impatience, I had no way of healing. So as usual, I took the Spider Mastermind on very slowly:

The plan was to damage her enough down to "almost dead", and then finish her off with Grammaton Cleric Beretta:

Fortunately, it went well and I got a surprise medal instead!

I'll probably try some more for that badge and rotate a bit with other goals!

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2017, 15:04 »

Nice progress.

I thought I saw someone mention this before, but I can't seem to find it now that I went to go quote it, so...

You should consider putting your Badge count in your signature, like Tormuse and I have(and several others on these forums) have them. I realize the way you're playing means you would have to be constantly updating it, but it'd be nice for those of us following your thread here to have a quick way to track your overall progress.

That, and the way you're going, it'll be a status symbol before long ;)
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 14:45 »

I definitely will in the future, but like you said, I'd be updating it constantly. Once all the easier badges and medals are all done, I'll start using one.

Day 13:

I decided to put my focus onto getting the Iron Skull medal today and did a little theorycrafting for this, knowing it would be a long grind to get. Given the requirements, I needed both a source of 10000 damage and a source of 10000 healing, and given that I'm restricted to normal games (no Ao100/666), that left Medical Armor and Vampyre for healing. I considered a Medical Armor (N) strategy with jumping in and out of lava/acid, but I wasn't 100% sure if it would like I envisioned it to, and it would also take quite a bit longer, at the trade-off of being significantly easier to execute.

So I went with Vampyre and played around in the City of Skulls. I wasn't too big of a fan of the strategy since I wasn't safe from being swarmed against Lost Souls, and would occasionally need to leave the nearby area to pick off a few at a time to heal back up. On top, the Pain Elemental is always roaming around and attacking. I came up with a better strategy idea and fortunately, I had the perfect setup for it in the same run just a couple floors later.

Essentially, I'd trap a Pain Elemental in a room with a barrel blocking its way, in order to cause it to continually create Lost Souls, without being able to move around, attack, etc, while at the same time, blocking off all walls around me so that only one Lost Soul could hit me if desired.

I would camp in this position and attack to the left until I reached maximum health before decay (150% since I only had one level of Badass). Then I would run out to get hit repeatedly:

Once I dropped to about 50%, I would run back in my hole to regain health. Rinse and repeat. This was much easier to execute, it was safer, and it was much faster too! I peaked around 120 damage a minute when I was clicking my mouse fast, and with some Lost Soul luck of jumping into the hole at a fast rate. After about an hour or so, I met the requirement:

Following that, I went to clear out the rest of the floor with my Super Shotgun and Invulnerability. There was literally a Lost Soul on every tile possible!

After all of that, I went on to finishing the run as well to get an easy Cyberdemon kill, as well as more in general too. Another benefit to this strategy compared to using Medical Amor is I increased my general kill count by well over 10000! I'm now about 900 more to reaching 50000 and maxing that statistic out for the rankings!

Following that, I went back to going for the Lava Silver Badge. I used the Scout strategy some more, had a few decent runs where I had no way across (I even tried rocket jumping :P), but then on one particular run...

The single best item I could hope for! All I had to do was survive this floor and make it into the secret staircase! Unfortunately though, I was getting swarmed and had a lot of trouble with Barons. I almost died in a situation where one could have attacked and luckily didn't, just as I ran to hide behind a wall:

Then going into the next floor, I had an Archvile starting with me in a room with no cover, and I just barely killed it!

And then finally, I was at the staircase down, but with barely any health and the risk of Cacodemons surrounding me upon entry, I went for some healing and ran into an Archvile, who then resurrected a Baron. I ran out of options and...

Definitely my most heartbreaking death. Getting Enviroboots on a run going for this badge is extremely lucky, but it went to waste. One important note with Angel of Impatience is that it's hard to recharge your running tactics when you can't carry health packs, and it's a very key part of using Shotgun builds.

A little later, I had another run where I scooped up Invulnerability just outside the staircase and actually made it across alive on Mt Erebus! I had a good supply of weapons and ammo, but I got blasted off by a Hell Knight and dunked into lava:

So no luck yet. It's been a battle so far trying to get this badge, so it'll be my main focus until I get it now. Hopefully soon!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13