Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: The Journey to 100%  (Read 82612 times)

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
  • First-try Veteran Angelic Badge
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey to 100%
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2017, 16:03 »

Day 14:

And so was another day attempting to get the Lava Silver Badge. It's honestly not that hard, but I've had a string of bad luck trying to get it. It's been quite elusive compared to everything else I've gone for so far, which has been annoying, but it's also expected as the easiest achievements are all done now.

I tried some more Scout strategy runs but wasn't getting anywhere, so I decided to buckle down with the Technician strategy again. Like last time, I combined Impatience with Light Travel and focused on building Cerberus Boots. Early on, I was close to finishing the boots, but they were starting to get quite damaged:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I entered Hell's Armory for a bunch more useful mod packs, and potentially some specials and uniques since I decided to go with Scavenger for weapon buffs. Lucky for me, the two in the room were Agility and Power, so I finished and maxed out the boots right away:

After I got the kill on the Shambler, something I hadn't seen before happened! Instead of a special mod pack, I had a Cybernetic Armor waiting for me! I thought it might be because I was using a Technician, but I learned more about how it worked after reading the wiki. I also learned how to get an additional rare mod pack, which is good information for future runs.

I wasn't certain if I should have worn the Cybernetic or used Scavenger, but ultimately I decided to use it with a Power Pack, along with setting myself up really well for finally getting the badge:

Unfortunately...

As my Cerberus Boots were already partially damaged, I wasn't receiving 100% resistances and cooked myself in the lava. It took me a moment to figure out what happened, and I was super disappointed with my own mistake. At least I learned a little more!

Not wanting to repeat that effort right away, I grinded some more Scout runs. After a number of them, I had one with Invulnerability right outside of Limbo, so I grabbed the Nuclear BFG9000, and then had 2x to stack them for Mt Erebus. After blowing up the level and still having a close battle with the Lava Elemental, I finally killed it on Angel of Impatience and got out of there! One of the cheesiest ways to get it for sure, but I was getting fed up with awful deaths trying to get it otherwise.

The next target was Skull Silver Badge. I went with a Vampyre build and wiped out the Abyssal Plains, but after hunting down a missing Hell Knight, I ended up getting blown up. The next run, I had the same issue with a missing Imp, but decided to leave and unsurprisingly wasn't rewarded the badge. Though on the positive, I happened to kill JC for a second time on that run:

With having an issue of monsters escaping, I considered grinding for City of Skulls with the same strategy, but decided it might be best to use a Shotgun build instead. I got City of Skulls anyway and easily cleared out the level:

I should mention that I actually was killed on this run, but I guess with the game being on Red Alert, the bomb killed the Spider Mastermind? It actually crashed the game for me and I was worried I'd have lost my badge, but fortunately that wasn't the case. :) Good programming, Kornel! <3

I actually risked this run earlier by being greedy in the Hell's Armory. I was down to 10 seconds and went for both of the mod packs within reach and escaped by the narrowest margin:

Finally, I decided to go for a faster grind with trying to collect more Azrael's Scythes to hit 3. After a few runs of mostly getting killed immediately, I managed to grab my second one. It was actually an exceptional run too with a Homing Phase Device, and several health packs, which is when I realized, I could go to The Vaults and use the Azrael strategy! So I did that successfully and got a surprise platinum badge I wasn't intentionally going for!

With that, I'm only missing Archno Silver Badge for silvers, and I'd like to get another platinum for Br. General ranking. I think I'm also going to target Apostle Insignia. The plan will be grinding Ao100 on Hey, Not Too Rough and hoping I get both Dragonslayer and Berserker Armor, likely with using a Vampyre build. Perhaps I can grab some more Cyberdemon kills while doing that too.

As for my overall progress so far:

Rankings: 72/100 Cyberdemon kills, 2/50 JC kills, everything else completed.
Medals: 29/43; all standard ones completed.
Items: 65/67 missing Dragonslayer and Subtle Knife, need 3 of both of those, 2 of Shielded Armor, Mjollnir, Trigun, BFG10K, 1 of Berserk Armor, Revenant's Launcher, Lava Armor, Azrael's Scythe, and I have 439/1000 for a badge.
Assemblies: 100% completed.
Bronze Badges: 100% completed.
Silver Badges: 25/26; missing Arachno Silver Badge.
Gold Badges: 16/26.
Platinum Badges: 4/26.
Diamond Badges: 1/26 (Technician Diamond Badge).
Angelic Badges: 0/17.

The more pages I can completely finish, the better! I'm definitely the type of person who absolutely loves getting those little checks on a checklist of things to do, so I want to finish up some more nearly completed pages and focus entirely on the harder stuff. I've made good progress overall in just 2 weeks, but still have a long way to go for 100%!
v0.9.9.7G: [43|26/26/26/24/21/4]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2017, 17:31 »

Nice progress - I think you've now pulled down all the Silver badges I'm missing, which are mostly special levels on challenges that don't play well together.

As far as grinding JC kills, I haven't done it yet because I can't stand the idea of playing that many games at such a low difficulty and losing my feel for UV and N!, but probably the quickest method would just be ITYTD Conqueror runs. You don't have to do all the levels, but you still get the supplies to make it to JC, and everything is super easy.

Ao100 and pray for DS/BA is probably one of the least efficient methods of grinding Apostle Insignia - in fact, I'm not entirely sure that Apostle kills count toward the JC killcount for Apostle rank =P
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2017, 10:49 »

Day 15:

My first target this time was Arachno Silver Badge to reach 26/26, and went with Darkness+Confidence to start. I had a couple of early runs with rummaging through Deimos Lab for equipment, but kept getting Halls of Carnage:

I eventually got one run with Spider's Lair, but had no Rocket Launcher for destroying corpses and ended up dying. I noticed after a little wiki browsing that regular Arachnotrons have -100% melee resistance, which I didn't know, so I went with a Vampyre build and using Light Travel. I had a long, solid run that was set to go, but again, got Halls of Carnage. Fortunately, my run after was insanely well-prepared and I rolled Spider's Lair:

As you can imagine, I crushed it:

Another JC kill was nice too! And with that, I've collected all of the silver badges!

Next was getting another platinum badge to reach the next ranking. I tried a few others, but ultimately went for Eagerness Platinum Badge using Impatience+Overconfidence and had a huge stroke of good luck with a pair of Invulnerabilities next to each other on floor 3, and then a second pair on floor 4, so I entered the Mortuary with 4x stacked Invulnerability! I grabbed the Nuclear BFG9000 and did some stair-diving until the end. They finally wore out when I was a few steps away to the stairs on floor 7, but the area was clear. Following that, I blew up the Spider Mastermind and reached Br General!

To fill in a few more easy medals, I went for Sunrise Iron Fist using a Vampyre build on I'm Too Young To Die, and it was total cake:

Then finally, I went for Every Soldier's Medal using Humanity+Confidence and played very, very slowly. I found a Missile Launcher and a Trigun in Deimos Lab, so Invulnerability or not, I was set to go. I rolled The Wall, and camped hard until the level was clear. I decided then that I should go for Spider-Killer Cross too if I'm lucky enough to get the level to spawn, and perhaps get Invulnerability just before entering. I actually did find one on floor 5, but it ran out before I could enter Spider's Lair, so I did it slow style with a Tactical Shotgun and careful camping to score the medal! To finish off, I was planning on nuking the Cyberdemon, but I couldn't get the Trigun to work? Was it because my gun was fully loaded? Or is it prevented on Angel of Humanity? Perhaps I just mis-clicked a bunch or something, but I couldn't set it off and died.

So doubling my initial goal, I got both of those Humanity medals, which brought my medal total to 32/43 and thus rewarding me with Heroic Platinum Badge! Very happy with that result!

I'm not entirely sure what my next goals will be as everything is getting grindier and more challenging, so I'll likely rotate what I go for and see what happens!

Here's my current checklist of what I'm missing to get to 100%:

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2017, 15:21 »

Day 16:

I was very successful and lucky in my play after rotating around and trying for a bunch of different medals and badges!

My first target was Longinus Platinum Badge, which while difficult is pretty reasonable with Berserk+Overconfidence. After many attempts, I rolled an insane floor 1:

And by a stroke of luck, I was warped just outside the Angel of Death's room with the Phase Device:

With Brute, Invulnerability, and a Chainsaw (T), I was barely able to kill the Angel of Death after countless attacks, and followed that up with clearing the rest of the level!

With that, I was one diamond badge away from another rank increase, so I tried a few and unsurprisingly struggled a lot. I'm not quite at the skill level required for these yet and went with strategy and luck grinding instead. I opted for Marksman Diamond Badge as I could play for getting a nuke on Spider Mastermind, and with some Invulnerability luck, I did just that! It was nice I also received Marksman Gold Badge too, which I was also missing!

I'm definitely running out on easy stuff now as I've kept saying, but moreso after every badge and medal! I went for Max Carnage+Overconfidence next and tried to avoid as much damage as possible to get the badge, though realized that this wouldn't work since Untouchable is incompatible with Overconfidence. I decided to play out the run anyway and hey, it turns out it does work! My guess is the Destroyer Badges check for damage itself rather than the medal.

Naturally, I went for Platinum next:

Very cool to get it the very next run! And of course, that left the Destroyer Diamond Badge on Nightmare! This one took some effort to get, and I had a few extremely trollish runs:

But with enough attempts, I got it! I lucked out on a string of Invulnerabilities and not only did I take less than 50, but I actually didn't take a single point of damage!

With having earned a surprise diamond badge I wasn't anticipating, I just needed another platinum badge to reach yet another rank increase! I went for Shottyman Platinum Badge with the intention of nuking the Spider Mastermind like usual, but instead, I had 2x stacked Invulnerability and just fired point blank until she died:

So I'm now at Lt. General with my badge count being 26/26/18/9/3/0! With my current struggles for more difficult badges, I'm going to put my focus into reaching Apostle ranking for the next while until it's done. I currently need 22 more Cyberdemon kills to reach Cyberdemon, and then 47 more JC kills to be 100% completed with that section. I've messed with a few strategies, including trying to get another Ao666 going, but I think the most efficient way so far for Cyberdemon killing is Angel of Pacifism and using the nuke on him. I've also messed with mixing it with Masochism for a consistent health boost every few floors, but am undecided which is easiest. I'm also not certain whether Scout or Marine is best for this grind, so I change up how I play frequently. 22 more is peanuts though and I wouldn't mind some more relaxed gameplay for awhile.

After that, I believe the most efficient way of getting JC kills is Berserk+Overconfidence Marine runs. Vampyre is excellent, and getting the Longinus Spear is very consistent and effective. I think fresh runs from the beginning aren't worth the time investment and getting a nuke+Invulnerability can be tricky. Perhaps there's a better method of grinding for JC kills, so I'll experiment a bit more, but these will be my goals for now!

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2017, 16:11 »

Nice progress... and congratulations on the damageless N! win. Sure it was on AoOC, so no Angelic Badge, but even I haven't managed that.  You are correct about Destroyer checking damage not the Medal - I also got my badge with OC, which should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

Keep up the good work... even if you feel like you're hitting a wall,  keep at it. There's always something else within reach,  and the more you push yourself,  the better you'll get under the conditions for the harder badges.

As far as that goes,  thanks again for starting this thread and motivating me to keep pushing myself, too. I've gone a bit quiet lately but I'm in the middle of a project which will take my profile to new heights,  and it's thanks to you that I'm doing so.

Edit: interesting thought on the JC farming with Berserk plus Overconfidence... that is probably faster then my ITYTD method, and I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that I didn't come up with it myself. Maybe we'll need to re-christen AoOC abuse as Icy-ing ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 16:30 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2017, 08:59 »

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what you're trying to complete yourself!

Day 17:

After some experimentation and research, I'm quite confident I've discovered the absolute best way to farm Cyberdemon kills. It honestly could be faster to use this method from 0 to 100 than even an Ao666 run on Ultra-Violence!

Start with choosing Angel of Pacifism, Hey, Not Too Rough, and Marine. Build your character with Hellrunner->Hellrunner->Tough as Nails->Tough as Nails->Dodgemaster, and then your pick between Badass and Ironman. I think Badass is the better pick, but there's an argument for both, and by the time you're far enough to choose between them, it's pretty negligible overall.

I tried using the Scout with his superior speed and early Intuition to search for Computer/Tracking Maps and Invulnerability, but the Marine's extra beefiness and in particular, extra power-up duration makes him by far the best choice. I was getting a Cyberdemon kill once about every 7-8 minutes, and with close to 95% run completion consistency! The first 4 floors can be a bit tricky to survive since you're quite weak, but on floor 5, you have access to Chained Court. It's definitely worth it to seek out the bonus level, even if the regular staircase starts in plain sight because 5x stacked Berserk Packs with their extra movement speed and resistances is extremely good! So long as you can find the staircases reasonably fast on floors 6 and 7, you'll be well into Deimos before they wear off!

Once you're in Deimos, you have a pile of Large Med-Packs from Phobos Anomaly and hopefully previous floors, nearly full health, and a fresh Red Armor. Most of the levels in this episode also have two sets of staircases, which significantly increases the speed of finishing each floor, and once you have Tough as Nails (received as soon as you finish Phobos), you're significantly sturdier when you're getting pelted by everything, in particular, melee attacks. The only bonus levels in Deimos I would skip are Abyssal Plains (though I did beat it once) and Halls of Carnage.

There's also a very cool trick for Angel of Pacifism. It's not correct to say that you get a level-up every third floor, rather, you get one on floors, 3, 6, 9, 12, etc, even if you enter bonus levels in between. However, if you enter a bonus level on any of these floors, you get an additional level-up as the game still treats you on that number! So for example on floor 9 when you receive a level-up, you can then enter Hell's Armory/Deimos Lab, still be treated as if you were on floor 9, and get an immediate level-up again! This helps a lot with building up your character, and while it's not necessary to go out of your way to find the bonus levels, they only make the run easier for when you do!

I completed nearly every attempt I did with this strategy, only dying to the early floors a few times, and zero deaths after Chained Court! My longest run was also just over 11 minutes, with my fastest being close to under 5 minutes! The speed, the consistency, the ease of execution all make this strategy phenomenal, and when you actually don't get a run, it's often due to a death at the beginning, so no real progress lost!

So with all that, I quickly finished off all the Cyberdemons I needed to get to the next ranking! All that remains now is 47x JC kills. I'll be doing some more research into figuring out the optimal way to grind for these and hopefully get Apostle ranking in a reasonable amount of time. I think Berserk+Overconfidence is the way to go, but perhaps a double nuke strat with Pacifism could be better? I'll have to see.

Here's the post-mortem of my fastest run. I'm very confident much faster can be completed too with good luck and intent to specifically finish as fast as possible:

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2017, 22:49 »

To finish off, I was planning on nuking the Cyberdemon, but I couldn't get the Trigun to work? Was it because my gun was fully loaded? Or is it prevented on Angel of Humanity? Perhaps I just mis-clicked a bunch or something, but I couldn't set it off and died.

None of those things should prevent it from working; shift-R should do the alternate reload which will give you a prompt that says something like "Activate the dangerous Angel Arm? [Y/n]" and then pushing shift-Y will immediately nuke the level.  I've never had any problems with it, so I'm not sure what happened in your game.

My first target was Longinus Platinum Badge, which while difficult is pretty reasonable with Berserk+Overconfidence.

Just out of curiosity, did you take advantage of the free berserk power-up you get from dropping and picking up the chainsaw?  (I love doing that)  :)

On level 2 he finally killed by a arachnotron.

I was momentarily confused by the weird grammar of the message, but then I realized that the Arachnotron killed you with its wimpy melee attack!  That's gotta be a rare event!  :D

There's also a very cool trick for Angel of Pacifism. It's not correct to say that you get a level-up every third floor, rather, you get one on floors, 3, 6, 9, 12, etc, even if you enter bonus levels in between. However, if you enter a bonus level on any of these floors, you get an additional level-up as the game still treats you on that number! So for example on floor 9 when you receive a level-up, you can then enter Hell's Armory/Deimos Lab, still be treated as if you were on floor 9, and get an immediate level-up again! This helps a lot with building up your character, and while it's not necessary to go out of your way to find the bonus levels, they only make the run easier for when you do!

Ah, thanks for this!  I noticed long ago that the AoPc level-ups don't happen as the game describes and that I sometimes get extra level-ups by entering special levels, but I never actually investigated it to figure out the pattern.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2017, 13:50 »

My guess is the Trigun doesn't work on Angel of Pacifism? Maybe there's a limit to how low your HP can go. I actually was wondering that if you had 12 max HP (Pacifism+Ironman) and used it 3 times, would your maximum HP be set to 0, or is there potential for a glitch due to an oversight and going into the negatives? Kind of wish I had tested it in hindsight.

I actually didn't know about the Chainsaw Berserk trick! That makes a huge difference!

Day 18:

I didn't progress too much as my focus was on theorycrafting an efficient strategy for JC, and I've narrowed it down to 4 different kinds. I still killed JC 5 times though and now at 8 kills, but still a long way to go before hitting 50.

Strat #1: Angel of Berserk + Overconfidence

With massive melee power with semi-permanent Berserk and Longinus Spear, the Mortuary/Limbo are quite easy, though Mt Erebus/Lava Pits can be an issue if you have to wade through lava. The resistances help though. This strategy gives the easiest time fighting JC, but getting started is hard given that you need to wipe out most of floor 1, followed by all of Unholy Cathedral. Not having known the Berserk trick with the Chainsaw though, that changes a lot and perhaps using this strategy will be much better. Before entering Unholy Cathedral, I like to be at level 2 + 44% so that I unlock Berserker just as I reach the Demons. They can be lured out into the lava, but not all of them will chase you into there.

Strat #2: Angel of Max Carnage + Red Alert

Instead of relying on finding nukes and going through Mortuary/Limbo, Red Alert provides that for you, so all you need is the Lava Element. Even stacked Invulnerability won't last enough and you can't set a fresh nuke when one is already counting down. Max Carnage is to help speed up the kills so you don't run out of time in each level, as well as making Mt Erebus/Limbo go faster. It's nice that you can skip all the bonus levels and can just play normal floors. For the Cyberdemon, I pick up Dodgemaster early and play it safe, then it's easy.

The downside to this strategy is you have to play through the entire game for each JC kill, so while it's reliable and pretty consistent as long as you don't make any mistakes, it takes awhile for each kill.

Strat #3: Angel of Max Carnage + Overconfidence

Being given an Assault Shotgun and Minigun while paired with Max Carnage makes getting kills easy. I get Intuition right away and take my time with each kill. Mortuary/Limbo isn't too bad with Plasma Rifle and Minigun against the Archviles, but if the run ever gets out of hand, it's nearly impossible to get back on track. The other nice thing is with no time limit like with Red Alert, I can camp with Nuclear BFG and kill everything slowly; particularly helpful in Lava Pits/Mt Erebus since Radiation Suits can be hard to find in time.

This is the main strategy I've been using as it's a very good balance of consistency and efficiency. It's also not too uncommon to find an additional nuke for JC, but if I have to fight him, Plasma Rifle and Minigun helps a lot. Fortunately in all of my runs with this strat, I've been able to blow him up right away, but JC is certainly the most dangerous to fight without a nuke when using this strategy, which is the main disadvantage.

Note that in the above run, it took much longer than necessary as I was firing my Nuclear BFG in the Lava Pits forever, not realizing there's a maximum projectile distance and that I wasn't killing all the Hell Knights. :P

Strat #4: Angel of Pacifism

By grabbing an additional nuke (Nuclear BFG or Thermie) along with Invulnerability before Spider Mastermind, you can double nuke the ending to kill JC. The Marine with this strat is very sturdy because of all the fast level-ups, as well as having a pretty easy start, but the obvious disadvantage is low consistency with relying on good luck towards the end. I tried it a bunch but actually haven't completed a run with this strategy. I definitely don't think it's worth using.

---

I'm leaning on using Max Carnage + Overconfidence as the best strat for efficient JC kills, but I'm going to revisit the Berserk strategy now that I know the Chainsaw trick to fix one of the hardest parts of those runs. The big plus is that if I ever am playing poorly or on a bad streak with a strategy I can rotate and use a different one. I'm not sure what strategy my kills will mainly be composed of, but regardless of how I play, I'm keeping my focus on getting those JC kills.

I might not get too many more kills right away as I do more research and testing, and this will all take awhile in any case, but I want to reach Apostle ranking!

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2017, 17:21 »

That run was long over, but I still need to mention something regarding cybernano armor and the Dragonslayer: You can't take off cybernano armor once you wear it.  I mean it's a moot point now since you didn't find the Dragonslayer, but it's something to keep in mind for next time.

you can't set a fresh nuke when one is already counting down

I found this out during one of my Ao666 runs, I tried to use a nuke when the dlevel already started with one and the game just yelled at me if I was crazy and prevented my nuke from being used.  I wonder if an active nuke would also prevent the Trigun's nuclear option from being used.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2017, 23:27 »

My guess is the Trigun doesn't work on Angel of Pacifism?

AoPc only blocks firing of weapons, not reloading.  You can still use the Angel Arm in AoPc because it's an alt-reload action.

Maybe there's a limit to how low your HP can go. I actually was wondering that if you had 12 max HP (Pacifism+Ironman) and used it 3 times, would your maximum HP be set to 0, or is there potential for a glitch due to an oversight and going into the negatives? Kind of wish I had tested it in hindsight.

This is possible; I don't actually know.  The Trigun is such a rare find that I've never really tested it because I'm afraid of making my max hitpoints go too low.

As for all your theorycrafting for getting JC kills, you made me curious about what I did, so I dug through my old mortems...  It seems that back in version 0.9.9.4, I just did a bunch of Scout Blademaster speedruns at HNTR.  (I use the word "speedrun" loosely; they weren't really that fast, because I had to secure the Nuclear BFG and Lava Element; 30-40 minutes each)  More recently, in 0.9.9.7, I padded my JC kills by playing AoB+AoOC and that went a lot faster.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2017, 05:27 »

This is possible; I don't actually know.  The Trigun is such a rare find that I've never really tested it because I'm afraid of making my max hitpoints go too low.

Alt-reload behavior on Tri-Gun:
being.hpmax = math.max( being.hpmax - 5, 10 )

Looks like it won't go below 10. Since that's the starting health on Angel of Humanity...feel free to nuke 'em till they glow :P

EDIT: Scratch that - you MUST have more than 10 hps to activate angel arm. Boo!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:28 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 05:53 »

Open source to the rescue again. Thanks for having a look at that, Maizure.

I suppose now that I'm trying to take up coding, I ought to get a copy of the source and see what I can learn from it...
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2017, 06:21 »

I suppose now that I'm trying to take up coding, I ought to get a copy of the source and see what I can learn from it...

Go for it - the source can provide you with a good number of code-reading exercises.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 07:30 »

Or porting it to something nicer than Pascal ;)

Actually, I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet...or maybe it has and I'm just behind the times
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 14:59 »

Yes, I typo'd and meant Angel of Humanity, not Pacifism, but seems you guys figured that out. Interesting detail on how it works with the Trigun! That would explain why I couldn't get to work. Good to know!

Day 19:

I learned the Chainsaw trick on Angel of Berserk+Overconfidence and tested it a little. I actually forgot that you also get the health boost to 100%, so it's even better than I initially imagined!

I also made the important discovery that it actually adds to your special/unique counter too! In fact, on Angel of Overconfidence when you start with the Combat Pistol, Assault Shotgun, and Minigun, you can add 3 each time by dropping them and picking them back up! So being distracted by that instead of grinding JC kills, I reached 1000!

That's a big scratch on another page, another platinum badge collected, and this helps significantly in regular games by having less distractions (collecting specials/uniques purely for increasing the counter)! I played on Max Carnage for runs where a unique spawned on floor 1, and I actually grabbed a few additional ones I needed towards getting 3 of each! All that remains now is Subtle Knife x3, Dragonslayer x3, BFG10K x2, Trigun x1, and Revenant's Launcher x1!

So with grinding that, I didn't play out as many JC runs as I was planning to, but still got a couple in and thoroughly tested Angel of Berserk+Overconfidence with my new knowledge. With essentially carrying around a Berserk Pack at the start, killing the Angel of Death to get going is now very common, rather than a grind to get a run! With Berserk's effects, ridiculous killing power, self-healing with Vampyre, and a trivial fight against JC himself, I'm very confident this is the #1 strategy for efficient JC kills! Max Carnage+Overconfidence is a bit too risky, especially when fighting JC, and Max Carnage+Red Alert, while certainly the easiest to play and extremely consistent, is quite a bit slower.

I got 2 more kills and now at 10/50, so still quite a few to go. Now that the research phase is complete though, I'll just be grinding runs and hopefully get my total increasing at a better rate.

Mt Erebus was interesting:

Good thing I had a Homing Phase Device! I also got a rather interesting colour aesthetic with the generated items:

If you are personally interested in hitting 1000 specials/uniques, definitely use the Overconfidence trick, and if you're interested in JC kills, I highly recommend going with Berserk+Overconfidence! I'll be continuing JC runs and perhaps hit 50 within a week to reach Apostle!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13