Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: The Journey to 100%  (Read 82618 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey to 100%
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2017, 21:19 »

Nicely done. I've completed my current mission, but despite it being a full 666 completion, and me stopping to collect every damn special item I could see, I'm still only at 517 or so. Although I suppose I don't really need the platinum badges anymore, I may decide to use your method(dude, you're really taking over the Sereging from me, here =P) in the interest of completion.

It also looks like you'll soon pass me in Experience Rank, and once you're done with your current grind, I have no doubt you'll catch my Skill Rank quickly.

Good luck, and keep it rolling.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
  • First-try Veteran Angelic Badge
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2017, 14:52 »

I saw your Ao666 completion, very nice! Yeah, I didn't get anywhere close to 1000 after my own Ao666.

I've always been a defensive, low-risk, strategic player, and I always specialize on figuring out every detail about games I play, what I can abuse, and all of what's possible. I have zero problems with cheesing for medals. Some people who have a similar playstyle tend to replace that with actual skill, but I'm very keen on developing that too. To be the best at anything and to reach difficult goals, you must be all encompassing and not restrain yourself over imaginary honor or swag. Optimization is the funnest aspect of gaming to me. <3

Day 20:

Nothing too exciting, just some more JC kills. After spending some more time using the Berserk+Overconfidence strat, it is without a doubt the #1 efficient way to farm runs! I got 6 more kills, bringing my total to 16/50. Still quite a bit to go!

Here's a post-mortem of another very fast run:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This run was also neat in that I got an early nuke and skipped Mortuary. With that, I was able to get 100% kills:

More to come!
v0.9.9.7G: [43|26/26/26/24/21/4]

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 13:46 »

Day 21:

Still continuing JC kills, now at 20/50! I had a bad streak of games due to poor decision making, terrible luck, and sometimes combinations of both, so I played out some Max Carnage+Overconfidence for a change of pace, and here's how that went:

Yeah...

This was my first run without having a double nuke and having to fight JC the old fashioned way. Unfortunately contrary to what I thought, the Minigun doesn't immediately tear him apart because of constant spawns getting in the way, him phasing into the dark, needing to heal frequently, and so forth. I eventually tried phasing away myself to regain control, but it turns out he'll endlessly fire rockets and spawn enemies, even from the opposite side of the level. Eventually, I got completely flooded over and started running out of ammo. This strat doesn't work nearly as well as I thought it did.

This run was pretty standard with the Berserk+Overconfidence strat, but I lucked out with stacked Invulnerability and a Homing Phase Device on floor 6, so I was able to skip the Lava Pits!

One of the big factors with Berserk being so good against JC is how powerful it is without need of Max Carnage, having constant healing through Vampyre, double damage with Berserk, and at least 60% melee resistance, but also frequently 85% fire resistance through stacking any leftover Envirosuits.

I'll need to buckle down and stick with Berserk strat and perhaps use Red Alert instead if I'm not playing particularly well.

That's all for now!

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2017, 14:01 »

Day 22:

25/50; halfway there! I had a hot streak early on and was hoping for more runs, but things went sour shortly after.

On one run, I had stacked Invulnerability and a Homing Phase Device again to skip Mt Erebus and finished with my fastest run yet for the sub 15!

And just two runs after that, I smashed it!

Following these runs was a bad streak of gameplay and luck, and sitting at 24/50, I really wanted to reach the half-way milestone, so I went with the true backup strat that actually works with Max Carnage+Red Alert, but as you can see by the completion time, it's strictly a backup strat:

I also had a funny run where I had collected 7 Phase Devices, none of which were Homing:

One detail I forgot to mention for the last few days is the usefulness of Combat Knives. I frequently carry at least one for destroying barrels, mainly for creating a more direct path from Invulnerability to the stairs, but occasionally for attacking monsters too.

I'm going to go beast mode this weekend and hopefully hit 50!

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2017, 09:14 »

Day 23:

32/50 now! Lots of solid runs and not too much difficulty in getting kills this time. I had one run to Lava Pits where I ran out of health and had to bail in hopes of finding a replacement Invulnerability on floor 7, but it didn't pan out. On a different run, I had Mt Erebus with no Envirosuits and played roulette with a Phase Device and happened to get one of the best possible locations:

Here's some post-mortems for your reading pleasure:

Then on floor 1 of a run, I found a Trigun!

Since it was an early start, I opted to go for Fallout Platinum Cross, I just needed to rely on luck with Invulnerability since there are so few floors on Angel of Overconfidence. Well, with some super appreciated luck, I got one on floor 2, with stairs nearby, and started to nuke everything!

On floor 5 it finally ran out and I started to get a little worried about completing. I was also worried about dying since I wasn't using my standard trait setup, on top of low inventory and low health. I clicked a Computer Map on floor 6 and this was revealed to me:

I carefully went straight for the Invulnerability and nuked some more floors. I was tempted to grab the Lava Element, but I didn't want to ruin such a rare run. In hindsight, there wasn't any risk, but I figured that I can always get another JC kill and not really another Trigun run. I made it to Dis just as Invulnerability ran out, so I missed out on killing JC, but that's perfectly fine by me.

One other cool thing that happened is with the heavy usage of Angel Arm, my health actually exceeded 200% for awhile:

I assume this happened since my health was larger than my maximum health and it doesn't scale down. Pretty neat! I used to simplify my thinking in that Badass x2 removes health decay, but since you can go over 200%, that's technically not true!

With that, I scratched another medal, of which is super annoying to get! My original plan was to grind a Scout with Intuition on Angel of Confidence and scouring through Hell's Armory/Deimos Lab until I got a Trigun. I'm very happy I don't have to do that! On top, this was my 3rd Trigun, so now I'm just missing Dragonslayer x3, Subtle Knife x3, and BFG10K x2!

Good progress with an extra surprise!

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2017, 09:32 »

Day 24:

38/50, getting closer to the end of this! I'm really looking forward to moving onto other goals afterwards.

I had one Max Carnage+Red Alert run that I was playing out trying to get 100% kills for the badge, but on one floor, I took one step around a corner and a Former Commando immediately melted me. Pretty crushed about that one, but at least I've seen the challenge is pretty easy and I look forward to trying it again.

Another little detail I've learned a few days ago is when you gib a Pain Elemental, it doesn't produce Lost Soul spawns on death, which is very handy to know! It helps plan out when I want to go Berserk, because they're quite annoying to deal with, and are one of the main causes of early deaths in my runs. I definitely miss having ranged attacks. :P

Also one on of my runs, I got a really cool map unlike one I've ever seen before so far:

Really neat how tiny the level was!

All that said, nothing too exciting again. I'm learning a lot of minor details in my play and getting better at my reasoning with the game, so I'm really keen on playing for badges and medals again!

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2017, 20:12 »

Interesting level - not sure I've seen that before.

Keep up the good work - not alot to say right now during your JC grind, but I'm still following your progress.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2017, 14:04 »

Yeah, not too fascinating with grinding the same thing repeatedly, but progress will be more interesting soon!

Day 25:

45/50 JC kills now and at the home stretch! If my luck pans out well, I'll get this done tonight!

I went for another attempt at Max Carnage+Red Alert for the Quartermaster Gold Badge while getting a JC kill and pulled it off this time:

I also had another neat level on one of my runs with an island completely detached from any bridges and walkways:

That's pretty much it for today! Apostle soon!

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2017, 15:01 »

Day 26:

After about a week of grinding for JC kills, I've finally reached 50 and achieved Apostle ranking! :D 100% completion of the ranking, all done forever!

I had a bit of a struggle getting the last 5 runs, but I was very motivated to get it done. After getting a bit annoyed again with Berserk+Overconfidence, I tried some more Max Carnage+Overconfidence and lucked out one run with a second nuke. Another run with it, I had the Jackhammer and yet I was still killed by JC. Once again, this strategy is very inconsistent and very difficult to complete without another nuke. With an extra however, it's very fast and easy.

Another run died to this:

Funny that it came up after the topic of rare maps.

I also am continuing to develop my gameplay skills and created a nice setup to deal with Cacodemons without putting myself in danger. I thought it was a bit clever. :)

When I got to 49/50, I had some more unlucky deaths and eventually got another run going where I started off with a nuke on floor 1, allowing me to skip Mortuary/Limbo. However, I repeatedly got into bad situations, had very low gear all throughout, and had to start stair-diving. I got to just outside the Lava Pits, but had no Platsteels, no Phase Devices, no Envirosuits (one on the next floor though :P), nothing, so the only hope left was finding Invulnerability on floor 7.

I step down and see this:

And with that, I was set to fight JC with by far the worst setup I've had compared to all of my 49 kills, making for a very climactic finish. I barely scrapped by with enough health and almost died a couple times, but did indeed secure the win:

So with that, no more JC runs! I'll probably be rotating around again on what to do next with all the badges and medals left! I could continue collecting the rest of the gold badges, or finishing more of the easy medals, or seeking out Dragonslayer, Subtle Knife, and BFG10K, or perhaps earn my first angelic badge! In any case, it'll be far more exciting and fun than what I've been up that last while here!

Very happy with this achievement!

scotherns

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2017, 01:10 »

Congratulations!
[26|26|22|15|7|0]
Arch-Vile Marshal

32/43 Medals

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2017, 14:42 »

Thanks!

Day 27:

With Apostle now done, I tried out a few challenges and rotated around. I had a few decent runs at some of them, but died repeatedly. Eventually, I decided to try for Masochist Gold Badge, and tried to combine Masochism+Pacifism, given that I'd get a guaranteed health boost every 3 levels. I think it's a decent strategy, but it wasn't working out for me. Instead, I opted for Max Carnage instead and that worked out much better. Since I'm a fairly careful and defensive player, the lack of health wasn't too big of a deal.

I focused a lot on killing everything since I wanted to keep up a flow of healing, and ended up getting 100% kills! I was at the Spider Mastermind and decided to nuke her for fun and continue the run with JC. Until now, I never got a kill on him with Max Carnage, but with more levels, Dodgemaster, and a BFG, it went much better! 51/50! :P

Dodgemaster is slowly becoming one of my new favorite traits! Fighting the Cyberdemon with it is a total joke.

After that, I went for Hunter Platinum Badge with Darkness+Overconfidence. Despite it being Nightmare, I figured I could luck out with Homing Phase Devices, Invulnerability, and nearby staircases. I had quite a few games where I got essentially insta-killed, and lots of troll runs too:

Guess I didn't have a choice with the game taunting me. :P

Eventually though, I managed to get a completed run. With Intuition, the Spider Mastermind fight was easy and I went about my usual corner camping to slowly kill her:

Pretty good to get 2 more badges! I can only expect that I'll have days, and eventually even weeks where I won't be earning anything new. It's already getting pretty tough! Hopefully things will keep going well for now!

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2017, 15:46 »

Day 28:

I went for a variety of badges and medals and actually got quite a few!

To start, my first target was Lightfoot Platinum Badge and figured the easiest way to go for it was Max Carnage+Light Travel. 20000 turns is quite a bit of leeway if you stairdive, and Max Carnage with Shotguns helps cover for a low experience level. It took a couple tries, but easily got it:

...or so I thought. I thought that maybe there was some additional restriction? I checked in-game and definitely completed what it says to do, so I checked the wiki, and it says the challenge must be done on Ultra-Violence, which I did not do. :/ A little annoyed by that, though it does make sense given it's a platinum badge. I'll go for it again on the correct difficulty in the future.

Next target was Chessmaster's Token which I got in one try!

Easy stuff with Max Carnage, though I definitely had a little luck on my side as well.

Next were Untouchable Medal and Untouchable Cross. These I was pretty confident I could get without too much trouble since they work well with my playstyle, though I still had to deal with tricky situations. I made a few foolish mistakes in one run, so ended up with just the Untouchable Medal:

Max Carnage+Light Travel is one of absolute favorite ways to play the game however, and since I was fairly close, I gave it some more effort. This time I played far more cautiously than even I would normally do, which was actually a lot of fun! I only got hit by enemies twice, and was forced to cross two acid rivers, but other than that, it was a flawless run:

So with that, I got 3 more medals, now totalling 36/43! My next target is another medal: Apostle Insignia! Time to grind for another kind of Apostle. :P

Strategy discussion time!

Going for this will be tricky since I rely on getting both Dragonslayer, Berserker Armor, and also surviving until the end. The obvious way of doing this is Ao100 or Ao666, of which, I'm leaning on 666 since I'll likely need as many floors as possible. Last time I did Ao666, I got every unique except for the Apostle set and Subtle Knife, so I don't want to be spending time on Ao100.

I also need a solid melee build for this, and I'm not a huge fan of Vampyre for long games. Malicious Blades looks cool, but it doesn't work in full with Dragonslayer, so that leaves Blademaster and it seems wicked! Of the traits available, I'll be wanting: Blademaster x1, Brute x5, Berserker x1, Hellrunner x3, Dodgemaster x1, Finesse x3, Intuition x2, Whizkid x2, and Ironman x5. That leaves 2 extra slots. Since it's also easiest to go from Shotgun->Melee, I'm one trait shy of Reloader x2 and Shottyman x1. Eagle Eye is useless, Juggler isn't really necessary, and the rest are blocked. I'll probably opt to skip Shottyman or Ironman, not sure which yet. Shottyman also becomes obsolete when I get Nano Super Shotgun, so it'll probably be skipped, and I'll temporarily gain from Reloader. If I stumble upon a very early Dragonslayer, maybe I'll go for Eagle Eye over Reloader since it's very mildly less useless.

As for armor and boots, perma-Berserk covers a good chunk of resistances with 60% to all, so I'll likely be more focused on movement speed. Phaseshift Armor (AOP) and Antigrav Phaseshift Boots (A) give 40% + 60% movement speed with 4 protection, indestructibility, 90% total resistance to Melee/Bullet/Shrapnel, and immunity to fluids. Pretty awesome! Inquisitor set is also quite nice with 90% total resistance to the other damage types, with total fire immunity and good movement speed too. I recall acid fluid not being a huge deal late into my Ao666, so I can live without needing that. Early on, I'll likely be rocking Cerberus Boots (A) as usual, or possibly Enviroboots if I find them. It's interesting that Cerberus Boots (A) is -20% movement speed, Enviroboots are -25% and Cerberus Boots are -30%. :P (PPTA+A) is an expensive cost for 5% extra movement speed!

Berserker Armor is pretty cool, but is super slow and protects as much as Phaseshift Armor, though the increase of it is an interesting mechanic. I imagine with my massive resistances already though that I'll be reducing a lot of hits down to 1 anyway and the extra bump to Melee/Bullet/Shrapnel probably isn't worth the slow movement speed and the spawning Nightmare Demons. I'll likely leave it in my inventory until just the very end. When I do wear it, I'll definitely be ditching Inquisitor set for Cerberus Boots (A) and Antigrav Phaseshift Boots (A), since the boots when solo are outclassed.

As for weapon before finding Dragonslayer, I'll definitely be using Nano Super Shotgun, or if I can't find one, Nano Shotgun. The other Shotguns are weaker and/or have a worse shotgun blast type, funny enough. Tactical Shotgun (P) is definitely the way to go until finding the needed Nano Pack.

It'll be pretty fun to test out all 3 sets that I haven't used before! I'm definitely going to build around using Shotguns until I find Dragonslayer, but I want to make sure I have Berserker early to help with picking it up. Maybe a spare Rocket Launcher and some Hatred Skulls will come in handy too. Scouts are also great with their extra movement speed and stair sense, along with the speedy Phaseshift set that I'll be able to fly through the floors once my build is complete. I'll need to kill most of everything early on to get that experience, but later will just be trying to get to the end without dying. I imagine the Apostle himself is weak though. This will also be a decent warm-up and learning experience for the eventual Ao666 on Nightmare.

With any luck, I can also find Subtle Knife and BFG10K as well to work on finishing my badges around collecting Uniques. I intend to grind for Apostle Insignia until I get it, but I'm also going to repeat this challenge a couple times until I also get 3x of everything. Shottyhead helped a lot last time, but I think with some caution, I'll be just fine without it.

I'm sure most of this strategizing is known and/or obvious, but it's my favorite part about gaming and I can't help but gush about it! <3 I think this grind will be a blast to do!

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2017, 16:31 »

While it's true that the Berserker Armor slows you down a lot, you can still get your movement speed down to 0.25 seconds with Hellrunner 3, antigrav phaseshift boots (A), and the permanent berserk effect from the Dragonslayer; and even a little bit faster than that as a scout.

Regardless, good luck with the Apostle.  And remember not to wear any armor you won't be able to remove other than the Berserker Armor.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2017, 19:48 »

Congrats on the Apostle rank!  :D

On a different run, I had Mt Erebus with no Envirosuits and played roulette with a Phase Device and happened to get one of the best possible locations:

That definitely was lucky; I once found out the hard way that there's a chance of teleporting inside the structure on that level and being unable to get out.  I avoid using phase devices on Mt. Erebus now.  Lava Pits, on the other hand, are a really good candidate for phase devices because they're pretty much guaranteed to take you closer to the envirosuits which you can use to get back again.

...or so I thought. I thought that maybe there was some additional restriction? I checked in-game and definitely completed what it says to do, so I checked the wiki, and it says the challenge must be done on Ultra-Violence, which I did not do. :/ A little annoyed by that, though it does make sense given it's a platinum badge. I'll go for it again on the correct difficulty in the future.

Yeah, that's an in-game typo.  You're not the only one to find that out the hard way.  :P

Strategy discussion time!...

You've got lots of sound strategy ideas.  I'll toss in my own two cents and say that for a lot of the mid-game of this challenge, it's a toss up whether to wear the Phaseshift set or the Inquisitor set; In my games, I would go back and forth between them, depending on what I was facing.  Once I'd assembled the Phaseshift antigravity boots and got that Onyx mod on the suit, though, the Phaseshift set was the way to go.  There's a lot to be said for being so fast you can get ten moves on your enemies before they can react.  :)

Also, it's worth noting that if you use the Inquisitor set, it's easy to get dependent on that 100% fire protection and forget to be cautious for those occasions when it dips below 50% durability and you lose the fire protection.  I found that out the very, very hard way.  :P  It's still an amazing set, but don't let your guard down.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2017, 12:33 »

Thanks, yeah I'm starting to really appreciate extremely high levels of movement speed. It's somewhat like being able to teleport around. I agree that I'll likely be using the Phaseshift set over Inquisitor set since fire immunity isn't that amazing, but I suppose at higher difficulties, taking 1 damage infinite times is far worse than taking 0 damage infinite times. I've also learned to watch the durability when I cooked myself in lava with damaged Cerberus Boots before, but that's nothing like what you did, jeez!

I also imagine Dragonslayer + Phaseshift Armor (AOP) + Antigrav Phaseshift Boots (A) is absurdly powerful with Blademaster since I can quickly move to any spot, obliterate an enemy instantaneously, and carry on at the same speed. Sounds like lots of fun!

Day 29:

I started trying some Ao666 after I studied the blade yesterday and got a decent run going, but unfortunately died due to a dumb mistake. Along the way though, I got a pretty cool cave map:

So I started a new run and got caught up pretty quickly. On one map, I ended up in a really cool tactical spot that only works because I had Cerberus Boots quite early:

My setup for traits has been Intuition x2, Finesse x2, Whizkid x2, then mixing with Hellrunner, Ironman, Dodgemaster, and Finesse. I'm taking a slight risk by getting Brute, Berserker, and Blademaster later on, but survivability while playing as a temporary Shotgun build is important.

This was my preliminary equipment setup, which is quite cheap to make:

Not too long after, I found Phaseshift Boots! Unfortunately, I forgot how the Antigrav assembly goes...

Whoops. I'll have to find a second pair.

I also got a Nano Pack and Onyx Pack relatively early, the former being very important. I'll be hanging onto it for as long as possible since I need it for Phaseshift Boots, but if ammo gets tight, it'll be used on either a Super Shotgun or a regular Shotgun:

I later decided to opt for more mid-game survivability and made a Cerberus Ballistic Vest (O), which has 0 armor, but insane resistances with 50% across with 70% for fire and acid! There's actually not enough space to list all 6 resistances in the upper-right corner, which is funny:

Some more time later, I found Inquisitor Boots and Phaseshift Armor! I've since thrown away the Phaseshift Boots though and used my Onyx Pack, but I can get more so it's not a big deal.

Then on the fairly early floor of 49, I got this:

Very happy to get this so early! As long as I can actually find Dragonslayer now, I should be good to go for killing the Apostle!

So with that, I got to floor 51 and am already quite ahead of pace of where I want to be! The most important item I can find right now is a Super Shotgun to complete my Nano Super Shotgun (P). I'm also on the hunt for Inquisitor Armor, another pair of Phaseshift Boots, Onyx and Nano Packs, and of course, Dragonslayer. Here's my status so far:

Funny enough, I haven't accomplished anything yet in terms of actual progress towards 100%. The only useful things that can come from this run are finding Dragonslayer, BFG10K, Subtle Knife, and killing the Apostle, all of which of course haven't happened yet. At this rate though, things are looking good! Hopefully I don't die! :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13