Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: The Journey to 100%  (Read 82568 times)

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey to 100%
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2017, 02:23 »

Psst...  The Apostle is yellow!  :D

Incorrect.  I just tested it by setting the rundelay to 100.  It slowed down run-waiting and run-moving.

Hmm. Might be different for tiles vs. ASCII version (I tested on tiles).

Unless I don't have Berserker trait!  :)  (Malicious Blades FTW!)  :D

Exactly :)
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2017, 13:27 »

Hmm. Might be different for tiles vs. ASCII version (I tested on tiles).

Oh, hmm...  I just retested with the graphics version and it seems that RunDelay has no effect whatsoever!  All the time passes instantly if you can't see the enemies, but if you can see them, (via tracking map) it animates every move at the same speed whether you set the delay to zero or 1 or 100 and it similarly doesn't affect run-moving.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
  • First-try Veteran Angelic Badge
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2017, 15:35 »

Interesting bit on RunDelay. I did some testing myself and couldn't find any difference either, but that's likely because I play on tiles. I never used the Run command since I can just move the way I want to myself and figured it was just a convenient movement option for ASCII players. Also good to better understand actions/turns/seconds, etc. One minor thing I did in the floor above Phobos Anomaly was switch to a Blue Armor when I grabbed the Invulnerability, which may have been enough to make the difference. More importantly though, I learned a valuable lesson in a scenario where nothing major was at stake.

Also really cool to see the Apostle's colour! I assume he looks like a regular Archvile with tiles then? Congrats on your run there, Tormuse!

Day 42:

I actually didn't play as much since I got way too interested in digging through the source code. :D I'm not a professional by any means, but I've done some programming before and could figure out most of what's going on while I was reading through.

Some things I figured out:

The massacre/damaging levers do 20 fire damage. This is enough to gib Zombiemen, Shotgun Guys, Chaingunners, and also kill Imps, while everything else just gets damaged. Armor should be applied to this damage too.

On the wiki, Lost Souls' speed value is listed as "varies". When moving normally around, they have 100% speed, and when attacking, they technically don't change speed value and instead move in a pre-set charging manner. I didn't dig into the fine details of exactly how it works, though deeply analyzing the enemies' AI might be a good investment in the future when going for the ridiculous angelic badges.

Bonus levels that have randomly spawned weapons (Hell's Armory, Deimos Lab, Vaults) always spawn ranged weapons, so no melee ones.

When generating items in a level, the full list of uncollected uniques is added into total weight, which I believe would imply that as you continue to gain uniques, the chances of getting a certain other one improves. In other words for example, finding a Dragonslayer is easier if you've already collected several other uniques.

With the above two in mind, it's very useful to collect all uniques, even if you don't intend to use them so that you can remove their weight values from the item generation list. On top, if you're seeking a Dragonslayer, or other unique melee weapon, it's recommended to enter all these bonus levels to try and force out some of the ranged uniques. Lava Pits and Mt Erebus are good too to try and spawn unique armors and boots.

Deimos Lab's special mod packs are a pairing of Firestorm, Nano, and Sniper. If I'm understanding it correctly, you can't get Onyx from this level.

Hell's Armory spawns a random pair of regular mod packs, and then one of Firestorm, Nano, and Sniper. If you clear the level damageless, one of the regular mod packs is then replaced by a Nano Pack, unless the spawned special mod pack is another Nano Pack, in which case the bonus one is an Onyx Pack. In simpler terms, you're guaranteed a Nano Pack, and have a uniform distribution of the others (all 1 in 3).

Angel Arm doesn't work when your health is 10 or less (as mentioned before in this thread), but the game also won't prompt you when you try:

Code: [Select]
if being:is_player() and being.hpmax > 10 then
This also explains why I couldn't get it to do anything on my Angel of Humanity run awhile back.

Interestingly, Azrael's Scythe has its coding done a little differently:

OnAltFire = function(self,being)
if being.tired then
ui.msg("You are too tired to invoke the Scythe!");
else

being.hpmax = math.max(being.hpmax - 5,5)
The game will only check if you're tired or not, but will not decrease your max HP below 5. In other words, you can use Whisper of Death indefinitely. With enough Med Packs, you can pseudo-nuke a floor (I used this strategy for clearing the vaults by luck awhile back).

---

I'm pretty sure I've analyzed everything above correctly, but if anyone notices mistakes, let me know!

Following that, I did still play a bit and went for Reaper Platinum Badge. The plan was to grab the Nuclear BFG which took care of both my ammo and my corpse problems. I had one good run with triple Invulnerability before the stairs, but rolled Mortuary and lost control. Limbo is better as the enemies are more stranded.

On my next good run, I had a great start:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And before the stairs, I had my first ever quadruple Invulnerability! Really insane! One of them was blown up, but I grabbed the other three, and fortunately also rolled Limbo! You can barely make out all four of them in my screenshot:

I made it to the Nuclear BFG without it being destroyed, and started firing away:

This badge is honestly really easy once you're properly setup. The only thing extra you'll need is some Med Packs when crossing the lava, but since there's one by the Nuclear BFG, it's not a big deal. The other nice thing is the distance from the switches to the far corners is short enough for the BFG shots to reach, so you never have to put yourself in danger. After patient killing, I cleared out Limbo on Nightmare!

Nice to get another badge without too much time spent playing.

More to come as always!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 14:58 by Icy »
v0.9.9.7G: [43|26/26/26/24/21/4]

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2017, 17:44 »

Bonus levels that have randomly spawned weapons (Hell's Armory, Deimos Lab, Vaults) always spawn ranged weapons, so no melee ones.

Uniques if they spawn are an exception, as I've gotten unique melee weapons like the Mjollnir from those levels before.

When generating items in a level, the full list of uncollected uniques is added into total weight, which I believe would imply that as you continue to gain uniques, the chances of getting a certain other one improves. In other words for example, finding a Dragonslayer is easier if you've already collected several other uniques.

With the above two in mind, it's very useful to collect all uniques, even if you don't intend to use them so that you can remove their weight values from the item generation list. On top, if you're seeking a Dragonslayer, or other unique melee weapon, it's recommended to enter all these bonus levels to try and force out some of the ranged uniques. Lava Pits and Mt Erebus are good too to try and spawn unique armors and boots.

I had a feeling it worked that way, though I pick them up anyway for logging purposes even if I don't intend to use them.

Deimos Lab's special mod packs are a pairing of Firestorm, Nano, and Sniper. If I'm understanding it correctly, you can't get Onyx from this level.

Strange, I've gotten onyxes from Deimos Lab before.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2017, 03:12 »

Psst...  Icy...  I caught up with your Gold badge count.  Your move.  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2017, 15:23 »

Sure thing Tormuse, I'll just nab a few angelic badges, don't mind me. ;)

I'm not sure what would cause a melee weapon to spawn in those bonus levels:

register_item "ubutcher"
{
name     = "Butcher's Cleaver",
color    = LIGHTGREEN,
sprite   = SPRITE_CLEAVER,
psprite  = SPRITE_PLAYER_CLEAVER,
level    = 1,
weight   = 2,
desc     = "Now that is a BIG cleaver. Butcher them!",
firstmsg = "Aaaah, fresh meat!",
flags    = { IF_UNIQUE, IF_HALFKNOCK, IF_CLEAVE, IF_BLADE },

type        = ITEMTYPE_MELEE,
damage      = "5d6",
damagetype  = DAMAGE_MELEE,
group       = "weapon-melee",
}

local vault_weapon = { level = 20, type = ITEMTYPE_RANGED, unique_mod = 5 }

['a'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['b'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['c'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['d'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['e'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['f'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['g'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['h'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['i'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },
['j'] = { "floor", item = level:roll_item( vault_weapon ) },

Most of every other weapon is itemtype_ranged except the melee weapons of course. Did you perhaps get one on an older version?

Also, I made an embarrassing mistake regarding the rewards on Hell's Armory and Deimos Lab. Onyx Packs can appear just like the others, just that they were listed last and past where I could see on my screen. :P I didn't notice the horizontal scrollbar and overlooked that bit.

The corrected information is Deimos Lab gives a random pair of regular packs and a random pair of special packs, all with equally probability. Hell's Armory gives a pair of regular packs and one random special pack. If you complete Hell's Armory without damage, one of the regular packs is replaced by a Nano Pack, unless the original special pack is already a Nano Pack, in which case, the extra is an Onyx. In simpler terms, you have a 50% chance of Nano+Onyx, 25% chance of Nano+Firestorm, and 25% chance of Nano+Sniper. That should be correct. :P

Schematics of course change the results, but they're not really important information once you've got all the assemblies anyway.

Another interesting piece of code I noticed was in Phobos Lab:

OnTick = function ()
if level.status == 1 then
if player.x < 12 then
ui.msg("The walls lower!")
generator.transmute( "wall", "floor", level.data.trap11 )
generator.transmute( "wall", "floor", level.data.trap12 )
------------------------------->player:remove_affect("enviro")
player:play_sound("door.open")
level.status = 2
end
elseif level.status == 2 then
if player.x > 30 then
ui.msg("The walls lower!")
generator.transmute( "wall", "floor", level.data.trap21 )
generator.transmute( "wall", "floor", level.data.trap22 )
------------------------------->player:remove_affect("enviro")
player:play_sound("door.open")
level.status = 3
end
end
end,

I always wondered why that would happen.

Day 43:

I put my attention on Lightfoot Platinum Badge, and started grinding for it on the correct difficulty this time. :P It's pretty straight-forward; play with Max Carnage+Light Travel, get Dodgemaster before reaching the Cyberdemon, hold onto enough Shells, and stairdive away. I had a lot of great runs die though, some to silly mistakes, others to bad luck. In particular, I was getting killed by the same thing repeatedly:

Funny enough, on my completed run, I found Acid-Proof Boots very early, though they didn't see any use.

Next up will be more rotating on a few challenges. I also noticed that some of my remaining medals are carbon copies of platinum badges. I would like to finish off my medals page at some point, and I've been thinking of tackling Gutts' Heart, and I've got three strategies in mind:

1) Hell Arena Pwnage: This is the only way to guarantee a Dragonslayer, but requires beating Hell's Arena with 0 damage, surviving the rest of Phobos and Deimos, and then killing the Angel of Death, all on Nightmare. I'm not exactly keen on trying this strategy out.

2) Angel of Berserk+Overconfidence: I get a Chainsaw, have many extra sources of Berserk, and start on the first floor that the Dragonslayer can actually spawn on. The drawbacks is it's a little tougher to get a run started and I can't use other weapons as backup. This might be the ideal strategy to use.

3) I'm Too Young To Die Grinding: By playing on the easiest difficulty, I can waltz through the floors, collect a pile of gear, and basically be immortal with how deep into game I'm at now. The obvious downside is there's a lot of gameplay before even having a chance to spawn the Dragonslayer, though those extra floors can be used to clear out some of the uniques.

I won't be grinding for Gutts' Heart right away, but it's a pretty low-key challenge that I can do when I'm having a poor session, or to wind down after more difficult gameplay. I'd like to get it out of the way soon.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2017, 17:15 »

1) Hell Arena Pwnage: This is the only way to guarantee a Dragonslayer, but requires beating Hell's Arena with 0 damage, surviving the rest of Phobos and Deimos, and then killing the Angel of Death, all on Nightmare. I'm not exactly keen on trying this strategy out.

I seem to recall that you're pretty fond of AoMC, though.  Wouldn't that make it relatively easy to get that medal?
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2017, 18:10 »

My biggest question with that strategy is how anyone is supposed to get the berserker armor.  Since DS comes first, how is it then possible to clear the mortuary on nightmare?
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2017, 21:35 »

Ah, hmm...  I was about to say you can stand over the bodies to let your enemies gib them, but then I realized that even with the berserk resistances, you're gonna take a lot of damage from the AoMC aspect of things.  :|  I guess you just wanna do it as fast as possible, before they have much time to revive anything.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2017, 21:37 »

I'm not sure what would cause a melee weapon to spawn in those bonus levels. Most of every other weapon is itemtype_ranged except the melee weapons of course. Did you perhaps get one on an older version?

Nah, it's been the current version for a few years now and I only started playing this game this year.

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2017, 09:39 »

The Berserker's Armor isn't necessary for Gutts' Heart, though getting it for an Apostle kill with that method is definitely crazy. Max Carnage helps for that first Gutts' Heart strat, but it's still a long game of not getting hit too many times. More particularly, I'm not fond of fighting the Angel of Death in that kind of run.

Day 44:

Very exceptional day for progress! I had a rocky start going for Angel of Humanity as a Conquerer and got pretty far on one decent run. Deimos Lab was nice to me with its weapons:

I also used a Run->Wait trick to take out the Arachnotrons with a Chainsaw:

Run->Wait is so good for Deimos Lab! :D

Then after healing with a Large Med-Pack, I fought the Shamblers and got one-shotted:

Pretty insane. I might have to hope for Hell's Armory to reasonably be able to complete this challenge. Again though, Angel of Death might be a problem on Angel of Humanity.

So after that, I decided to go for Reaper Diamond Badge, which is clearing Mortuary/Limbo on Angel of Confidence. My plan was to use the same Nuclear BFG strat as before, just with some extra stairdiving and such beforehand. On my run, I totally luckboxed it again by getting probably 8-10 Invulnerabilities through all the floors leading up, and even got Cyberdemon's Head lol:

I was fortunate to roll Limbo, which is significantly easier, but the spawns inside were bad and I had an Archvile on the Nuclear BFG island:

The issue here is I literally used all my ammo, so I only had my Nuclear BFG:

As I was firing away to the other islands, I kept getting swarmed by Nightmare Cacodemons. I had to fight about 6 of them, all while letting my Nuclear BFG recharge. Dodgemaster saved the day, but it was pretty intense and scary. Fortunately on Nightmare, enemies tend to be more aggressive with attacking and not so much with movement, so I was usually able to recharge before they go too close:

I took a few hits, but was lucky enough to have enough med packs to make it across:

From there, it was just more clearing:

I happened to get another Invulnerability before Dis and figured why not go for a full victory for a shot at another medal. It went about as well as you could expect. :P

The next badge I went for was Daredevil Diamond Badge, which is just beating Overconfidence on Nightmare with 80% kills. This didn't take too many tries and basically was just getting to floor 7 with an easy enemy to repeatedly kill:

I killed him several hundred times to get a high enough kill rate before fighting the Spider Mastermind. Thankfully, Run->Wait makes this so much easier than mashing Wait. :P I might not have tried it if not for that technique. Even just a hundred last time I did before was awful.

And with that badge:

So now I'm just 2 more diamond badges away from getting the awesome "Chaos" prefix to my ranking title! I'm not sure which I'm going to go for yet, but I'll do some more rotating and hopefully get some luck. :)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2017, 13:48 »

Congrats on the Diamonds!  :)  Gentle reminder to put your badges in your sig so we know your progress.  :)

I'm curious to know what build you're using for the AoHu game; obviously, Dodgemaster is a must for that Shambler battle, and you might want to consider leaving some of those crates intact so you have some cover.  (That corridor you died in was a really unfortunate place to be fighting them; no room to maneuver)

As for the AoD, possible strategies:

1)  Make Ballistic Armour assembly (or wear Ballistic Vest or similar) for the melee protection and just brute force it.

2)  Get yourself some high movement speed and a Ripper and kite the AoD while circling the Cathedral.

3)  Same as above, but throw Combat Knives.  (Takes a lot longer, but probably safer)

(Disclaimer:  I have never actually achieved Everyman Diamond; these are just ideas)

3 former humans
    15 former sergeants
    582 former captains
    5 imps

I think these ratios are hilarious.  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2017, 18:00 »

They're chaingunners, they deserve it.

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2017, 13:15 »

I'll make my signature once I reach Chaos Major. :)

For my Angel of Humanity game, I went with my usual Intuition x2->Hellrunner x2->Dodgemaster. I intend to keep using that for future runs as well.

Day 45:

I was thinking about "easy" diamond badges to get and decided to go for Eagerness Diamond Badge. I figured that with Angel of Overconfidence to help, I could just repeatedly try until I made it to the Spider Mastermind. I went with Eagle Eye x2->Intuition x2 for an easy fight at the end. After just a couple tries with lucky staircases and Invulnerabilities, I got it!

Naturally, my next choice was Inquisitor Diamond Badge...

With Angel of Purity+Overconfidence and as a Marine, I have no source at all of knowing where the stairs are, can't cheese with Invulnerability, can't really heal, and can't even use Light Amps. It's kinda hard. :P Envirosuits work though surprisingly.

The thing is though, there is potential to get super lucky and just get a ton of nearby staircases, Homing Phase Devices, and other dumb luck, and with both the power of patience and grinding, I want to get this now. It'll also make for an epic 9th diamond badge for the "Chaos" prefix! :) Apparently, it's a rare badge too as the only players confirmed to have it are Papilio and Sereg, though perhaps others quietly have achieved it too. It's another reason I want to get it!

So far, I've pumped out 150 runs, the majority of which end on the first floor because of getting obliterated, or because I'm not happy with my start.

I'm quite sad I couldn't make use of these Invulnerabilities:

Here's the game giving me the middle finger:

I've made it to floor 5 twice so far, and once to Limbo (forgetting I can't use Soulspheres :P). This was my best run, but I had a nasty start and unfortunately, the stairs were on the wrong side:

And here's the game giving me the other middle finger:

Some minor strategies do exist based around the bonus levels. Of course, it's always wise to take the first staircase you find, but if you have the option to enter Unholy Cathedral, Vaults, or Lava Pits/Mt Erebus, they're great for a quick item buffer and setup. Also in the odd case where you have a Homing Phase Device by floor 4 and happen to find Mortuary/Limbo, they can be advantageous as the Homing Phase Device is still taking you to floor 5, but through the bonus level, you can grab a Red Armor and Large Med-Pack as well, potentially also a Nuclear BFG. The only downside is if you luck out finding the normal staircase nearby, you could instead be going to floor 6.

My plan when I actually do get to the Spider Mastermind is just the same cheesy cornershooting. With a Combat Pistol, Ammo Chain, and all the ammo in the Minigun, I have more than enough to slowly poke away at her health. This is nice because I can freely use all the shells I need on the other floors.

I intend to continuously grind for the badge until I get it. Hopefully, the luck comes sooner than later! ;)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2017, 19:42 »

Nice progress. I will say that Inquisitor Diamond is probably not your next easiest option, however... that's easily one of the most difficult Diamond challenges, and I only got mine through absolutely incredible luck.

Not that I want to encourage you to give up, but if you're simply going for rank progression for now, I'd save that particular badge for later.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13