Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bug Topic  (Read 7230 times)

Tavana

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Bug Topic
« on: October 30, 2017, 06:21 »

Everyone loves playing DiabloRL because it's just that awesome. Sadly, bugs exist. So please let us know when you find them.

Useful information to post includes:
Version number
Operating system
What the bug is

Known bugs in DiabloRL 0.5.0:
The hydra spawned by the Guardian spell is not configured properly and will cause a stack overflow that will crash your game. Avoid casting it.
Damage/AC calculation is in need of some TLC.
Mortem text is also in need of some TLC.
Inventory and Quickskills are in need of some TLC.
Town Portal has errors if you avoid using it and walk back...and then use it again.
Also, errors happen if an item is sitting where the town portal appears and you cast it.
Selling an item and having nearly a full stack of gold can make your new gold disappear instead of drop to the ground.
Infravision does not work.
Knockback from weapons is conveyed to spells (and shouldn't be).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 00:27 by Tavana »
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Topic
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 10:10 »

Okay, in no particular order, here are the bugs as I found them.  These are all from version 0.5.0, using Windows 10.  (I know it's a longish list, but that's because I'm a bit of a perfectionist; DiabloRL is great, I swear!)  :D

Magical items should appear blue in your inventory.  (Likewise, unique items should appear yellow)  They appear as their proper colours when on the ground or in shops or when you're wearing them, but if they're in your main inventory, everything appears grey.  (Can probably also apply to potions and scrolls as they appear in your belt too)

Normally, if you can't wear or wield an item due to a stat being too low, the required stat appears red in the description of the item, but if the item is unidentified, it seems that a random stat appears red, even if you already have that level of stat.  For example, an item required strength of 17 and I had strength 20, but when I looked at the (unidentified) item, the "Strength 17" appeared in red; if anything, probably the word "unidentified" should be red instead.

Every time you buy a premium item in Griswold's shop, it reshuffles his inventory and he has a completely different set of items for sale.  I don't think this is intended.

Using Fast Travel often bumps into and goes down the stairs you just came out of.  It could probably use a tweak in the path-finding to go around stairs that are right next to you.  (BTW, love the Fast Travel system; it's a great feature)  :)

Inventory immediately closes when you put on or wield anything.  (Though not when you unready them, interestingly)  Similarly, the belt closes when you drop an item from it or transfer an item from the belt to the inventory.  (Though not from inventory to belt, interestingly)  I think they should remain open until you close them, regardless; I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in Diablo too.

Archer type enemies continue firing at you, even if they can't see you, even if you're out of sight radius of each other.  You can see the arrows they fire flash on the screen, even when they're on the other side of walls!

Using the look command to look at unique quest enemies that you can talk to (such as Gharbad and Snotspill) doesn't work.  After the quest has run its course and you can fight them, the look command works properly, but you should be able to look at them before talking to them.

Is Shadowdrinker (unique zombie) undead?  I tried firing holy bolts at him and they didn't seem to do any damage!

Minor typos:  In Adria's text for the Arkaine's Valor quest, should be "the" instead of "they" and in Ogden's text, the audio contains the phrase "the warrior," but that phrase is not in the text.

Murky Pools do nothing.  According to the Diablo wiki, they're supposed to cast the Infravision spell.

For Secluded Shrines, (which map out the level) it would be nice if there was some way to distinguish which areas I have been to and which are unexplored.  (Perhaps, it could map the walls, but not the floor?)  As it is, it makes exploration very difficult, because I have no idea where I've been!

If you're wielding a weapon that confers knockback, the knockback applies to spells you use as well.  (Such as Firebolt)  This shouldn't be.  It's supposed to be just hitting with the weapon that knocks enemies back.

Typo in the mortem text: "hypohondriac" should be "hypochondriac."  (I'm assuming this description applies to characters who overuse Pepin's healing ability)

Typo when you use mana potions:  "Megical" should be "magical."

Infravision doesn't reveal hidden or cloaked enemies.  It should.  In the original Diablo, that spell is a way of finding those guys.

When using ranged weapons, you can't manually target enemies at the edge of your range.  (Though if you push TAB to cycle through enemies, it targets them properly)

It doesn't seem to be possible to assign Quickskills, (hotkeys) or at least, if there's a way to do it, I can't figure it out.  I should be able to use F5 to F8 to choose pre-selected spells, rather than having to switch them manually every time.

You can't always shoot enemies you have line of sight with.  Like you can see them, but your shot tries to fly in a straight line and hits obstacles between you.  I imagine this would be difficult to correct, although maybe you can just borrow the algorithm from DRL?  :)

That's all for now.  I'm sure some of these are easier to fix than others, but they're pretty much all minor things.  If I come up with any more, I'll share them here.  :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:20 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

you

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • First Sergeant
  • I am You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 13:20 »

You sees this topic. You likes it. Post more bugs.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 14:34 »

Sure thing!  :D

A couple more minor ones:

If you have lots of Quickskill abilities, the size of the Quickskill menu doesn't expand to accommodate them and they stick out below the bottom of the border of the menu.

In the mortem, it consistently says, "killing 0 hellspawn" no matter how many kills you get.

I haven't played in the past week, but now that I know there's attention here, I'll try and see if I can find more.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:45 »

I mentioned elsewhere that bow weapons are overpowered, but it's probably worth mentioning here too to make it more official.  :)  I just finished a game, playing as a Sorcerer, where I used a bow as my primary weapon and had a heck of an easier time than when I was using the Sorcerer's staff and natural magic abilities.

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

The only reason I died was a result of boredom making me careless, since battles consisted of me holding my finger on the F key until everything was dead, with few enemies able to get close enough to do anything to me.  (And if they did, then I would back away and resume firing again)

The bow fires fast, has infinite ammo, and almost never misses.  In the above screenshot, 100% of shots hit; even the shots that missed hit something!  :P  Compare that to the melee weapons that frequently miss, (you can see in my Sorcerer video that I posted that there were a couple of times that I got five consecutive misses; something that would never happen with the bow) and it's bad for your health to be missing so frequently when something is pounding on you.  Factor in the fact that a vast majority of the enemies use only melee attacks and the whole thing becomes quite ridiculous!

I'd still like to know how the timing of actions in the game works.  My memory of the original Diablo is that each class is best at using its own weapons.  Like Rogues fire bows faster than other classes, Warriors use melee weapons faster, and Sorcerers use staves and cast spells faster.  In DiabloRL, that doesn't seem to be the case.  I didn't notice any difference in the timing between using a bow as the Sorcerer and using spells or staves.  The enemies shouldn't be getting double moves on the sorcerer when he's using a staff; if anything, he should be getting double moves on them.  Right now, it really feels like the Sorcerer is the "hard mode" character since he really, really struggles to use abilities he's supposed to be good at.  (It might also help his character to have other spells like Charged Bolt, Inferno, and Lightning available in the game, though that might be another issue altogether)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 21:42 »

I don't know if anyone's paying attention to this game, but I have a couple of bugs to report.  :)

Shields seem to be way, way overpowered.  If I recall correctly from the original Diablo, there's supposed to be a percentage chance of the shield blocking damage, and after each successful block, there's a delay before it can block again...  In this game, the chance of blocking is way too high, (something like 95% or more?) and there doesn't seem to be any delay; in fact, in my recent game, in some cases, I was surrounded and blocking multiple hits simultaneously!  It made me practically invulnerable for the whole game.

Also, gargoyles don't make any sound.  (Enemies represented by "G")  I'm pretty sure that's unintended.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: [1]