Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Music Review Trader  (Read 23939 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Music Review Trader
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:45 »

Hey all,

I thought I'd try something new again. Part of my spare time goes towards writing reviews of local bands, shows and releases for a rock/heavy oriented blog. It's a nice way to get introduced to music that I normally would never be confronted with. By way of exercise and further expansion of my horizon, I propose the following:

You give me the title of an album you enjoy listening too, preferably one that's available on YouTube or Spotify. I will gather my thoughts on it and put them in writing. In return, you receive a title from me, where you perform the same exercise on. No actual knowledge of music or production required, just listen to it and write down what you think/feel, and why.

I'll respond as soon as I can, but it may take some time. Luckily I can listen to virtually anything during my day job, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to get acquainted with the material.

Who wants to take a stab at this?
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
Re: Music Review Trader
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 14:58 »

I'd definitely be up for this. Always interested in finding more music.
Use power for power.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 18:01 »

* thelaptop grins evilly

Here, go to town on this one: 箫的叙说 by 张维良, a vertical bamboo flute a.k.a 箫 or "xiao" virtuoso player.

Have fun!
I computed, therefore I was.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 18:26 »

You all need to check out the discord server... lots of music being posted there last time I was on.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 18:29 »

You all need to check out the discord server... lots of music being posted there last time I was on.
I may be the Chaos Fanatic!, but I don't even have the time nowadays to hang out on IRC, let alone a proprietary implementation of IRC-lite.

You folks carry on there, okay?  And play nice -- I'm not there to conduct inquisitions.  >.<
I computed, therefore I was.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:00 »

Here, go to town on this one: 箫的叙说 by 张维良

Challenge accepted!

@Uranium, whenever you're ready, feed me a(n album) title...

@Sereg, yeah but the same goes for YouTube and Spotify. I think over the last 5 months (new job in which I'm allowed to use them as a radio) the albums I've discovered come close to outnumbering the cups of coffee I had. And that says a lot :S

If you want, check out my preferred listening here.

Dr. Granola

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 14:07 »

Guess I'll go first. I always look forward to sharing music. Sadly I don't know how to operate Spotify, so that limits me. Can you use Bandcamp?

The album I'll pick is Mag Mell by Mili. Most of the tracks are uploaded on their YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectMili.
Several songs from other albums can also be found there.
The album can be found on Bandcamp here: https://project-mili.bandcamp.com/album/mag-mell
I actually went for a physical disc, shipped from japan. For a first music CD I could've done worse, I believe.

Other links include...
Their website: http://projectmili.com/
A soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hamoloid

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 23:37 »

The album I'll pick is Mag Mell by Mili.

And accepted as well. Another title outside of my normal listening routine, thanks. As soon as I've found time to write a little on thelaptop's title, you're next.

Can you use Bandcamp?

Yeah of course, valid alternative.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 01:00 »

Artist: 张维良 (Zhang Weiliang)
Album: 箫的叙说 (Xiao’s Narrative)
Grade: 8/10
Motivation: Highly soothing and full of feels, but too much of the same by my personal frame of reference

Let me start off by stating that as far as my comfort zone goes, this album lands well outside of it. Most of the music I listen to is contemporary stuff belonging to any of the different rock traditions. Xiao’s Narrative, if I understand the descriptions correctly, is a collection of traditional Chinese/Eastern pieces given a new life. The album contains six duets between the xiao (flute) and konghou (harp), averaging about ten minutes in length. Although I have heard similar music countless times before, it’s always been in a setting where it served to support something else – think of movies, mainly. Listening to it taking the lead role is definitely worth the experience.

I find it hard to judge the skill level of the musicians, but the chemistry between them is obvious. The music is very dynamic, ranging from the demure to the exuberant and the production quality is excellent. Every minor detail in both instruments can be heard with perfect clarity and the sense of space is right on the mark.

Unfortunately, there is little I can say about the songs themselves. Translating the descriptions, I get the idea they deal with pretty esoteric themes – such as “the natural dynamics of water and clouds” – and the lack of lyrics makes the message even harder to interpret. I can only take the songs at face value, but to me, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The combination of the minimalistic orchestration and sublime production leaves the listener prepared to digest every single detail, and boy is there a lot to discover. The result is a highly immersive and incredibly relaxing hour’s worth of music which, if you were to shut out all the distractions of modern life, could very well leave you feeling a lot more at ease with yourself after a listening session.

The only downside to the album is that it doesn’t invite you to play it again from the beginning once it’s done. Inherent to the orchestration and writing tradition, most of the songs sound the same to the untrained ear, and if you were to have told me the album didn’t consist of six but of fifteen tracks, or of three, I wouldn’t have been surprised. Not being familiar with the music plays a big part in this of course, but either way it results in the variation being too little and the vibe being too alien to relate to it as I do to my preferred listening.

All in all I’m very pleased with the discovery though, and can highly recommend anyone to sacrifice sixty minutes, isolate themselves from any interference, sit down, close their eyes and simply let themselves be carried away. The world might be a slightly better place if everyone were to do this every once in a while.

@thelaptop: I find it hard to present you with a title that has any similarity to this one. The best I can offer you is an album that would generally also be more suited for passive than active listening. Please have a listen to Delìrium Còrdia by Fantômas.

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 05:11 »

I'll start you off with one of my faves: Murmuure's self-titled (and so far, only album ;_;). I saw it described as "blackened ritual industrial" once, and I can't think of a better way to describe it. Probably my favourite album cover ever, too.

Enjoy (hopefully)!
Use power for power.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 05:26 »

I'll start you off with one of my faves: Murmuure's self-titled (and so far, only album ;_;).

Oooooh! First impression is that I'm really going to like this one. You're on the list.

Dr. Granola

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 12:11 »

Jeezuz. You sure know your craft, don't you? That's one hell of an analysis.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 01:12 »

Jeezuz. You sure know your craft, don't you? That's one hell of an analysis.

Hehehe, thanks :D
I'm a far cry from being an expert, but I know my basics and what to listen for, so I can substantiate my opinion pretty well.
Your piece will be next, I've heard the entire album once now, will give it another go next week and get back to you with my report.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:24 by LuckyDee »

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 07:11 »

I kind of want to play, but I can't review music to save my life... but if you want another album to listen to, I submit Kamelot's Haven(I would also submit a link but I can't find a playlist with the full album that actually works). Don't worry, it's nothing like the last album I linked on these forums...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:20 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 07:55 »

Hehe, I'll check it out once I have the time. And don't worry, you don't have to be an expert to describe what you're hearing and how you feel about it. In fact, you might like it... :D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All